Social Shopping on the Internet

Discussion in 'General' started by mrblonde77, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Shopping on the internet becomes more popular every day and with this whole "web 2.0" epoch (*sigh* forgive my usage of such a silly term) a serious shift on the internet seems to be towards social networks - bringing the power of the internet to mass society. One of the biggest industries is retail (clothing stores) and it seems like there's a real hole in the retail market getting to the internet. Sure most stores have an online store but especially for clothing stores ... it seems like they can't get people to shop like people shop in malls. Malls bring the stores together and facilitate more buying because the stores are working together (like a society) rather than them all acting independently (like they do online with them all having their own website).

I've recently joined a company in the San Francisco Bay Area that makes a Facebook application called Moda.
    Basically we're trying to bring the idea of social shopping to Facebook. http://apps.facebook.com/modamoda

We've added a bunch of brands and some of their products to the site. If you check out a specific brand page you can browse through various products and vote whether you like or dislike each item. On a page for a specific clothing item you can also say if you own it or want it. In the latter case, the item would be added to your "wishlist" that your friends can see and when you're birthday comes up maybe you'll end up with the item! Also on a product page is a link to buy the item from the brand's website if you're interested in buying the item now.

What do you guys think of shopping online? How can you make it a social experience like everything else on the internet either already is or is moving towards? What's useful in helping you make a buying decision? How can you make shopping a more social event? What would be some things that you'd like to talk about with your friends (sales, etc?) or show off to them?

Personally, I think it's useful to check things out online before going to the mall or something to get a better understanding of exactly what I'm looking for. Or if I really like something I see online I'd just buy it online. I buy almost all my electronics and school supplies online mostly because it means I don't have to deal with the hassle of traffic, being pestered at a store AFK, or stand in line. But if you buy clothes online you can't really try them on which is sometimes a necessity. What do you guys think of shopping online vs. shopping at a mall or a store?

2. #2 Per Waui, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2009
    am I in the web 2.0 epoch? Sounds like a space station from eastern europe.

seriously though, throw up a comment section, chatbox whatever for the community to correspond/be heard.

I like the web for it's vast selection, information with items, quickness

I'd prefer to get it in person from a physical location so I can examine fit and finish personally and interact with the store via a person. It's just that the deal is usually online...

On a related note, definitely a time to use your money to support things you value since cash is becoming closely counted by businesses. I'm personally trying to support local businesses I like because a few have already gone under and I feel like without them we lose a piece of our neighborhoods...

3. I buy clothes online, but only if I know the brand and quality, know how it will fit, and if the shop has a good return policy. I think zappos.com, with their free shipping both ways and 365 day return policy, is the one of most buyer friendly places on the web. If more online clothing retailers had that policy I'd buy even more.

I like online shopping precisely because it is NOT social. I can get what I need without being distracted (or tempted with other shit), pay and be done. I don't have to deal with parking lots, crowds of people, or rude salespeople.

4. We do have a comment section on each product page and on FB you have the chat module right in there. Perhaps we could easily offer a way for people to chat to those people who've also voted on the item or something if those people are online.

Good point about shipping ... perhaps we could entice sales with some shipping deals.

Well those are the negative social aspects, and the Internet is great at eliminating those. When we say social shopping we mean to make your shopping more social with your friends so you can share what you like and such, precisely without having to deal with the hassle of going to a real store.