Sober thaught about reality.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Iceni Toker, Sep 23, 2009.

1. If your vision is created by light reflecting off of shapes and your eyes recieving the light, does that mean what we see is only what our brains interpret from the light signals? Is it possible that what we see is completely created in our heads, because that's all we can interpret reality as? We can't comprehend everything in the universe with just 5 senses, just because we only have 5 senses does that mean that what we can sense are the only components of reality?

2. idk man but that shit just got me thinking

3. That's hardcore!:smoking:

4. You know how theres atoms and subatomic particles and all that. What if they experience a similar "life" but they have less senses. And their random floating around or whatever is interpreted to them as having a life. Now imagine if were just a larger component of life that is the building blocks to some other kind of life. And as you said, the only way our brains can interpret it with our 5 senses is as this "life".

5. Our 5 senses will never be an accurate way to interpret the "actual" fabric of reality. They may do fine for the world around us, but on a universal level they are grossly in-accurate. Visible light (everything that we can see) is a paltry 1% of the entire spectrum of light. We're quite literally blind.

6. What we sense defines our reality. Any reality outside of that is rather useless since we can't interpret it.

7. But we can through other machines and the study of chemistry, physics, and mathematics.

We can, and actually must, perceive things that our five senses do not sense. You know that people study physics, you know that gravity is real, you know that nuclear reactions are real, etc.

But do you see gravity? Do you sense atomic nuclei fusing? But these things are part of our perception of our world. If we can only go off of what our five senses can sense the night sky might as well be a blanket with holes poked in it for the stars, but we all know, and perceive, better than that.

8. Yes.

Actually, that's exactly how it is.

9. And some people get it wrong...

10. I don't think it's just a mere coincidence that the film in my camera sees (almost) exactly what I see.

The ccd chip in your cell-phone sees the same thing too.

We can agree that we are looking at the same thing when we survey a scene, so whatever 'filter' or 'illusion' that is put on our brains is pretty consistent between all of us.

Sure, there is stuff out there we can't percieve (x-rays, infra-red, etc.), but the stuff we see doesn't merely appear in our head from nothing.

11. im sure there are infinite ways to sense your surroundings. we humans happen to have 5 senses that has helped us survive. what we see really is reality. however, certain drugs can change that:cool:

12. I like the way you think!

13. #13 tharedhead, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009

Plato's Cave

You may also like to check out Sir Arthur Eddington's "The Nature of the Physical World"

14. so does the world look different to each individual... ahhh my mind hurts now, cuz no one will ever know cuz you cant explain what you see, and what you do see we all think is normall.. cuz what if someone saw red, but there red was our blue, but we all looked at that chart in kindergarden and just know it as red, eventhough we might all see it different... ok my mind is rambling now, im so off topic

15. good stuff, if thats a sober thought, what do you think when your not?!?!? hahahahaha anyways I've thought of that stuff before too, esp when your out on a unfamiliar place on vacation or something. Out in nature will help you think more deep in life and figure out different concepts.

16. wat if these 5 senses have been given to us that let us survive this era, and when the next era comes (death?) we dont need those same 5 senses get another lot.