So you want to grow Marijuana, your ?'s answered here.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jcj77d, Jul 27, 2007.

1. what do you mean by watering until I have a couple of nodes? By watering you mean normal water or nute water? Because as of now, I am not giving any nutes at all to my seedling (day 5) and it is planted in a coco coir pellet. I do not know when will be the right time to give nutes water..

2. Mic is the resident hydro/coco expert so I’ll leave feeding up to him to tell you. But basically you want to start feeding nearly right away in coco as it has no nutrients to give to the plant since it’s inert. I believe his advice is to normally initially pre charge the coco by soaking it in a quite diluted nute mix initially (like 1/8 recommended or less).

Again I’m no expert on coco/ hydro.

You really should connect with mic and he could help you.

Edit: I forgot to say why I meant by that is until there are like 3-5 nodes you don’t have much of a root system so you want to go easy on the water. This is a different situation though with coco/hydro as it’s nearly impossible to over water in hydro/coco to my understanding. Someone who uses this medium would know far better than I though.

First to third grow. From beginner to novice lol.

3. That is the confusing part!! Some users tell me not to give it nutes at the start at all. Especially when it is still during its first 2 weeks of sprout.. One thing is that I did not pre-charge my coco coir pellets... Now Im worried... Is this Mic whom you are referring to??

Edit: my dilemma is posted here in this thread..

4. Hey. Ya look like you're gettin a little stressed out about it lol. Take a deep breath. These are weeds. They will grow in almost any environment. That being said. You can put your seeds into your dirt at any time you absolutely want. You can start them in dirt if you want. You can start them in a jiffy pellet and put them in the ground still whenever you want. I have started them every way you can think of. Sometimes I start them in a wet paper towel and put them in the dirt as soon as I see them starting to open. There really is no wrong answer here. The best thing you can do is be careful and dont break anything on it when transplanting.

It's going to grow as long as you get it in the dirt. When you do that is up to you. It's still gonna grow.

As for nutrients. The plant will let you know when water alone is not enough to feed it. It will react in some way. It could maybe be a little too light in color, it may droop or act different. Usually when it gets a set or two of fan leaves, it's safe to start out at 1/4th strength of your nutrients. The time frame for this could be around 2-3 weeks after planting. Maybe a little sooner or later depending on your strain. If you need help on what type of nutrients to use, take a second if you'd like and look at my grow journals. Both of them use different methods and nutrients so you can see how both do.

Your dirt has nutrients in it already starting off if it's new. Especially fox farms and the like which adds amendments into their soil before putting it in the bag. This is why your plant doesnt need any nutrients for the first couple weeks of life.

If you're planted in a coco pellet, I'd suggest to put it in dirt as soon as you see a root. It's only meant to get your seed to that stage anyways.

I hope this information helps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Indeed I am stressed! Hahaha! Thank you so much for taking your time to write this up. Informative and i needed this information. I understand that dirt/soil already contains some form of nutrients but my germination medium is either rockwool or Coco coir pellet (both not precharged with nutes) in which both contain zero amount of nutes for the plant to begin with.

Based on what you've typed, I'll just continue feeding water until it starts to show signs of nutes deficiency or probably when it has about 2-3 sets of fan leafs then I'll start with low dose of nutes. Sounds right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. #33746 MarcG420, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    The advice he gave you is true for SOIL not growing in coco and the user I mean is @MickFoster I think his user name is. You should look up his coco thread in the hydroponics section (I think that’s where it is). Growing in coco coir is essentially the same as growing hydroponically. In both cases you need nutes early I’m just not experienced with hydro so I couldn’t tell you how to go forward.

Edit: good resource: How to Grow Cannabis with Coco Coir (plus mini-tutorial on hydrating coco coir bricks) | Grow Weed Easy

First to third grow. From beginner to novice lol.

• Like Like x 1

7. Yes everyone I took into consideration that it's coco :p

Correct! Water also has trace minerals and also calcium etc that will keep the plant going for a week or two as well. When I do a hydro setup, I put a pump of nothing but water directly by my seeed so it stays moist. I dont feed it anything until the roots are in the water and leaves are established. Water can carry your plant a few steps of growth itself.

A good rule of thumb is that if its 2 weeks old, you'll probably be safe starting a 1/4th strength mix. That is usually long enough for the plant to get its legs and not die from that much of a mix.

Either way in this case regardless of medium, its safe to say you'd be okay in either instance to apply 1/4th strength nute mix if you feel so inclined. You'll be able to tell if it has an effect by the color and reaction of the plant.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Cool cool cool! You're very friendly and very helpful!! Thank you so so much!

Also, should I pre-charge my Coco coir when I prepare it to plant my seed?
    I am thinking of pre-charge/soaking my Coco pellet and Coco peat + perlite (70/30) in 1/4 strength seaweed extract then using it to plant a new seed for it to sprout.
    Will it burn my seedling in anyway or will the seedling be fine?

Cheers and peace ☮️

9. Yeah MickFoster! I've done my research thru reading his thread on the KISS method. This is where the confusing part is, his guide states that it's always feeding time for plants in Coco. Therefore I am inclined to think that with my plants first set of round and serrated leafs, I need to water nutes water to it. When I did, the plant's round leaf turned black and seems to be stunted. When I created a thread to ask about it, people tell me not to to give nutes that early. That is where I get really lost..
    Even the guide on GWE for Coco also states the same.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Here is a good link i think you maybenefit from.

Growing Strong Seedlings

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks alot bro! This is really useful to me. Especially the info on kelp extract. Because I've seen people using it for their plants and I'm thinking about using it for mine. Hahaha. Thanks heaps bro!! ☮️

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hello all! New to this thread, beginner grower this is my 3rd grow. 1st one was a success i think. Here are 2 Lemon Zkittle by Dutch Passion. 28 days old....topped 5 days ago. I am gonna be goin scrog again, had awesome results last time. This time around i wanna top more than once. So, when do i do the 2nd top? and where..do i just do the 2 tops that i just created from the 1st top? Pic Below of where i think i would top.

View attachment 2462263 View attachment 2462267 View attachment 2462268 View attachment 2462269

13. #33753 ocitown, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019

14. Just missin JCJ........

15. Hiii!!
    I am looking forward to grow some marijuana plants for medicinal usage and your article has helped me a lot. I've collected some important information from other sources also. Power cannabis seeds is also a very informative website regarding growing marijuana or cannabis seeds.

16. #33756 ocitown, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019

17. I've already made a thread about my problem but I figure it doesnt hurt to ask here too. I had 3 aute critical pruple seed that I germinated in a paper towel, 2 of them had tiny roots the other didnt crack at all so i tried again with that 1 with no luck so I guess that 1 died, anyway I planted the 2 others in the soil and its been about a week and nothing has sprouted at all yet. I want to know if there is anything I can do to help them sprout or if they are done for as well and i have to start over? And can I reuse my soil I'm using fox farm ocean forest soil. and How long should I give the seeds to sprout before i just go ahead and dig them up and start over? Is there any extra equipment I need right away to make the seeds sprout?

18. i bet. sorry . i wonder every day what happens when you die. But I would never be so brash to claim I know anything (other then we will all find out soon) and follow mans words of wisdom. Too many religions do.

19. I love seed germination in the soil more.
    1- What is the ambient temperature?
    2- What is the ambient humidity?
    3- How deep do you throw the seeds?

The base temperature must be good for cracking seeds.

20. I have questions please on:

does biobuzz fish mix during blooming affect the taste negativ?
    when to stop straightening / flattening the canopy?

see here please -> Frist Time Outdoor Automatics

I thought I might ask here too for some more advise