So, What happened to music?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by 420Stillblazin, Jun 8, 2012.

1. I remember growing up as a young boy listening to awesome bands like Sublime, Nirvana, Ratm, Green day, ect. Also some pretty awesome rap like Big, Pac, Wu Tang, and cypress hill just to name a few.

It seems like music used to be so much better. Now all i hear on the radio is some stupid pop shit or some bad rap such as lil wayne or drake.

Is it just me that enjoyed the music of the last century so much more?

2. I definitely prefer music that has some gray hair on it, but pop music has always been retarded. It's just that the retarded stuff doesn't get remembered fifty years later.

3. What do you mean? Their is great music everywhere, especially today! You just gotta know/ go find it.

But i still love all the older shit..

4. I agree there is still a lot of great music today, but it just does not compare to the old shit.

5. Eh, it's easier to stay in the past. All the bullshit got filtered out, so what's left is of higher quality on average. Naturally, this is only my opinion.

6. People died. Other people got old and retired.

Computers made it easy to make shitty music. Teens and preteens used technology to decide what the rest of us listen to. My two cents.

7. Generation gap or something man. Just how it works. Many parents said that about the "older music" you now listen to.
    I do agree. Music has gone to shit. Gotta look hard as fuck to find something good. A big step up is not listening to radio stations. I usually don't. But we got this bomb ass country station I listen too.

8. this.

9. That's the good thing about music: it can live forever in our hearts and souls. People will remember The Beatles in 2050 and (hopefully) forget about Drake.

10. I dont think people actually know what pop music is. Its not just Brittany Spears or Justin Beiber. Most of your favourite music has elements of pop in it. Nirvana's Nevermind album could even be considered pop.

11. How would Nevermind be considered pop? Its Grunge

12. #12 Mastertokes2.0, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2012
    Straight from wiki.

Pop music (a term that originally derives from an abbreviation of "popular") is a genre of popular music which originated in its modern form in the 1950s, deriving from rock and roll.[1] The terms popular music and pop music are often used interchangeably, even though the former is a description of music which is popular (and can include any style), whilst the latter is a specific genre containing qualities of mass appeal.[1]

As a genre, pop music is very eclectic, often borrowing elements from other styles including urban, dance, rock, Latin and country;[1] nonetheless, there are core elements which define pop. Such include generally short-to-medium length songs, written in a basic format (often the verse-chorus structure), as well as the common employment of repeated choruses, melodic tunes, and catchy hooks.[1]

13. There is so much good music today just not on the radio man!

The underground is booming with talent. Just have to search for it.

14. its hiding underground waiting for you to find it.

15. Music really hasn't changed much, but a lot of people are eager to talk about the old days.

There have always been Justin Biebers. There have always been Lady Gagas...

It's just a lot easier to hear about them now.

Just as there have always been seriously brutal war lords around the world. It's just a lot easier to know about them now with the internet.

16. #16 the cole phelps, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2012
    As far a popular artist go in 2012 this is how i feel about them and how they compare to 2010 when i hated everything

Jason derulo used to be god awful... The song '' in my head'' I fucking hated that shit....worse song ever..... wanted to kill someone everytime i heard it. However his new stuff is listenable... Hell allmost likable never thought i'd say that in 2010....

Adele is awesome and has alot of talent. Sure she sings break songs but you cant deny she has talent

Bruno mars isn't bad either i like his new ''friendship'' song. It's a beatuiful song. I love smoking weed and listening to that very chill track. btw i hated him in 2010...... HATED him

Justin bieber/One direction. I'll never like either of them.... just not my style

Lady gaga. Allways liked this chick even in 2010 when i hated everything

Katy perry. I have no real issue with her. I can listen to her songs and infact like most of them to some degree. So she's fine by me. Still not rushing out to buy her album though

Lmfao i liked them in 2010 but they're really mainstream now and they suck. Hated party rock anthem overrated, overplayed,overhyped and above all else SHIT. ''What happens at the party'' is bettter then P.R.A in everyway possible

17. Just don't listen to the radio anymore, its that simple. Listen to National Public Radio sometimes, it's the shit, seriously.

Or check out some new music, such as experimental rock, it's pretty good.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZS7-y45Vsc&feature=related]Portugal The Man "The Sun" - YouTube[/ame]

18. Well with that definition i guess a lot of music can be considered "pop"

19. People like Kendrick Lamar, Ab-Soul, Big K.R.I.T., Logic and other new artists are embracing the new style of hip hop but making it so much better. I wish I could still hear the type of sound people like Big Daddy Kane, Rakim and others used to produce, but with today's technology and advanced producing equipment, that's also pretty hard. Not only the new artists, but a lot of older artists are still keeping up with today's hip hop but still have the ability to mesmerise their listeners. People like Immortal Technique, Nas, Mos Def and many other artists are amongst that crowd.
    What Nas said regarding hip hop being dead was probably more along the lines of old school hip hop, and the fact that that type of hip hop doesn't appeal to the mainstream nowadays. Hip hop is definitely not dead, but it's extremely toned down since the 80's - early 90's. Even artists like El-P, KRS-One and MF Doom + Masta Ace are still keeping hip hop incredible with their perfect, structured rhymes and their variety amongst the topics they choose to rhyme about.

20. Selective memory is selective.

There was just as much, if not more shit music in the 70s, 80s, 90s as there is today.