so what are the actual dangers of mary jane?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by pandajoint, Aug 4, 2011.

1. i find this information extremely essential in the movement for legalization, but can't seem to get a clear idea of the actual dangers of our favourite plant, good ol mary jane.

so GC, what are the actual dangers of smoking pot?

2. too much happiness over a long period of time....possibly change lives for the better

3. imprisonment and..... yep that's about it

4. haha... keep em coming guys. :)

5. see WEED WORLD issue 91 from jan 2011. artical by an MD

6. people can become acutely psychotic after toking.

toking can aggravate/awaken some mental illness' in the user. (schizophrenia, depression, psychosis, panic attacks are examples.)

the inhalation of cannabis smoke temporarily paralyze the cilia in the lungs.

that's about it.

/flame barrier ACTIVATED

7. All of that above, and the illegalities of it. The fact that it's illegal is the most dangerous thing about it though. The only people who have ever died from marijuana were caught, and shot by the popo.

8. I honestly believe there is not 1 argument that can hold up these days against mary jane. I have asked people repeatedly to debate me and some do... some even spend days, weeks, months coming up with topics... I win every time... About the only thing that causes me concern is the fact of "smoking" something. Smoke in the lungs is inherently bad for you. Good thing there is other ways to administer the good ol plant.

But all in all.... there is not one good argument against mary jane. every one of em can be argued against and only completely dumb ass people fail to see the truth these days... mainly older people and people to set in the fucked up ways.

9. You can burn your fingers/lips on a roach.

10. Add that it can sometimes cure ambition and you got a pretty solid list.

11. It has the potential to dezombify people brainwashed by the government and media and think for themselves.

12. Let's see - I guess you could get busted with a plant and be ass-raped in prison for 5 to 10.

13. not a damm thing

14. Id love to hear from someone who knows facts but i have always kind of felt that some of the mental side effects that people some times have like anxiety and depression is more based on that fact thAt cannabis makes you think alot and see things clearly. Some times those things are not so plesent

15. Yea I saw on another site (not even going to try and find it now) that the whole argument that marijuana can cause psychotic episodes is very loose. Apparently studies that looked at this sort of thing didn't do a very good job accounting for other variables, such as genetics.

But with that said, I do on occation feel like I am going a little schizo when I smoke too much. Of course, I always feel fine after a half hour or so, but there is always that lingering possibility...;)

16. For Headies and syntaxterror:

SCHIZOPHRENIA/ MENTAL DISORDERS

radical notion (letter - 1974)
    The Paraprofessional -- Lambert 1 (11): 16 -- Schizophrenia Bulletin

Study Shows Long Term Marijuana Users Healthy (news - 1994)
    Erowid Cannabis Vault : Health Effects : Study #3

Recipe For Trouble (anecdotal/ news - 2002)
    Recipe For Trouble - 48 Hours - CBS News

Cannabis may treat psychiatric disorders (news - 2002)
    Cannabis may treat psychiatric disorders | Chemistry and Industry | Find Articles at BNET

Cannabis and the brain. (full - 2003)
    Cannabis and the brain -- Iversen 126 (6): 1252 -- Brain

Haloperidol, but not clozapine, produces dramatic catalepsy in delta9-THC-treated rats: possible clinical implications. (full - 2003)
    Haloperidol, but not clozapine, produces dramatic catalepsy in

Cannabis as a psychotropic medication (letter - 2004)
    Cannabis as a psychotropic medication -- Chaturvedi 185 (1): 78 -- The British Journal of Psychiatry

Aetiology - Review: current evidence does not show a strong causal relation between the use of cannabis in young people and psychosocial harm
    (abst - 2004) http://www.library.nhs.uk/mentalHeal...4106&tabID=289

Cannabis does not induce schizophrenia, Dutch scientists say (news - 2004)
    Cannabis does not induce schizophrenia, Dutch scientists say

Symptoms of schizotypy precede cannabis use. (full - 2005) http://socialsciences.people.hawaii....0and%20SPD.pdf

Cannabidiol as an antipsychotic. A double-blind, controlled clinical trial on cannabidiol vs. amisulpride in acute schizophrenia. (abst - 2005)
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Cannabis and schizophrenia link blurs further (news - 2005)
    Cannabis and schizophrenia link blurs further - health - 16 April 2005 - New Scientist

Chemicals in Cannabis may help mentally ill (news - 2005)
    Chemicals in Cannabis may help mentally ill

Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an antipsychotic drug.
    (full - 2006)
    Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research - Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an antipsychotic drug

The Mental Health Risks of Adolescent Cannabis Use (full - 2006)
    The Mental Health Risks of Adolescent Cannabis Use

Cannabis and psychosis (letter - 2006)
    Cannabis and psychosis

An Experimental Study of Catechol-O-Methyltransferase Val(158)Met Moderation of Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol-Induced Effects on Psychosis and Cognition. (abst - 2006)
    Unbound MEDLINE | An experimental study of catechol-o-methyltransferase Val158Met moderation of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol-induced effects on psychosis and cognition. Journal article abstract

Increased cannabinoid receptor density in the posterior cingulate cortex in schizophrenia. (needs free registration) (abst - 2006)
    http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/16710682

No Increased Schizophrenia Risk With Use Of Cannabis (news - 2006)
    No Increased Schizophrenia Risk With Use Of Cannabis: The Hempire - [cannabis, legalise]

Cannabis use does not cause schizophrenia (news - 2006)
    Cannabis use does not cause schizophrenia -Schizophrenia News-

Cannabis is a First-Line Treatment for Childhood Mental Disorders
    (news - 2006)
    Dr. Tod Mikuriya: Cannabis as a Frontline Treatment for Childhood Mental Disorders

Reefer Madness Refuted (letter - 2007)
    CMAJ -- eLetters for Kopala, 177 (8) 988

Anandamide levels in cerebrospinal fluid of first-episode schizophrenic patients: Impact of cannabis use. (abst - 2007)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Anandamide levels in cerebrospinal fluid of first-episode schizophrenic patients: Impact of cannabis use. Journal article abstract

Cannabinoids and psychosis. (abst - 2007)
    Cannabinoids and psychosis. [Int Rev Neurobiol. 2007] - PubMed result

Effects of cannabidiol on schizophrenia-like symptoms in people who use cannabis (full - 2008)
    Effects of cannabidiol on schizophrenia-like symptoms in people who use cannabis -- Morgan and Curran 192 (4): 306 -- The British Journal of Psychiatry

Maternal tobacco, cannabis and alcohol use during pregnancy and risk of adolescent psychotic symptoms in offspring. (full - 2009)
    Maternal tobacco, cannabis and alcohol use during pregnancy and risk of adolescent psychotic symptoms in offspring -- Zammit et al. 195 (4): 294 -- The British Journal of Psychiatry

Synthetic delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (dronabinol) can improve the symptoms of schizophrenia. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Synthetic delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (dronabinol) can improve the symptoms of schizophrenia. Journal article abstract

Parasitic brain infection, endocannabinoids, and schizophrenia. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Parasitic brain infection, endocannabinoids, and schizophrenia. Journal article abstract

The role of cannabis in cognitive functioning of patients with schizophrenia.
    (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | The role of cannabis in cognitive functioning of patients with schizophrenia. Journal article abstract

Cannabis use and deliberate self-harm in adolescence: a comparative analysis of associations in England and Norway. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Cannabis use and deliberate self-harm in adolescence: a comparative analysis of associations in England and Norway. Journal article abstract

Cannabis and suicide: longitudinal study. (abst - 2009)
    Cannabis and suicide: longitudinal study. [Br J Psychiatry. 2009] - PubMed result

Opposite relationships between cannabis use and neurocognitive functioning in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Opposite relationships between cannabis use and neurocognitive functioning in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Journal article

Can recreational doses of THC produce significant dopamine release in the human striatum? (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Can recreational doses of THC produce significant dopamine release in the human striatum? Journal article

If cannabis caused schizophrenia-how many cannabis users may need to be prevented in order to prevent one case of schizophrenia? England and Wales calculations. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | If cannabis caused schizophrenia--how many cannabis users may need to be prevented in order to prevent one case of schizophrenia? England and Wales calculations. Journal article

Minimal Relationship Between Cannabis And Schizophrenia Or Psychosis, Suggested By New Study (news - 2009)
    Minimal Relationship Between Cannabis And Schizophrenia Or Psychosis, Suggested By New Study

Schizophrenia link to cannabis denied (news - 2009)
    http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk...l/article.html

Maternal Marijuana use not Associated with Psychotic Symptoms , but Alcohol is (news -2009)
    Maternal Marijuana use not Associated with Psychotic Symptoms , but Alcohol is

Minimal Relationship Between Cannabis And Schizophrenia Or Psychosis, Suggested By New Study (news - 2009)
    Minimal Relationship Between Cannabis And Schizophrenia Or Psychosis, Suggested By New Study

Thank you, GrannyStormCrow. :smoke:

17. I personally think the people who have mental illness that smoke are self medicating instead of weed causing it I started for depression and OCD and it helps a lot but weed tends to bring out who you really are so there might be that.

18. It causes people to become lazy and eat lots of food. Hehe.

19. WARNING!

Smoking cannabis may lead to happiness, giggling, euphoria, open mindedness as well as abstract thoughts, suppression/elimination of aggressive behavior or otherwise negative moods, enlightenment, increased appreciation for a variety of occurences, further love of music, relaxation, pain relinquishment, amongst many other non government approved benefits.

( I really hope that on a medicinal container, that the dispensaries list this, as per example of how you see all of the warnings on meds produced by Big Pharma)

In all honesty, there is no real long term damage that ingestion of cannabis. Other than breathing hot smoke, which damages cilia, or psychological addiction ( which can occur with any substance to a person whom is weak willed and irresponsible), it is a miracle plant in my book

20. i think that's basically it right? no brain damage, no direct link to psychosis, entirely non addictive. just damage to the cilia and some sort of an effect on the respiratory system, and one could get that from inhaling smoke in general, not specifically marijuana smoke.

thanks GC. any more information is definitely welcome!