So People are Complaining about The Politics Section

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aaronman, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Nice - bashing a FORMER moderator = not cool man

2. All he seems to be suggesting is that, in his opinion, AKInfinity overreacted to stuff.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing.

How is forming and sharing an opinion on a forum a bad thing? It's not like he was insulting the dude's mother. This is kind of what I was talking about before, which you don't seem to care to acknowledge: people need to be responsible for their own reactions, perceptions, and emotions to what others post. Censoring everything that one person or another might find offensive ultimately defeats the purpose of having a discussion forum in the first place, doesn't it?

3. When expressing that opinion violates the rules of the forum is when I have a problem.

4. So questioning the rules is also out of the question, so long as they are enumerated? That's something of a paradoxical position to take on a cannabis forum, wouldn't you say?

How was his opinion a source of unnecessary drama until you took offense to it? It seemed to be largely unremarkable until then.

Technically, he also wasn't discussing any particular action of moderation. All he did was state a name which he associated with overreacting.

Just saying.

5. lately, it seems that in every thread i've been able to tell exactly which posts escalate the situation

shit just got real

6. Dude, do you have to argue EVERYTHING LITTLE THING? Having open contempt for the moderators and rules of the forum, that's not a really good way to ingratiate yourself, JUST SAYING.

7. I'm pretty new to GC and I love the Politics board, it's the only place that I feel like there is a genuine level of maturity and critical thinking (comparatively).

Now I know that I don't post all that often in here, but I have never felt threatened or bullied by any of the longstanding GC Politics posters. Sure, someone may have disagreed with what I may have said here and there, but like others have said, that's politics, that's what makes it great. You really do have to have some thick skin if you are going to debate political matters, if you are going to get really upset when someone disagrees with you or calls you out about an erroneous statement, then maybe politics isn't really for you.

What I really love about it is it is a truly unbiased place for information, we get articles and ideas from all over the political spectrum.

8. I have no intention to remove it..... maybe mae it better sure, but remove no...

SJ

9. What contempt? Again, he associated the name with what he considers an attitude of overreaction. How is this contemptuous?

Also, you even pointed it this is now a former moderator. So having moderator status, at one point or another, should indefinitely render you immune to public scrutiny or criticism?

10. Super "J"?

11. Err, while we're talking about stuff, do we really need a 2008 Presidential Elections sub-forum?

12. What's the big deal? If you can't handle talking politics, stay the fuck out of the politics section. Common sense?

13. No

Yes

14. I concur, it's time for it to be moved or something :)

15. This has gone too far.

First off, there was no mod bashing. Suggesting that someone overreacts to something is way different than true mod bashing. I know all about mod bashing. That wasn't mod bashing.

As I stated in an earlier post, the Politics forum is here to stay. Name-calling will never float in here. I don't care how heated a debate might get. There's no place for that anywhere at the City.

Disrespect won't float either. I'm referring to true disrespect, though.

Based on an example posted earlier on page 4, if someone addresses a group of people that happens to be angry by saying "you angry (insert group)" then, to me, that isn't disrespectful. If a fellow member is angry and another member points out that they're angry, then it's just not disrespect...not in the General forum, not in Real Life Stories, not in Planes, Trains and Automobiles...so, it shouldn't be deemed disrespect in here just because this is the Politics forum.

Things are going to get heated in here and people are going to be offended. I mean, people are talking Politics. It is what it is. It's the intentional disrespect, the attacks on other members rather than the ideas of other members, the name-calling...those are the things that need to be eliminated. You can have a debate without belittling other members and without calling them names. You can. I see it happen. I have faith in you guys to be able to have debates without all of the hate.

So, chill with all of that and I'll make sure things are moderated fairly, as they should be. With us all working together, this forum will be ok. It's never going to be warm and fuzzy...so, please, don't expect that. In fact, if it gets warm and fuzzy in here, please report it to me. ;)

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.