So many choices of LEDs what good

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by UnTameD_Crops, Feb 13, 2017.

1. ATM I have a mars2 400w in a 4x2 looking to up grade that and replace a 4x4 tents that has a 1000w hps. I'm look for advice on light companies out in the market, platinum,next,timber,black dog, kind. Any advice on new stuff lmk. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. For the latest I would say timber or cobkits if you are going DIY, some new Vero COB chips coming out soon (I think), may want to wait a bit.
    rapidled.com
    timbergrowlights.com
    northerngrowlights.com/collections/all/diy
    cobkits.com

Personally I wouldn't buy any of the brands you mentioned. Not because they wont work, simply just too costly for what you get. imo

• Like Like x 3
  3. Thanks for the insight. I also found chilled led. I like there's because the use of different spectrums.

4. From what I've seen Amare looks impressive, considering an SE450 for a 4x4

• Like Like x 1
  5. I like the ability with cons having such an ability to make great coverage.

6. #6 bosgrower, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Take a look at the northerngrowlights.com 304 quantum boards with slate 1 heat sinks. If you're keeping the 2x4 for a veg tent, 2 of those board in the 5000K range with a Mean Well HLG-240H-C1050B driver will be awesome for your veg tent. Not sure if northern sells that driver, but rapidled.com has them in stock.
    For flower, the new Luminus cmx-22 3000K chips at cobkits.com look really strong - although you could make a case for 4 of the 304 quantum board in the 3000K range.
    Taking control of your lights and staying away from the blurple retail high end lights will do your plants and your budget a lot of good

• Like Like x 4
  7. I use Amare & SunCloak. Getting great results from both.
    Converted from 8K of HPS to the LEDs I now use.
    Getting more weight using half the watts.

8. if you're gonna go Platinum , Kind or Black Dog save yourself the money and buy a Mars.
    All the other lights mentioned are good options.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Have you seen the side by sides including Mars vs. Plat? Pretty big differences on the one I saw here like a year ago.
    They may all be burple & using similar diodes but the results showed Plat as the winner between them.
    I think We both agree white or enhanced white is the way to go though.
    Better in every aspect.

• Like Like x 1
  10. #10 Dankrupt420, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Yeah it's weird that was the thread that made me me join this forum a year ago, if I remember correctly it was only two plants that where from seed (not clone) Not to mention that mars panel was a really old model.

Common Hybrid you know Platinum is way way overpriced for a Chinese light using epistars with a few low bin Bridgelux's , so they can claim they use Bridgelux.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Here are some hard numbers to compare the other options with

12 Cree CXB3590 3500K 80CRI COBs running at 1400ma in a 4x4 space in a 42"x42" fixture for complete, even coverage.
    Total power at the wall 630w
    lumens 107K
    PAR watts 297
    total ppf 1381
    ppfd for that area 923 avg.
    PAR watts / sq ft 18.5
    Efficiency (photons vs heat) 56%
    umols/W/CRI ~ 4.65

If you're willing to give up some efficiency, you could drive them at 2100ma and get 140K+ lumens at about 800w at the wall for a true 1000w hps replacement

Using the new 3rd generation Luminus cmx-22 chips instead of Cree you should have roughly the same performance at a lower price. You can buy the COBs already mounted on heat sinks and ready to connect to drivers and mount in some inexpensive aluminum angle irons for $44 ea
    So figure the total cost of the light will be in the $800 range and you'll have a very energy efficient light capable of penetrating your canopy to necessary 24"

• Like Like x 2
  12. True!

13. Don't forget Vero 29C
    3000k 80CRI
    (Tj 45) 700ma 45w 57%eff

14. I love my cobs. 16 cxb3590 with 4 drivers 800watts total... I've got 6 old "300watt" blurples that will barely cover the area 1 cob covers..

• Like Like x 1
  15. What do you guys think about mixing a few blurple leds to a cob setup to get some uv in the mix?

16. #17 bosgrower, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    I don't know of any blurples that have true uv. Take a look at
    PowerVEG FS+UV Fluorescent T5 Grow Light
    and see if you can modify your frame to fit a 2' or 4' single bulb fixture into the setup

• Like Like x 3
  17. You could always add a uv bar or some far reds to help out. Not those blurple lights ive had a mars 1600,kindl600 and a platinum 600 all of them are garbage compared to cob fixture. Sold those after first grow trying to recuperate costs to get some cobs. Citi,luminus,cree,and bridgelux are the better companies out for chips.

• Like Like x 1
  18. the aggromax uv bulb give off more uv but they just about equal.

19. Northern grow lights DIY

The BatWing build i did ....
    3 quantum board - HLG 320h c2800
    3000k ( 3500k cree compare )
    304 piece top bin samsung

NO TIM reqiured for heatsinks.

Runs room temp all day long.

image.jpg

Second rig : 3x3 tent
    4 Quantum Board panels
    Hlg 320h c2800
    -------------------------