So is smoking really that bad?

Discussion in 'General' started by highventure, Aug 5, 2011.

1. i hear ya dude... i just read that 90% of quit attempts fail... and the second attempt only improves slightly... im just gonna go on fuck the police mode and hollow out cigs and fill em with weed... thats my best bet because i can still get the feeling of smoking cigs, while getting high, without causing damage... Thanks man... it really helped... i hadn't have gotten on GC to ask this question i would just say fuck it and smoke as much as i wanted... thank you everyone who posted and ironically its 4:20 am... im getting off for the night but again thank you everyone...

EDIT: damnit i didnt type fast enough and it got posted at 4:21... iaintevenmad.

2. ive gone through a pack in like 3 days before but then i just wont buy another pack for a while. i just like the buzzed headrush. but i havent smoked cigs or drank alchohol in almost 2 months

3. To give a little background, I have been smoking for about 15 years regularly, and tried my first cigarette about 20 years ago.

My advice, don't pick up the habit. I have never been what some call a heavy smoker. I smoke basically 1 pack per day. It is a very expensive habit to pick up, and has basically no good points to it. It does in fact cause health complications in quite a few people. Personally, I don't think the tobacco causes the problems, but rather all the chemicals they add to the tobacco. That is a different debate all together though. Quitting isnt easy. The withdrawal effects, while different depending on the individual are quite hard to deal with. Most people that quite smoking try to quit multiple times before they succeed, if at all. The physical withdrawals are bad enough, but the mental withdrawals are what most people just can not get past. Even if they make it past physical withdrawal it tends to become a crutch. I cant tell you how many times I have heard people that tried to quit say they were doing good until this happened, or that happened then they just had to have a cigarette. That scenario is a mental response, not a physical need.

Now with that being said, smoking's effect on you depends on you as well. I know some smokers that cant walk 100 yards without just damn near passing out. I have no problem walking or jogging 5 miles. I play the saxophone regularly, and dont have a problem with that either. I can tell it has an effect on my breathing, but it isnt near as drastic as a lot of people. In my age group, I am more fit than quite a few non smokers that I know. My doctor says it doesnt look like I have been smoking near as long as I have when looking at the xrays, but there is still evidence there that I am a smoker. Things that stick inside your bodies vital organs just arent good. Dont get me wrong, I am an educated person and know the risk involved. Feeling healthy doesnt always mean something isnt going to happen a year down the road.

4. I know a few people who like to have a cigarette or a cigar or whatever when they've been drinking. It's obviously not as bad as smoking 20 a day, and just breathing the air in California is equivalent to smoking two cigarettes a day on it's own, or so I read/heard somewhere.. some people even like herbal cigarettes, no nicotine and smoother smoke. Smoking anything is a little bit bad for you, but it's an alternative

5. #25 Jazzyj, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Yes. Quit now, and never smoke again. I've been smoking for 7 years now, a pack a day. Starting to smoke is hands down my biggest regret. I've tried quitting 5 times, Longest I lasted was 2 months.

I've wrecked my body pretty bad. My mouth gets sores occasionally, the glands around my face/neck are usually swollen, my heart races, and I've destroyed my lungs. It really hit me this past winter when I had to run through an airport to catch a connecting flight. It took me well over half an hour to get my breathing back to normal after I sat down. That should NOT happen.

Trust me, I understand the appeal. I honestly love smoking. But I despise what cigarettes do to me. Being addicted fucking sucks. You have the chance to avoid that.

If you want the occasional nicotine rush without getting addicted to cigarettes, invest in a hookah. You can get all sorts of tasty tobacco, and it's water filtered. Although, if you smoke it to much, you could still get a little addicted to nicotine.

Edit: just calculated the money I've spent on cigs. A pack a day at $5 a pack for 7 years= $12,775. I'm 23 and broke. That's money I really wish i still had.

6. Take it from people who smoke or have smoked cigarettes.

Don't fuckin' start.

If you want to keep good health, heed my words.

7. yup smoking is bad as just eating burnt fat of the steak lmao

8. The problem with tobacco is just how insipid an addiction it is.

You never notice that you are addicted until people start commenting on how frequently you light up, or wake up coughing all the green shit from your lungs, or your teeth slowly gaining a different yellow tinge, or wrinkles appearing on your face a decade before they are supposed to, or, ultimately, you try to stop...

Yeah, it was a stupid temptation to give into, but i've never been particularly good at avoiding things like that...

Oh, and all those former smokers who tell you how dumb you are, and to quit as soon as is physically possile, listen to them. They haven't been paid by the government and industry to say that, have they?

9. The only time ill smoke a stoag is when im smokin bud but i smoke bud evry day but i limit to 2 a day

10. Forgot about the advice mine is dont get involved with the stoags stick to weed

11. Quit while you're ahead.

I started smoking at 14. Just here and there, some days a good few. I had no problems at all until this past year. I starting smoking daily and most importantly at anticipated events and times. You get into an automatic habit of "smoke when I do (x)."

I wish I could stop, I spend way too much and am killing myself.

12. No, smoking kills, is addictive, and just makes you look like a retard. Don't start man, it's expensive and hard as shit to quit.

13. Feels good man. Smoking aint all that bad

14. honestly dont smoke cigs are a waste of money im speakin from experience if i smoked like half a pack to a pack a day and only bought 2-3 packs a week and then im like fuck i coulda bought a shit load of weed with that -.-