So in my criminology class..

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by altairDOTA, Sep 26, 2012.

1. The guest speaker (who is also captain of the something, idk dude got merits and shit) showed us how they can find the exact location of where a photo was taken if there was gps enabled on the iphone/camera/whatever else was used to take the picture.

This speaker took a picture of his pen in class with his iphone and sent it to his email, and with this program he had on his computer, opened the picture and it showed everything about the picture..the longitude/latitude/elevation..

Then he pressed this button that took him to google earth and took us straight to the classroom...fuckin' crazy.

Made me think of all the pics that are uploaded to the site..:eek:

2. Thats with GPS enabled... why would you need gps enabled on your photos?

3. what if you simply make sure gps is turned off before you take pictures from your phone? can it still be tracked then? there's a way to clear photos of any data attached to them to prevent this from happening but i'm not sure exactly how.

4. You just need an EXIF data removal tool (google it, there is loads around).

All information from camera settings (ISO, shutter speed, etc.), to longitude and latitude from GPS is stored. Easy as pie to get rid of.

5. It's shit like this that makes me pretty terrified of technology

6. Realistically most photos can be traced via the EXIF data, as far as I know. Which scares the piss out of me, that's why I never take photos of sketchy shit.

Fuck getting caught for stupid shit like that.

7. Thought everyone knew this. Thats why in the growing section it says not to upload pics from your phone

8. Technology is fucking scary! I know it sounds cliche hippy/stoner like but it's fuckin true.
    Google now can track what your searching most or even once in a while and change all the google adds for your ip to fit the category of what you are searching
    The picture tracking is fuckin freaky! I have mine turned on on my iPhone, and will be turning that off now.
    Fuck!

9. Does this come as a surprise to anyone?

10. what about non smart phones?

11. only if there is no gps thing on it or disabled.

What kinda struck me as really surprising is when the dude said that most new cameras have gps on them..wtf

12. Cameras with GPS are popular in the professional/hobby photography world, as you can show people the exact pinpoint location of where you took a photo. People looking for travel destination inspiration can also use this to find photos from a certain country/city.

13. oh I did not think of that at all, thanks for clearing that up! :D

14. If you think that's scary, you guys need to check this shit out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PIPHNlAxY4]Op-Doc: The Program (Stellar Wind) - YouTube[/ame]

15. Take this shit to Pandora's Box so I don't feel the need to kill myself for living life.