So I'm trying to change my lifestyle

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Run 21, Oct 5, 2011.

1. I'm 21 years old, 5'9 and I weigh 185. I'm don't consider myself overweight, but I don't want really have a belly anymore, and I'm trying to get in shape because I really enjoy playing sports and I get very competitive. I'm trying to start going to the gym, and start jogging, biking, and basketball for cardio. I'm the type of person that wakes up tired as fuck, and since I'm always doing some shit for either school, work or the school newspaper, a random nap or two will sneak in some time in my day.

I read that it would be very hard for me to get in shape if I don't get enough sleep. What can I do to change my lifestlye for the better? And do you have any work out tips for a beginner?

2. Well I have a routine that I found online and I have seen nothing but results. I can give it to you but I don't want to make a big ass post if you aren't going to use it (or want to know about it) lol.

It's best to workout in the am because it is less stressful and you can start your day off with those endorphins pumping. I find it hard to workout in the morning but you just have to force yourself. Try to take just one 20 minute nap in the day. I find that working out in the AM makes me really tired by the time 9-10 comes around. Another thing, don't fight the tiredness! I *try* to go to bed at 10-11 and wake up at 6-7. When you feel tired, just go to bed. Your body starts to produce melatonin around 9-11pm so when you fight it, it kind of messes with your body.

Cardio, cardio, cadio! Lifting weights will definitely help but but by doing cardio you will burn overall body fat and the muscle will really start to show. You also can't get a 6 pack if you don't do cardio. You need to cut overall body fat (you can't do "spot removal", it has to be overall body fat). I have been doing cardio for a while and I notice a big difference. My shoulders are pure muscle. When I grab my shoulder I can barely get any skin because it's just muscle.

Do weights but also do natural things like push ups, legs lifts, etc.

Slowly cut out all junk food and sugar (processed foods). When your thirsty just drink some water. That alone will make you loose some weight. Try to eat 4-6 small meals a day. If you're hungry grab an apple/banana and some yogurt and some milk. Make some peanut butter and crackers (protein).

Working out is HALF the battle. The other half is eating right!! I see some people who are at my gym ALL the time working out and I would expect them to be pretty fit but then they tell me they are going to McD's or some fast food place after. What a way to destroy a work out :rolleyes:

These are just a few things that came to mind off the top of my head. Hope this helps!

3. Blunt man said everything that needed to be said.

4. Thank you :) I tried to cover a good amount of information, although that isn't nearly everything lol.

5. start biking faded. feelsgoodman.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. im currently in the process of this. Cut out all sugars and fast foods. now i only eat things i cook that contain a good amount of protine and fruits and shit. I've been pumping the weights hard and even doing weighted leg lifts to try and boost my 6 pack out.

Im just a bit afraid of running because im naturally VERY skinny, people have even seriously told me it looks like i shouldn't be able to walk with my legs. I just started putting on mass and id hate to lose it

7. If your gym has a pool you can always do laps. Very good for cardio and the stress is virtually non existent on the joints :D

8. Blunt man, thank you sir. Very helpful.

9. No problem :D