So if marijuana is such a lucrative cash crop...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by fckthisshit, Apr 1, 2011.

1. I understand what you're saying in regards to economics, and you're right. Most states don't have the ability do do it for financial reasons, but Cali could. Would it be easy? No. Would it be worthwhile? I think so.

2. Isn't California drowned in debt?

3. California's economy is one of the worst in the nation dude. They are around $20 billion deep in deficit.

[​IMG]

4. Because people don't want to go to prison. And to grow exceptional bud you need to invest time and money into it. Most people have jobs and just don't have to time to look after plants. Even where it's medically legal you can't have a huge grow. Just a couple plants for personal use, so unless they work with clubs/dispensaries no, there isn't a lot of money to be made from it.

5. Yes, we are. But still the 5th largest economy in the WORLD. The debt has been created from unwise spending and a sense of entitlement on the part of many people living here. We need to cut spending, but that's ANY gov't agency. Trust me the Feds would not want to lose the revenue that the state brings in, regardless of how far "in debt" we are. Debt is the modern sign of affluence.

6. My point was that, with California being so steeped in debt, it's impractical for them to turn down any Federal Funding they're getting, which is most likely keeping the lights on in many hospitals and schools. And when it comes down to it, I'm fairly sure most people would rather have those two over marijuana legalization.

Of course, in the future, once the state is solvent, who knows what will happen.

7. Marijuana and growing is nowhere near legal in California. Even with a cannabis card, you are only allowed to have 6 mature plants. And if you decided to get a grower's license to allow up to 99 plants, you would still have to go through the process of getting one and you would have to know people who buy huge amounts. It's really not as easy as it sounds; a lot of areas in CA are tolerant to weed, but that doesn't mean the police won't bust you for having 10 plants (even with a card, it's still a felony and possible prison time).

8. That's the problem. Nobody is willing to take the hit. Cali will never become solvent, unless the Feds want it to and try to take it as Fed land. I stand opposed.

9. The size of your economy is irrelevant as long as your State Government keeps spending more than it can afford. They have dug such a deep whole, mostly with social programs, that there is no real end in sight.

10. I'm ready, but I kind of expect the nation to do the same before long. If you can't keep yourself healthy, then you die. It's the way things go. Is it fun? No. Is it real? Yes. We have a Nanny Government that wants to "keep us safe". Why? So they can collect our taxes. Period. They aren't interested in our well-being.

11. You're completely right that they have dug their own hole, but do you keep on digging when you realize your mistake or do you stop digging and try to climb out?

12. You cut all non essential spending, including social programs. You lobby and/or use the courts to get the laws changed so cannabis can be safely and legally grown and taxed. Going cowboy and 'legalizing' it while it's still illegal at the Federal level would just be suicide.

13. I hear you OSG, but I don't think it can happen until you find a way to give the Fed a HUGE slice of the pie. Why are they babysitting us anyway?

14. It's got nothing to do with babysitting.

1. Big Pharma doesn't want cannabis legalized.
    2. Neither does the paper and textile industry
    3. The DEA gets half its money for cannabis prohibition, and they are a well entrenched bureaucracy
    4. The majority of people in Cali already voted against legalization. Mindset needs to be changed amongst the populace of our nation.
    5. The Feds *would* get a big slice of the pie in the form of taxes.

I understand what you're saying, but you're really not looking at it realistically. Get it changed by changing the nation's mindset about it and lobbying at the Federal level. Then the rest will fall into place naturally.

EDIT: And frankly, so called 'stoner culture' and the people who are in your face about it aren't helping. That's not directed at you. It's directed at the people who act out and pretend that by being 'different' than everyone else or doing shocking demonstrations/actions will somehow help. So called 'stoner culture' is a big reason it's still illegal.

15. It's going to be an extremely long time before we see legalization at a federal level
    You guys are missing the point. It is not as simple as people joining together to let the government know we want this. Or even the extra tax dollar rewards the state could benefit from
    Simply because the federal government does not want it legalized, period.
    Sure, states have their state laws. But any state that makes a state law in violation of a federal law is going to be getting the cold shoulder in terms of money
    And no politician is going to give up the job he worked his entire life for, just so weed can be legal, and then to have the federal government step in and pull the plug
    I want legalization just as bad if not more than the next guy, but we have to see things logically to know the true battle were facing

16. #56 WeedBratton, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2011
    The Federal Government doesn't hate marijuana, it just loves all the money it gets as a result of marijuana prohibition.

Edit: To whomever +rep'd me, thanks, you got me my fourth bar :smoke:

17. Once again OSG, you speak wisdom. I think I'm a little gung-ho because while I try to be patient, I see the world going to hell in a handbasket. Not that pot is the solution to the problem, but with ALL the uses, we could be in such a better situation. Thank you for some enlightenment/reigning-in on the issue. I'm just frustrated with the whole damn system!

18. The world has been going to hell in a handbasket since the dawn of civilization. Every generation thinks it with very few exceptions. This too shall pass.

We are but a blink of God's eye.

19. Cuz it's still illegal in the eyes of the FBI

20. The FBI has zero to do with it. You mean the DEA.