So I went to see a psychiatrist....

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by BuryMeInTrichs, May 12, 2009.

1. Went to the Psychiatrist because I'm having a ton of trouble studying/concentrating... Aboe average to say the least. Absentmindedness, memory loss, not completing things.

I've always had this trouble but I have always skated through school without having the need to study...... albeit making mediocre grades but still very much passing.

In recent years my grades have been dropping and i figured it was because of the level of work increasing and my level of not studying, or inability to study was remaining constant.

On to the good stuff... He asked me if I smoked "dope" and I told him that I have and that I smoke 2-3 times a day for the last 6 months. As soon as I told him I smoked its like his entire demeanor changed... he asked me

"been snorting a little coke? Smoking meth?"

I literally started laughing and told him "No, i keep it herbal"

Basically he believe that all of my problems are stemming from the marijuana and that im depressed. And he prescribed me Prozac, an anti-depressant. I know that the weed has nothing to do with my inability to concentrate. It might be slightly increasing my forgetfulness but remember that i've always had these problems and even when I don't smoke they still occur.

wtf.

:(

2. Wow what a douche fuck. Is Prozac any good for rec use? I guess you could sell it?

3. I dont know but I'm going to do some research on it. All i know about prozac is that I hear about it on the news a lot...

:confused_2:

4. well hang in there man. do you feel down at all? make sure you keep him updated on how the meds are making you feel. sometimes antidepressants can take weeks before it has any noticeable effects. or sometimes days, which is not always a good thing.

5. I vote not taking them at all green, unless its for rec use.

6. I mean I guess I feel down sometimes but I normally just find something to do or smoke some.

I used adderall before but it was without a scrip........ it made my life a shit ton better because i was active as hell and was getting all my shit taken care of. but its not like i can tell the dude "hey doc i used to pop 40 MG XR's everyday can you hook me up?" haha I wish I could though

7. Do you think you're depressed? If you aint depressed, you don't wanna fuck with prozac. You don't really wanna fuck with it anyway unless you're clinically depressed. Your doctor sounds like an idiot, but hey, he's the one with the qualification.

8. Im gonna try it atleast but if i get any of the side effects like "Prolonged Painful Erection" (Direct qoute!) Then im definitly going to stop.....

9. To be honest I dont think im depressed at all. Because I always assumed depression to be thought of suicide/hating youself/hating everybody. Of course that not the case for most minor cases of depression but yeah.

Argh I wonder what would have happened if I didnt mention the weed.....

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot to mention he told me he wants me to quit smoking pot. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

10. I think L Rag is right man. If you honestly feel like you need to take them, then do it. Otherwise pull out your jar of weed and get tokin

11. Um, I doubt Prozac will be any help for the problems you described and it could even make them worse. For many people, it has a dulling effect on the brain, something a depressed person or someone with trouble focusing doesn't need.

If you do decide that you're suffering from serotonin-deficiency depression (the only type Prozac helps), just know that it's next to impossible to ever quit taking SSRIs due to the nightmare called 'discontinuation syndrome'. It makes you feel like you're losing your mind, causes violent outbursts, rapidly fluctuating emotions, flu-like symptoms, and even suicidal tendencies. There have been successful lawsuits filed by people who went on killing sprees after starting or quitting SSRIs, and one of the Columbine killers was withdrawing from Luvox when the shooting occurred. This is a well-known effect of these drugs for some people, a cruel irony for those who are already depressed.

Give it about a month, tell him the Prozac is not working, and ask for "something that will help me focus", but don't drop any specific names like Ritalin, etc. Sometimes you just have to work your way up the ladder to better drugs, which can take a while.

Your other option is to find another doctor, one who WILL take your concerns more seriously. They work for YOU, not the other way around, so by all means move on if your quality of life is suffering.

If your research leads you to believe that Prozac will help you, and that you do indeed have "depression", try it. For a small group of people, SSRIs are life-changing...but it's a small percentage. Just make sure to know the risks, as it's a long-term commitment in most cases.