so i need a car in less than two weeks

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by greenghoul, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Hey everyone,

So my college sorta cancelled my housing last minute and I need to commute (which is kind of bullshit because I have a scholarship to live on campus which is the only reason I lived there in the first place), and now I'm in need of a car.

I went to the used dealership and looked at a few, there was a nissan maxima that was pretty nice feeling, but the battery was dead because the guy at the dealership who worked on it left the lights on >.>

Anyway, I don't know what I should keep an eye out for. My dad knows a bit about cars and has been helping me, but he really wants me to go American versus German or Japanese, even though the companies won't be making money since it's used. He also said that I should just lease a car for the next two years. I don't see why I should since I'll be spending six or so thousand dollars over two years on a car I won't keep, instead of spending 5 or 6 on a car I'll keep after a few years.

So yeah, what kind of cars would be good for general commuting (my school is about 15 miles away), going to work (as soon as I get a job), being comfortable to drive, and being reliable overall (I need something that can handle snow in the winter, and also have good gas mileage). My budget is about 5,000 dollars, give or take.

Sorry for the vagueness, it's late and I'm pretty tired

Thanks!

2. Subaru symmetrical AWD. Or, if you wanted to be original you could find a rebuilt AMC eagle with the 2.5 liter 4 banger for around 5-6 grand.

3. Generally your going to want to go with American or Japanese. German cars tend to be expensive when it comes to parts. Japanese cars tend to have better gas mileage and reliability compared to American. American also have cars with good gas mileage and reliability as well, some also have cheaper parts.

4. honda civic..acura..

5. Time to put those grand theft auto skills to work. Go to the outside of your city, find the foreign cars dealership, shoot the window, and take a nice brand new Ferrari or Lamborghini or whatever you'd like. Be sure to drive it through a pane of glass that you didn't already break or else it won't even be cool. Good luck. :smoke:

Edit: Spend some of that 5000 bucks on a new paint job for the car. Then your wanted level will go back down to 0 stars and the cops can't find you. That should leave you like at least 4 grand for whatever you want.

6. You can get a damn decent car for 5 grand... go on craigslist, hit cars+trucks, click seller, and type in your max amount, then either hit highest price option (with images) or type in the names of cars you would want to own and see what your options are.

7. I could show you a huge amount of awesome deals on cars in my area for 5 grand, theres alot of choices. just check out kijiji and craigslist and juast be careful not to get scammed

8. Yeah, you have way too many options in that price range.

Definitely consider an AWD Subaru. That's basically what you described (good on gas, good ride, handles snow fine, reliable).

If you're willing to give up good gas mileage, definitely check out some Jeep Grand Cherokees. Pretty reliable, very comfortable, and they will fly through snow like it's pavement :)

9. I've been looking at subarus, like the outback and impreza. They look like really cool cars. Craigslist has been pretty meh as far as results go, everything seems so shady.