Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

So I finally made butter But it has a really strange consistency? Help

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by UpstateToking, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Hello everyone, I'm here today regarding a question I have about my cannabutter! So I used about two sticks of butter, and a half ounce of trim, and after about a day of refrigeration this stuff looks and smells amazing! There is one odd thing about it though... on the exterior of the cannabutter there seems to be a layer of this weird crumbly sediment feeling type of stuff. It turns out that upon breaking the cannabutter apart, it has a crumbly consistency entirely throughout it. This is my first time making cannabutter so I'd appreciate help from anyone that's done this before. My question is, is this an unusual or strange thing to come across? And could it possibly mean it could harm me upon consumption? 

Thanks, I could really use some clearance on this one.

2. #2 PatrickXy6dC, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    [SUB]I find when I use water in my butter the butter is crumbly.  I believe it's from the milk solids in the butter.  You  might try making ghee, or clarifying the butter next [/SUB]
    [SUB]time which takes out the milk solids.  did this last time- clarified the butter, but didn't use any water.  Just use the crumbly butter (scrape off the junky stuff on the bottom.  It's just sludge.  [/SUB]
    [SUB]Good luck,[/SUB][SUB] let us know how it turns out.[/SUB]

[SUB] Also clarifying butter is easy.  I just let mine melt in the crockpot and all the milk solids float on  [/SUB]
    [SUB] top and you just spoon them out.[/SUB]
    [SUB]                                                     --`    [/SUB]
    [SUB]              [/SUB]

3. #3 5cooby Doo, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015

In the world of cooking, that indicated too much heat and not enough stirring. :)

As for your butter, use pure clarified unsalted butter. It will help.

4. to much heat possibly. not enough stirring is due to excessive heat. How and what did you strain it with? how long was your cook time? what were your temps?
    I do my butter in a crock pot for 24+ hrs without opening the lid.
    This is what i end with. It has nothing to do with not using clarified butter or glee. a purer solvent just makes for more efficient (quicker) extraction. 
    View attachment 1608379
    View attachment 1608379
    View attachment 1608483
    View attachment 1608484