So I Changed My Mind And Am Now Against Waterboarding

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PotSmoker234, Feb 13, 2011.

1. I don't know I just starting thinking about it and it's wrong and inhumane. We should be better than that.:(

2. I'm for it. Me and my girlfriend waterboard each other all the time. Good stuff really.

3. I know you're joking but I don't think this issue should be taken lightly. Real people are tortured this way. It's barbaric and we can't criticize a group of people for being inhumane if we are too.

4. I think stress positions are worse. "emotional" torture I'm ok with. Permanently disfiguring the bodies of your enemies, while potentially a greater tool of war, should probably be against the rules all the time.

Also, we can totally criticize the humanity of anyone we want. We are Americans dude. Hypocrisy is at the base of everything we do, and unlike alot of cultures, we don't have to bother and hide it.

5. Not to mention the fact that it's a highly unreliable means of interrogation.

6. I'm actually against any form of physical contact when it comes to interrogating suspected terrorists, or anyone really. What if that is me being accused of something, or what if they extend those practices outside of the sscope of war and and start torturing everyday american citizens.

7. Is this still allowed or did you guys stop doing it?
    And on what scale did this happen? Was it only used when it was believed to possibly prevent major attacks or more frequently than that?

8. Considering our constitution explicitly bans torture, it is and has always been illegal and wrong. I'm unsure if Bush ever read it.

9. Bush isn't the President.

Obama supports torture by proxy.

10. Does Obama still allow the use of these techniques?

11. He supports extraordinary rendition, ie imprisoning them in countries that do torture.

12. Because if it doesn't happen in America, it didn't happen.

13. Wasn't Egypt one of these countries?

14. Yup, and the guy overseeing the transition, Suleiman, was in charge of the tortures.

15. heh, no wonder the US had such a hard time voicing support for the protests.

16. I know.
    I was doubting whether this was true or not because I've only heard it mentioned very briefly on Al Jazeera. Kind of strange because that's a pretty important issue.

17. hell yeah , lets go back to racking people [​IMG]

18. After 9/11, bin laden and others said that more attacks were forthcoming. We waterboarded some detainees at GITMO, and there's been no successful attacks on American soil, so maybe it helped somewhat.

19. I fail to see your logic, although I had the same logic not too long ago. I mean, we have no way of knowing if the lack of attacks on American soil was because the cia waterboarded people. But by all means...prove it.