So easy a 5 year old can do it...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Buddy Dink, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Not saying that ATC is really all that easy, I had a friend who was going to become an air traffic controller, but I think this is pretty funny.

Had something gone horribly, horribly wrong I could understand the upset, but it seems even the pilots were having a good time.

Controller Lets Kid Take Over at JFK | NBC New York

Adios, amigo!

2. I saw this one earlier and couldn't believe it either, the fact that a lot of the pilots thought it was cool blew my mind too:confused_2:

3. They are really low on ATCs, so desperate times call for desperate measures?

I've thought about trying to become an ATC (they're well-paid), but I've heard that you're over-worked due to short-staffing.

4. I'm not sure that it is possible for them to be overworked. I was under the impression that it was union work and you are only allotted a certain amount of hours a week/month.

Maybe I'm wrong...

5. #5 Arteezy, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010
    Well, I know that planes run nearly 24/7 into and out of large airports, so I'm sure that some of the time they can have you working weird hours or during the holidays. I also don't know what an airport would do if they were short-staffed of ATCs. Would they make everyone work a little more or would some volunteers just take on the extra work in exchange for more pay?

I read somewhere a couple of years ago that most of the ATCs were going to retire in the next ~10 years and that unless they start training a lot of people right now, we could see shortages in the near future.

6. Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (1968) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure what they do when they are short staffed, but I'm pretty sure they've been short staffed since the 80's.

I know a lot of unions are very strict about their hours and schedules, though.