So Cal Growers Unite

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by AloeRuss, Dec 7, 2013.

1. So you veg indoors and put them out to flower. How big do you let them get before you move them? Is there an optimal month? Thank you in advance. I want to try this. Electric bill is ridiculous. Lol

Welcome in mrsilly...

My grow style just kind of grew out on it's own with no real planning but it's become a fair way to get the job done..
    I veg in a pair of CFL powered cardboard boxes 18x18x36 inches @ 24-0 lighting.. 200 watts of 6500k and 110-CFM axial fan in each
    http://static.grscty.com/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-645641-0-17319400-1386642416.jpg box1
    http://static.grscty.com/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-645641-0-47869200-1386642449.jpg box2
    20-24 inches is the max the boxes will handle.. When the plants hit that out they go..
    The transition from 24-0 to what ever the lighting is outside seems to flower them even when lighting outside is over 14 hours..

I've run this trick for almost a year now on 5 different runs of plants with excellent results..
    The total load for my operation is 500 watts.. And that includes the 100 watts running over the cloner.. With So Cal Edison charging at or near the top rate in the country for juice running an indoor operation will impact your power bill no doubt..

The best cycle was the summer set as I timed 2 sets to run over the summer and got full 6 ft plus plants..
    Fall and the current winter sets are smaller in general but have tighter buds it seems from the cooler temps
    http://static.grscty.com/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-645641-0-86848600-1386643829.jpg
    The current group set out on the 23rd of Oct.. That left plant being the height exception as it's over 40 inches last I looked.. put out at 22 inches..

http://forum.grasscity.com/unknown/1245053-american-dream-white-picket-fences-marijuana-so-cal-sun.html/page-17
    Feel free to look around my own thread and ask any question you might have..
    It's about as cheap, low down, shoestring as it gets but I do crank out some useable bud

While I'm just a couple of miles inland from the ocean with it's moderating influence on both high and low temps Ontario does dip down into the frost range at times and you'll need to take precautions against that.. plant against a building.. under a patio cover.. covered on frosty nights..
    Or a few good old fashioned smudge pots..

Happy Growing    BNW

Attached Files:

Those are some excellent photos of smudge pots.  I live next to orange groves...

4. #84 Dr M, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    I'm trying to figure out  when to put my plnts outside to take advantage of the sun to do the veg..this past summer I put my clones out drs into mini grnhse at about 4'' in cups..then transferred to SIP's in july..they never got taller than 12''...cause evidently that's too late in the yr to get veg effect..this yr I'm going with seed instead of clones and SIP's using soil,coco,perilite,vermiculite and advanced nutes..I want to put them out around mar-april to get the full veg effect so I get monsters..does the timing sound right? I always thought that the plnts would veg outdrs naturally if the days were long and as the days got shorter at the end of summer that would trigger flwring..am I missing something? 20 plus yrs of indoor hydro has spoiled me and I don't understand ''seasons outdr''..
    lost gurl squad-BT-day 19 veg-day 47 flwr 013.JPG lost gurl squad-BT-day 19 veg-day 47 flwr 014.JPG lost gurl squad-BT-day 19 veg-day 47 flwr 022.JPG

5. #85 SitnSpin, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    Dr. I think we have about 10 hours of low angal light in socal during the winter.  I put my plants out after dark and give them 8 hours of light and before the sun goes beyond the horizon I bring them in under the light, to get a full 18 hours. 

I can bloom flowers in my backyard year round because of the morning and evening shade.

6. I do my outdr at grow ptnrs house and she tends them over the summer..we're both in our 60's so we don't do much physical stuff..i do all the ''development'' cause I got the skills but not the site..she does caretaking cause her site has good security where as my outdr security is zero..it's a frustrating situation cause she's a lazy gardner and I only get to see the plnts once a month or so..that's why I built the SIP's that work well for this situation..she is learning you gotta do more than talk to the plnts and give them Miracle Grow..lol!

7. Doc..

That whole try to veg them up and put them out early is how I stumbled my way into growing like this in the first place..
    June 1st for putting clones outside assuming you time matched them from a very young age..
    Seedlings can go out about a month sooner as it takes them that long to become sexually mature enough to flower and by June 1st the time is right to veg.. Make some sense ??
    Clones are sexually mature at any size and like nothing better then to flower.. Coming from a 24-0 environment like mine they flower under any less.. Some strains are less sensitive to the light shock of to fast a lighting schedule change and keep on in veg stage.. But most of the strains I used reacted to my attempts at time matching to even 18-6 by flowering..
    So I gave in and used it to my advantage vegging plants as large as my box could turn out @ 24-0 and planting outside the day it grows into the lights.. I take the lowest branch as clone material that same day now..

Hope that sorta explains why it didn't work like you hoped.. Your clones thought it was fall and flowered @ 12 inches tall..

8. Woody that's exactly what happened..i'm totally paranoid about having soil indoors that I haven't sterilized..i went thru defcon-1 with a bag of soil that had bugs in it..i had to throw furniture out and have the carpet cleaned and the bldg. tented and gassed..I've had no trouble since but I'm very leery of soil grow in my space ..blg was going to be tented for termites anyway so it all worked out but it was a hard lesson..so you're saying I can ''fool'' the plnts by just adding illumination to extend the lighting hrs till I want them to flower? I gotta think about how to do that at my grow ptnr's hse...thanx for explanation

9. That's how the North Calif crew gets them 10x10 foot plants.. they start them in march or april and veg indoors for 2 months working out the time so the plants are time matched to outside.. Or they'll hang lamps over the plants outside for a month if they put them out real early and run the lamps for 6 hours a day gradually dropping the lights burn time..

And even they don't always hit the mark.. They have trouble with early flowering and the plants re-vegging It's still a crap shoot working outside with mother nature..

With half my grow outside and my veg stage kids spending days outside my grow is ( Dirty ) by it's very nature.. All I can do is try and stay on top of things.. So far I've been lucky with my only real enemy being the endless moths and the nice gifts of caterpillars they leave behind.. Weekly spraying with BT Bacillus thuringiensis keeps that under control.. But that pressure is letting up as my bug zapper is clear most mornings now..

The one place I can and do control is the cloner.. Fresh cuttings entering it are treated as infected goods and under go a regimen of full immersions.. 3 days apart for mite and a further dunk for Mildew-molds..

In Other News---------------

Went with a friend to get his weed card renewed and learned an interesting lesson.. All the adds you see for 30 dollar cards.. It's for a 3 month card ... WTH is that shit.. Like I'm going to stop after 3 months ??? So it really cost him 60 bucks after haggling over the price..
    That's not the best.. He's showed into an empty room with a laptop for his consultation.. All done on SKYPE ?? How cool is that..

Then while out doing weed related things we drove out to San Pedro and visited the very friendly weed shop there and while my friend was checking out some smokables and eatables I picked up a few rather lanky clones and a mother.. Not a bad days haul all in all.. As my goal was just to add strains.. I'll chop up the to lanky clones as I'm in no hurry and they won't fit with any of the current plants like they are.. I grabbed the mother as it was the only way to get that strain.. I'll likely take cuttings from it and flower the main plant GSC..

10. 3 mo card! When I first got my card it cost $30 with discount coupon..the next yr they wanted $75 I went elsewhere and paid $30 for one yr card..all 3 places are no longer in biz WTF! after the pot shops crashed I didn't renew cause there was nowhere to use it.. I've gone back underground where I had been for over 20yrs

11. Some of you have some really nice setups.  Mine is not quite complete.  It still needs to have the door hung and to be wired up, but here is where I will be doing my growing.  

Cabinet
    View attachment 130360
    The cabinet is 20" wide by 24" deep and 50" high.  Fairly small, but I think big enough for 1 girl at a time.  The lamp is a digital 250 Watt MH/HPS combination. As you can see, it is a very tight fit.  I am thinking I may have to trim it a bit.  I'll have to see once it is running.  Hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday.

Cabinet Top Half
    View attachment 130361
    Just a little better picture of the top half.  The round thing is the exhaust port with a carbon scrubber.  I'm running a 120 CFM 4" fan.  I didn't put a cooled light in because there was just no way I was going to fit one.  I'm hoping with the amount of air movement I should have, heat won't be too much of an issue.

View attachment 130362
    Just a better picture of the bottom half.  You can see my air intakes down below.  Just some pvc S shaped curves to keep the light where I want it.

And just one quick picture of my first little girl.  I think she is excited to move into her new home.
    View attachment 130364

12. Thank you for the welcome. Very cool and economic set up. You are capturing my interest.

13. #93 mrsilly, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013
    My current indoor grow. If they get to big. I will put them outside lol! ;-)

14. PeteS my cab is 30'' wide 20'' deep  70'' tall..in 8yrs I've tried many things in it that didn't work and some that have to get this cab to what it is today..I've even used the exact hood you have...HEAT is going to be a major problem..if the hood isn't vented it's going to get 100 in there..quick..LED in that cab would work well it did in mine for one plnt..I found passive intake wasn't getting enough 02 in the cab so I now use a dual fan for intake..using side venting doesn't work as well as a vent on the ceiling...I use a 19''cool tube with pancake tapers so it'll fit..i blow cool air into it with a small 4'' pc fan and suck the hot air out with a squirrel cage fan on the other side..i run 250w and 400w mh/hps with two oscilating fans and 1 fixed position fan ..takes 3 thermometers to keep track of the temps..you can put your hand on the glass of cool tube at  250w and  it's warm not hot..radiant heat is tuff to ddeal with no glass and venting ..if you run with door shut ..well you sorta can't due to heat build up..ambient temps are going to be very important whether or not you can cool the cab..when I had this cab in the bthrm I couldn't cool it..i moved it to kitchen next to window and a/c and now it works great..the latest improvements are about the 8th incarnation of ''This Old Cab''... almost ready 008.JPG cab finished ready for occupancy 002.JPG cab finished ready for occupancy 012.JPG cab finished ready for occupancy 005.JPG cab finished ready for occupancy 008.JPG wk 6 002.JPG

Good Monday Morning So Cal !!!!!

Pete.. Doc gives good advice on keeping things cool.. If there is one thing I replaced more often then my socks it was my exhaust fan..
    Up grade then Up grade again..

16. A bit of local color

Attached Files:

17. Nice cab's people!

Yuppers its legal for "any" dr (in cali) to see you every 3-months via cam or even phone.  You must come to be seen in person, once a year.  I do that with my Pysc dr.  The Recommend letter can be written for any span up to a year.  I have a place in Palm Springs.  It cost $125 the first time, after that its 100.  The place is solid, been there for years, and I have never been denied entrance to a dispensary, like some of my friends have with their card. 

Have a look at my skies lately... 

[​IMG]

18. SnS..
    Ya mine is about a C note out in west holleywoodland.. pain in the ass but like yours it's never been refused.. the website/phone verify is always good unlike some of my friends discount priced ones..

Just enough evening clouds in the west at dusk to be making for some really spectacular sunsets.. Tonight's was another cover of Sunset magazine shot..

19. Got mine in Reeferside! Never a question over the years this year paid $65. I saw tons of $40-$45 Drs at Muscle Beach aka Venice.

20. Good Morning So Cal !!!!!

With my purchase Sunday of 5 long tall sallys and the mother plant it meant I worked my ass off yesterday killing clones of my own to make room.. http://static.grscty.com/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-645641-0-99054000-1387247655.jpg Sniffle.. RIP.. I really hated to do that..

The most recent harvested plants were dry to the point of jarring.. Mid 60s Humidity.. The Boveda 62% packs will finish the cure.. 
    http://static.grscty.com/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-645641-0-92069700-1387247662.jpg

Some new life from the latest 6 seeds I planted
    http://static.grscty.com/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-645641-0-06172900-1387247727.jpg

More good things as 2 clones of a strain I'm working came out of the cloner.. Still haven't sexed the parent..
    http://static.grscty.com/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-645641-0-73217600-1387247734.jpg

Planted the mother plant after taking 8 clones from her.. She's the size I put out to flower anyhow.. No way to keep her with my setup..
    http://static.grscty.com/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-645641-0-48010100-1387247041.jpg

Cut off the tall incoming girls.. New clones from the cutting.. 4 total from the pair of Stinky Monkeys, 4 from the single Chernobyl, and 8 from the GSC mom
    http://static.grscty.com/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-645641-0-13487300-1387247028.jpg

In addition to all this while I'm selecting clones to keep WTH do I find munching away on a 4 inch clone?? Mr. Caterpillar who else..
    Only about 1/2 inch long.. I thought I might get to lower my guard just a bit with the coming cold but I can see that's just not true.. Time to break out the BT.. It's been 2 weeks.. I usually spray every week..  I don't usually find crawlies on this age plant..

Happy Holler Days... BNW