Snails In Hydroponic Reservoir.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by TheCureForLife, Dec 10, 2018.

1. So I know snails like to eat away at algae so would they keep my deep water culture system clean? I’m assuming they wouldn’t eat the roots but I could be wrong. I also feel like the fertilizers could kill them.... but if I were to switch to plain water that wouldn’t be an issue. Anyone tried this?

2. What kind of snails? Ramshorn could work? Bladder snails will most likely feed on any vegetation available. Most snails will prefer meat/protein. The larger ones like nerites cannot right themselves if tipped over. I wouldn't risk the decomp side affects of death. Shouldn't be algae in your res?? Algae requires light??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3. It'll work in an aquaponic setup, but not a dwc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ramshorn is what I was thinking. I don’t currently have any algae but I had some in the past and was just thinking out loud of the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Gonna agree with what this guy said. A proper DWC setup has good light security, which means minimal to no algae growth at all. If you were running aquaponics that'd be another thing all together, but you aren't, so unfortunately snails are a good but more or less unviable idea.