SMOoVE: Purple Cindy: DWC: 400w Growshow

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by smoove, Mar 18, 2008.

1. I concur thats dope how she switches up!!!!

Looks like some juicy tops too!!!!!

2. Betcha it's a gonna be a big harvest for SmoOve even with just 2 Purple Cindys. You may need to get a bigger space to finish your grow as those plants JUST started blasting off. :wave:

3. boochiano: Thanks for the rep. I'm pretty happy with this grow so far and hopefully I can keep it up.

71/99:
    Over the last couple days I think the UV lamp did have some effect on the stretching... but not nearly enough. One of these phenos has a very apparent desire to grow taller. I got the lamp from HERE. And yessssss those are developing trichs. Ole!

Earl:
    Thanks for that info Earl, I've read your more detailed VPD post on another forum... funny though, I couldn't make the connection until you mentioned it here. I haven't noticed any leaf burn yet as most of the water forms on the bottom leaf of two leaves that are overlapping. I've angled both fans on to the canopy top now to see if it'll help. For anyone that hasn't seen what it looks like, I'll take some pics the next time I notice it.

IMgreen:
    It's crazy how hardy this plant is sometimes. I've seen people do some pretty extreme shit and it always seems to handle whatever people can dish out. When I first started training my tops, I accidentally snapped one of my stems just like you did with yours. I'll post the pic up on your thread.

CaliGrower:
    I'm dreaming of a big harvest bro, and I've been trying to send those vibes out into the universe hoping it become a reality... and you might be right, she's stretching like a mofo! I'm trying to find another space I can use in the house if it comes down to it. I'm still hopeful but it's seems like a 50/50 possibility at this point.

doob3r:
    Dude... just like you said, the new growth is super sativa thin now, but it's more with 1 pheno than the other. There are 2 distinctly different plants growin in there now... and it's kinda becoming a problem. One's growin tall and the other is staying short and dense.

gonejah17:
    Were you drunk posting last night too? :p mmmm Juicy tops.

GROW UPDATE:

Ok, I haven't seen the plants today but as I've mentioned already... the stretch is in full force right now and drastic measures may need to be taken. I'll decide tonight what to do because whatever needs to be done has to happen now, so I'm not scrambling later and before any damage can be done.

There are 2 very distinct phenos. 1 is stretchier, branchier, has thinner leaves, a more chocolatey/coco/coffee smell. The other is more dense, has broader leaves and a fruitier skunkier smell. This is a big problem now because the taller plant is like... 8 inches taller and so the more I raise the lights the less the smaller one will get... which in turn will only exagerate the height difference. The taller seems to literally be taking over the cab. One other noticeable difference in the two phenos is the smaller more dense plant is much further along in flower development. The taller one still has tops that are barely even showing pistils.

I'm concerned, but not really worried. I'm confident that I can finagle some sort of successful solution, but decision making time is 9:00pm tonight... so wish me luck!

4. Yup, I sure WAS drunk last night lol

As for the different phenos hmmm, I would try my best to keep training the stretched ones down the best u can, Id hate to top. Good luck man!!!!

5. Iv'e found all the HGS plants have streched alot and were very tall. In soil I would raise the shorter plant up to the light. But you hydro guys are all locked down.

Good luck. Iv'e tied down my Electric haze plant that shot up too much. Has grown more than an inch a day and I pull her tighter every day. Now up to 39" but tied down to 30". Good luck and yes do something.

6. Wow Smoove, simply beautiful! I love how you maximize your space. Your girls are very lush and just wanting to produce!

I wouldn't worry too much about having to move them. It looks like they are starting to bud out, so they should slow down on growth.
    If anything, maybe clean up the bottoms of the plant to give the tops full potential. This does depend on if your light is penetrating to the lower part of the plant.

7. lol @ the bubbles avatar

8. gone: Yea I'd hate it if I had to top them too. Luckily I was able to finagle a few inches back from them... check the details in the update below.

sergio: These are the only seeds I've gotten from them but all of their super strains do seem to have "grow big" in their genetcis. I was able to figure something out though and thanks for the encouragement.

GROW UPDATE:

Ok, so last night after spending some time analyzing the issue, I figured out a way to even out the canopy without much stress to the plant. Because the tops are supported by the scrog wire and the closset walls, the stems are very pliable. All I had to do was grab the stems and branches from underneath the wire and pull the tops down. Some actually bent into an "S" shape without any damage. But even though they pulled down easy I still had to tie them down, or they would eventually creep back up to their original height. This gave back about 7" of wiggle room... so I'm back to 10" of total space to work with for a little more stretching... *wipes forehead* shewww. Safe for now.

Buds are starting to form on the lower nodes and some tops are getting noticeably fatter. I'll take pics later this week.

9. NorCal: Thanks man!! I'm pretty stoked with the way things are going with this grow so far. They really have filled the space nicely. There's a few inches on the right side the cab that could be used to fill out more but the plant on that side is pretty much done throwing out side branches.

As far as light penetration... there is none. Since no direct light gets through the canopy, you'd recommend I trim off all the undergrowth? If the leaves are still perfectly healthy is there no benefit to keeping them? like for transpiration or nutrient storage?

I'll take some pics of the undergrowth. Maybe you guys can give me some advice as to what would be good to keep and what to cut.

doob - keepin it pimped tight.... nome sayin?... nome sayiin?

10. Nice grow smoove! it seems your plants will go all the way! im also growing 8 purple cindy right now in a 2' x 3' x 6' box with a mh/hps. I also have the same thermometer as you... i hope mine end up looking like that :smoking:

11. imo 10" is nothing and you are going to run out of space...soon. better have a back-up plan B. :wave:

12. Don't trim any lower leaves. The plant will need them in due time.

13. i wouldn't trim any growth unless it's dead man if it's blocking light to a bud try tucking it under or something.
    if the branches can handle it just tie them down as much as possible and lower them as they get taller until everything stops stretching, should give a nice even canopy. I use bailing wire and just bend the wire a little if i want to lower a branch a few inches.
    Ive also tied fishing sinkers to the wire to weigh the branches down.

the grow looks great dude!

14. erra erra errawit shits been pimped tight nome sayin, lol

seriously though man, plants are lookin good as hell,

just my 2 cents, but i like to strip lower growth when i can, i would rather them spend all of the energy on the top buds but i guess it boils down to height on wether ill strip them or not, thats just my method anyways, some popcorn buds can be nice for hash and edibles or whatever. but if there is just NO light penetration i would maybe start thinning the under growth out slowly, maybe take the time for some clones?

15. When I "clean-up" the bottoms of my plants, believe me, it's not much.
    Basically, whatever you think will be "swag" bud, the really lower parts of the plant, I would cut off. I beleive it better to cut out what you know will be swag, and let the tops receive that extra energy.
    It also helps out with airflow under the canopy to help with numerous things.

Your plants are SUPER healthy and one of the best looking grows I have seen here.
    Cutting out a little of the undergrowth will not harm anything and not take away from your overall yeild.

Here is a pic of what I do. It's not too much as you can see. But it makes for great airflow under my canopy.

I had to add a pic of some fan leaves, just huge. But your strain has the biggest I have seen! Simply awesome!

[​IMG]

16. Opps, here is the undergrowth pic!

[​IMG]

17. very nice smoove

I am really liking HGS' stuff so far! It's early and all but I have said "wow" a bunch of times over various aspects so far

i LOVE that!

18. st-james: Thanks, you're doing a soil grow right? I'm considering switching over soon. Hope your grow goes as well as you'd like.

Cali: ...how did you know!!? you were right on the money about needing a plan-b cuz DAMN! they freakin shot up like crazy over the last 2 days... again. And about the lower leaves... when you say the plant will need them in due time, are you referring to the final days and during the flush?

AW: if you say don't trim then I'm not going to. Cuz if gets me one step closer to to producing buds that look like yours... I'm all for it. I also took your advice to continue training the tops. Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

doobie: Yes, I took AW's trimming advice over yours... don't be sad. :p jk. I actually took some of your advice too... clones FTW!!

GROW UPDATE:

Seriously... this one stretchy pheno is fuckin crazy!! It shot up almost 8 inches in just 1 and a half days. I was absolutely dumbfounded when I opened the cab doors last night to see the tops just 3" from the light... I mean, that's just ridiculous!! Luckily, the light had only been on for like 10 minutes when I checked the cab... not long enough to do any damage. The other plant barely stretched an inch but the buds are already starting to fill out and get kind of sticky... the older these plants get, the more dramatic their differences are becoming.

My solution to the stretching was simple enough, but turned into a 3 hour pain in the ass. I removed all the wires, raised the hooks that were holding them, retied the wire, then trained all the tops horizontal again. I only trained the stretchy plant though and the set the canopy a few inches lower than the other plant. There is no doubt that it will be the taller plant again soon. In the middle of all this I took the opportunity to dump the res, clean up some brittle leaves, and took some clones. Overall it was a nice little tune-up.

* I forgot the damn camera again so I can't post pics until tonight. I took some of the undergrowth, the new canopy, and some shots that I think really show how different the two phenos are...

SO PICS COMING NEXT POST.

19. hey man id listen to AW over my stoned and rambling ass anyday lol

killer sleeve NorCalHal

20. NCH, I see u have some powdery mildew, Ive been getting this too, the white powder on the leaves. Has this been a problem for u??? Hope u dont mind the off topic question Smoove . . .