Smoking with Tin Foil?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by KushEOD, Dec 12, 2010.

1. I have a homemade bong, and I use tin foil to make a bowl piece basically, but is it bad to use tin foil?

I hear ALOT of people say it's bad for you with no reason.

But this one reason gave an excellent reason how it's bad for you but it won't affect you because the Butane Lighter is not hot enough to release vapor from the tin foil so the chemicals can't get to you.

I don't know who to believe! :(

2. Take a piece of tinfoil, hold an open flame to it from your lighter. Scrape off anything you can from where you held the lighter. That's what's going into you're lungs. If it's in a bong, the particles would go into the water, but I'd still not take chances.

3. #3 KushEOD, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2010
    I thought about that, the stuff being scraped off isn't vapor so it'll just get filtered out by the water, so basically the only way I could be harmed from the tin foil is vapor, and Butane Lighters are not hot enough to do so.

4. Just use something else for the bowl. I always use a socket if I need to make a homemade bong. You can probably find one around the house and if not you can go to homedepot and get one for under $3. Just put a screen in with it.

5. #5 BadKittySmiles, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
    This is, the more obvious reason (to the naked eye), why I don't use foil, or even less questionable metal screens...

Ever notice how, after a while, they just seem to sort of.. disappear?

This doesn't happen at a much faster rate when it's 'used', you're not sparing your lungs much by using it just once, and throwing it out. It's slowly falling apart, dematerializing into absorb-able particulates, every single time you expose it to heat. With cooking, you use it once, and usually what little is released you consume orally, then, you know.. for the most part, it leaves via the other end. Aluminum has a low oral toxicity for that reason.

When smoking it, however, even through a water pipe you're inviting all that extra junk to make a sometimes permanent home, in your lungs. Inhaling smoke is hard on your body and bad enough as it is, without adding vaporized aluminum foil to its downfalls.

It's a matter of which you would prefer.. nothing extra? Or, a bunch of burnt aluminum 'stuff' residing in your lungs, that your body may take years to remove, if it ever does? :) The choice is yours :D

Now, on to some more dangerous, science-ey facts.

Heating aluminum foil releases Aluminum Oxide fumes, which can cause metal fever.

This does not mean you will suddenly enjoy Slipknot, and begin painting your room and wardrobe black.

It is a serious illness which causes flu-like symptoms including chills and fever, and in serious cases of exposure, can result in death. What's worse, is not only the moisture, but the acidity in heated plant matter can enhance the breakdown process, causing it to occur at lower temps, and it gives the more dangerous metal vapor (and even the larger, and less vaporized particulates) a better 'vehicle' for delivery to your lungs.

Please everyone, let's stop the madness. Ditch the tinfoil :)

6. I guess I learn something new everyday. I didn't realize screens slowly did the same thing. I knew the gist of that when it came to tinfoil. I don't use screens that often though. I'd +rep you, but I need to spread more out first.

7. Some are much better than others unfortunately. If you enjoy metal screens, just be certain you buy from a reputable vendor.. there are many screens being sold as 'gold', or other healthier (well, healthy-ish) metals, that are either just coated, cut with, or made of entirely different metals or materials, sometimes even hardier high-temp plastics :eek:

8. As I said before, those "FUMES" you talk about is vapor basically, and Butane Fuel is not hot enough to start making vapor from it.

Also you say that the smoke is bad enough as is.
    Actually it's not, there is a common chemical found in ALL smoke, and it will damage your lungs, but the THC actually has been proven to Kill CANCER brain cells, and prevents lung cancer.

If you see those studies where people say the smoke is bad for you and all that BS, they never scientifically proven that it is, the studies have been done to Cigarette smokers. Studies done to Marijuana smokers alone had not proven any effects from it.

9. if your so bent as to why it doesn't harm you then why did you post a question asking if and why it is..... there are many valid points on here you just dont want to believe. smoking out of anything that gradually deteriorates cannot be good for your overall health

10. dude, smoking is bad for you. Weed isn't... but smoking is.

In an ideal world we wouldn't inhale hot gasses and carcinogens.. but hey, occupational hazard i guess.

11. Show me a link to a site where it PROVES that it's bad for you. People say stuff over the internet and believe it . . .

12. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand that smoke in your lungs, is a bad thing, even when it's from a 'safer' source like cannabis. Even cannabis smoke has acrolein, a very dangerous chemical. Smoke enough herb, and you'll see what I mean. Chest pains.

Doesn't mean you get cancer... but it also doesn't mean you'll be running any marathons at the end of the day, either :)

But that isn't the point. The point, is that whether you think it's reaching a point of 'vaporization' or not, it's absolutely slowly being burned away.

The proof is in the pudding: you use a piece of foil long enough, and it gets black and full of holes. Where do you think those missing pieces go?

A dry pipe is especially dangerous this way, but even a water pipe doesn't remove 100% of all small solids.

They are still small enough particulates, that they stay with the giant air bubbles in your bong, and continues up the tube, down your throat, into your lungs.

Notice how you can smell tinfoil when it's heated? How can your nose pick up on something, if it doesn't exist :)

Let's save some time, and assume you've already suggested that it's not even the foil you're smelling, when you heat the foil.. what is it then, and how can you assume it's safe to breathe? I know that I can taste/smell the foil when it's used for smoking purposes.. that's why I don't use it.

Fact of the matter, is that aluminum foil does release chemicals when heated, and it does release an odor, and applying damp or acidic plant matter to the mix can very rapidly speed this process up, creating fumes at much lower temperatures.

I've heard of kids burning through foil in a single day; regardless whether or not it turns to vapor first, it's absolutely going somewhere.

13. Just building on from what you're saying. The reason why things produce such a bad odor or taste or ect. to us is because we're not supposed to intake it. If something has a bad smell, we're not supposed to inhale or eat it.

Our bodies register the smell of it and if we're not supposed to have it our body will warn us to stay away from it by having unappealing reactions to it. That's why burnt metals, rotten foods, spoiled milk, feces, have such bad smells. We're not supposed to take them. Otherwise people and animals would eat their own feces without thinking about it until they endured the consequences.

Our bodies do the opposite also by making good things usually have an appealing smell like meat and fruit and all that good stuff. The first thing that should be done is judging something by it's smell. It can really tell a lot about something. Our bodies don't register everything, but it's just a basic ability our bodies have. Burnt metals have a horrible smell, don't inhale them.