Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking with Depression

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by mutated seabass, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Over the past 4 years I have been taking medication for depression, and I would still get depressed. When I smoked, I felt better fairly quickly. I have been experimenting with the right proportions, and for me you just kinda know how much to smoke. I may be on even more meds if not for pot.

My 2 cents

2. I have major depressive disorder severe w/ psychosis, obsessive-compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and manic episodes, and what I can say from my experiences is that smoking helps definitely in the short term (being, while you're high) and helps in a moderate scale if it's a continuous thing (smoking, that is).

Personally, I'd be dead without anti-depressants / anti-psychotics / mood-stabilizers (I take lithium, lexapro, welbutrin...that's all at the moment). That being said, my illnesses are severe enough that marijuana simply can't sustain them itself.

However, it DOES compliment the meds and, as far as I can tell, helps me feel better.

Something you do have to be careful about though is that THC does INCREASE the likelihood of anxiety-related problems, including panic attacks. This is documented, and although it obviously doesn't happen to everyone, it does happen. I can verify.

I do know someone who actually did have to stop smoking because of this. He (my brother, actually) is bi-polar and had increasingly severe anxiety problems resulting from smoking, unfortunately. He isn't a habitual user now, and the occasional smoke is ok.

All in all, smoking has helped me at least in the fight against the regime of disorders I face, and not on a miniscule scale either. It really does help me, as well as help my overall mood (majority of the time). :( ,:mad: --------> :smoke: ,:D

It's not a guarenteed cure for your manic-depression, but it certainly sounds like it helps, and I hope you continue to have success with it, as well as all the others out there dealing with the same problems. Best of luck :smoke: