Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking with a concussion?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Blovett4, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Hey I'm a medical patient, and last night walking home i got jumped and got the shit kicked out of me pretty bad. i went to the hospital and got diagnosed with a pretty bad concussion, and kept me till morning. other than scratches, bruises, a black eye, and a chipped tooth im fine, but im supposed to be taking it easy for the next few days.

The thing is im in quite a bit of pain, my head hurts alot, and was seeing if you guys thought it would still be safe to smoke. Im hesitant to take any pain killers, and would much rather just smoke some purps and relax for the next few days till im all better.

opinions? Thanks guys

2. with a serious concussion and the fact that the hospital kept you overnight leads me to say that smoking right now might be the best idea.

i dont see how it could hurt but then again i am not a neurologist or even a doctor. call your collective and ask them, they should be able to help you

3. Well, if the doctors gave you painkillers, you should diffidently go with the herb. Hope you'll recover fast :)

4. when i had a concussion when playing football i smoked without any noticeable side effects?

5. fell off a ladder got pwned spent 4 days in the hospital. came here to ask the same question. haven't smoked in about a month.

6. Unless cannabis causes something like brain swelling (pretty sure it doesn't), I would think you'd be ok. You could look through Granny's list to see if anything might help you out there, but I seriously doubt that it would make it worse.

7. Man, good question.
    And yes, you can smoke cannabis with concussions, I have done it over 100 times (I used to play Rugby)
    Just be careful WHAT you smoke out of, something too hard could give you an excruciating headache.

8. OMG you've had 100 concussions?? Fuck
    But to OP you should make sure your doctor didn't say anything about not sleeping. I got a serious concussion when I was younger and I couldn't sleep for more than an hour at a time or else I would go into a coma, so I was told. This was a VERY bad concussion though, like X-rays to check if I had a cracked skull and shit.

9. I call bullshit on 100 concussions. Did you mean you've smoked a hundred times while having a concussion? That would make more sense seeing as you could smoke plenty of times off one concussion lol. But 100 concussions....I call straight bullshit.

Or you're just pretty dumb for continuing to play rugby after even 10 concussions, let alone to continue after 50 lmfao

10. Yea 100 is a MAAADDDD amount of concussions. I would quit after like 5. Theres no way slamming your brain into your skull over 100 times is healthy LOL.

11. i second this, after 100 he'd be lucky to still have motor functions, let alone being ALIVE

but Cannabis does increase blood pressure, which may increase swelling in some parts, i smoked when i had a migraines from coming off opiates, helped alot, but i would wait a week or so just to be safe.

12. I'd say just try a little op. If you feel fine when you come down I'd say it's fine.

13. You're a medical patient right? WHY DIDN'T YOU ASK YOUR DOCTOR IN THE HOSPITAL? You have nothing to hide, ask a professional not a bunch of folks on an internet board. We're not doctors OP.

14. I actually just got over having a concussion (I CURRENTLY play rugby). I'm the only girl on the boys team and thus the smallest of the forwards so, I was doing lineouts and the guys who were lifting me up, didn't set me down they just dropped me and I hit my head against the ground sooooo bad. It was a few weeks ago and I had to go straight to the Urgent Care because I blacked out or something and I couldn't sleep for more than 2 hours at a time or they were worried I'd slip into a coma. (Sorry about the rugby jargon)
    So, I've been smoking incessantly before practice these past few weeks so I can show up and boss everyone (I'm captain!) and I've gotten so much homework done.
    Anyways..... smoking with a concussion is fun and it makes the headaches stop and it takes away the feeling that you're going to throw up all the time. At least it did for me.

15. You guys gotta learn to check my list!

How hash became a smash in brain trauma research (news - 1998)
    MAPS: How hash became a smash in brain trauma research

Synthetic Marijuana Helps Trauma Patients (news - 1998)
    http://www.thecompassionclub.org/medical/research/03/31/17_0603311415-028

Brain Injury Circumvented by Endocannabinoids (abst - 2001)
    Brain Injury Circumvented by Endocannabinoids -- 2001 (104): tw380 -- Science Signaling

An endogenous cannabinoid (2-AG) is neuroprotective after brain injury.
    (abst - 2001)
    An endogenous cannabinoid (2-AG) is neuroprotectiv... [Nature. 2001] - PubMed result

Cannabinoids on the Brain (full - 2002)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/CannabinoidsOnTheBrain.pdf

Cannabinoids and brain injury: therapeutic implications (full - 2002)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/CannabinoidsAndBrainInjury.pdf

Dexanabinol (HU-211) in the treatment of severe closed head injury: a randomized, placebo-controlled, phase II clinical trial. (abst - 2002)
    Dexanabinol (HU-211) in the treatment of severe cl... [Crit Care Med. 2002] - PubMed result

Marijuana Smoking Doesn't Kill (news - 2003)
    Marijuana Smoking Doesn't Kill
    Cannabinoids As Neuroprotective Agents in Traumatic Brain Injury. (abst - 2004)
    Bentham Science Publishers

The endocannabinoid 2-AG protects the blood-brain barrier after closed head injury and inhibits mRNA expression of proinflammatory cytokines.
    (abst - 2005)
    The endocannabinoid 2-AG protects the blood-brain barrier after closed head injury and inhibits mRNA expression of proinflammatory cytokines.

The Cannabinoid CB2 Receptor as a Target for Inflammation-Dependent Neurodegeneration (full - 2006)
    The Cannabinoid CB2 Receptor as a Target for Inflammation-Dependent Neurodegeneration

The CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor Mediates Excitotoxicity-induced Neural Progenitor Proliferation and Neurogenesis (full - 2007)
    The CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor Mediates Excitotoxicity-induced Neural Progenitor Proliferation and Neurogenesis ? JBC

Hope that helps!

Granny :wave:

16. I signed up at this forum after finding this thread on Google.

I posted this just to help you get through your life.

I too have been jumped and have smoked marijuana for the past 6 years.

First time I got a concussion was because I went to help out a friend who was getting jumped by 10 people and I got hit from behind.

After that, I got jumped 2v1 and I guess because I had sustained a concussion before, I was more likely to receive another.

Now for the next 5-6 years I have been blazing it up. I honestly and TRULY believe that marijuana has helped me through those brain injuries. I am not a 100% pot lover. I actually am trying to quit because it has got to a point where It has given me OCD and paranoia.

Throughout the 5 years, I've had situations where I just got done smoking weed and I passed out for a minute or two. I believe this is because of the concussions.

Lately though, I have gotten way better and that whole passing out while smoking a blunt or two doesn't happen to me anymore. It would happen a lot at the beginning of the 5 years of smoking, but lately it has not happened. Last time it happened was a year ago and before that year.... it had happened about at least 5-10 times.

All I know is for some reason, I feel as if Marijuana has indeed HELPED my brain injuries even though I feel prolonged use of Marijuana will ruin your life.

What I have stated might not be a scientific explanation, but it is coming from my heart.

I hope I have helped you.

17. [quote name='"Whole lotta pot"']
    OMG you've had 100 concussions?? Fuck
    But to OP you should make sure your doctor didn't say anything about not sleeping. I got a serious concussion when I was younger and I couldn't sleep for more than an hour at a time or else I would go into a coma, so I was told. This was a VERY bad concussion though, like X-rays to check if I had a cracked skull and shit.[/quote]

Bro I think the he meant he has smoked 100 times with a concussion.

18. [quote name='"Storm Crow"']You guys gotta learn to check my list!

How hash became a smash in brain trauma research (news - 1998)
    MAPS: How hash became a smash in brain trauma research

Synthetic Marijuana Helps Trauma Patients (news - 1998)
    http://www.thecompassionclub.org/medical/research/03/31/17_0603311415-028

Brain Injury Circumvented by Endocannabinoids (abst - 2001)
    Brain Injury Circumvented by Endocannabinoids -- 2001 (104): tw380 -- Science Signaling

An endogenous cannabinoid (2-AG) is neuroprotective after brain injury.
    (abst - 2001)
    An endogenous cannabinoid (2-AG) is neuroprotectiv... [Nature. 2001] - PubMed result

Cannabinoids on the Brain (full - 2002)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/CannabinoidsOnTheBrain.pdf

Cannabinoids and brain injury: therapeutic implications (full - 2002)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/CannabinoidsAndBrainInjury.pdf

Dexanabinol (HU-211) in the treatment of severe closed head injury: a randomized, placebo-controlled, phase II clinical trial. (abst - 2002)
    Dexanabinol (HU-211) in the treatment of severe cl... [Crit Care Med. 2002] - PubMed result

Marijuana Smoking Doesn't Kill (news - 2003)
    Marijuana Smoking Doesn't Kill
    Cannabinoids As Neuroprotective Agents in Traumatic Brain Injury. (abst - 2004)
    Bentham Science Publishers

(abst - 2005)

The Cannabinoid CB2 Receptor as a Target for Inflammation-Dependent Neurodegeneration (full - 2006)
    The Cannabinoid CB2 Receptor as a Target for Inflammation-Dependent Neurodegeneration

The CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor Mediates Excitotoxicity-induced Neural Progenitor Proliferation and Neurogenesis (full - 2007)
    The CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor Mediates Excitotoxicity-induced Neural Progenitor Proliferation and Neurogenesis ? JBC

Hope that helps!

Granny :wave:[/quote]

Granny, you are like my secret hero. Your vast wealth of knowledge concerning the herb never ceases to amaze me. Keep goin strong :)

19. why does she have to be your secret hero? why cant she just be your hero, hero?:rolleyes:

20. ahhh i used so many of your sources in my HS paper (thanks a lot by the way) but it was a couple yrs ago so i couldn't recall if you could smoke after a concussion.

lol it's great to see that you can.

would you agree that smoking a blunt or out of a bong would be hazardous though?
    cuz when i cough my head pounds so bad...seems like that type of pressure is bad for concussion patients
    or do you think the weed's effects would counteract any of that? lol weed seems amazing enough, i mean it makes up for smoking it with the THC...