Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking while sick

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by 2dollarbill, Oct 24, 2012.

1. I think i just have allergys but i have a stuffy nose and conjested chest. Should i continue to smoke or will it make congestion worse? Anyone go through this??

2. Would not recommend smoking. All it's gonna do is make healing take longer, meaning you could also get more sick in the process.

How is your throat? If it's sore, i would say DO NOT SMOKE. In caps for a reason because I thought I had a cold, a common sore throat and what not, continued smoking. It got worse, but I didn't think it was the weed... until, I smoked, and my throat was so swollen and hurt so much I could barely swallow water! I seriously worried I was going to start having difficulty breathing!

I had to get an antibiotic prescription as it turned out I had a throat infection. But I'm serious, at the start, it really was a simple cold that I aggravated into an infection by smoking....

3. Unless you really, really don't wanna quit smoking though... try small tokes, through a water pipe or bong if that's possible... but if you start getting worse in the next few days.... quit.. I quit whenever I get sick for the duration of my sickness but then again I have absolutely no problem not smoking weed for any amount of time.

4. If its allergys or sore throat i would say no, but if your feeling sick like your body and head ach the i would smoke. It always helps me feel better even from a bad hangover

5. I have a bad background of asthma and pneumonia and smoking makes it worse for me but only if I lie down right after I smoke but regardless I still smoke when im sick because it helps me eat and sleep. I would say keep blazin

6. There was one time I woke up with a tight chest and a "wheezing" breath. I smoked some Marijuana and amazingly it made me forget (or it cured, I don't know) my tight chest. I was sleeping like a baby!

But I wouldn't really recommend smoking while you're sick. It tastes different and all in all is not pleasant for your body.

7. #7 Izzy Mandelbaum, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
    Colds are viral, antibiotics have no effect on them, and it is impossible for a bacteria to somehow morph into a virus. Soooo ..... it was probably the bacteria in your throat that caused it to hurt, then. :rolleyes:

2dollarbill, you should vaporize or eat weed. I always smoke when I am sick, but most people advise against it. The actual act of smoking isn't the nicest when sick, but being stoned is fucking awesome!!

Cannabis is actually an expectorant, so eating it when you are congested is better than sex :)
    I have chronic sinus issues and cannabis is the best at clearing them out. The best.

8. Most people have told me not to smoke when I'm sick. But From my personal experiences It doesnt make me feel any worse, but it def doesnt make me feel better. Your best bet would be just waiting til youre well enough.

9. Thanks GC! Im feelin better and gradually smoking again, its not that it makes it worse but its just not enjoyable when everytime i take a hit i cough my ass up and then that irratates my throat but it goes away.

10. Why not try some firecrackers? Those are quick and easy and probably easier on the throat.

11. When i am sick i take small hits off a vape, not as harsh as the alternatives.

12. Usually when I'm sick I take a few ibuprofen and smoke a few bong hits. I'm obviously not a doctor but from personal experience smoking while being sick hasn't made too much of an impact on healing time. It will be tough on your throat though, don't get me wrong

13. Izzy - you're absolutely right. I most likely had a bacterial infection from the start.

But I have NEVER had an infection this bad before. I have had infections which were not colds and have been given antibiotics in the past. I really think that smoking made my situation much worse.

So I would say, you never know for sure if it's a cold or a bacterial infection. Why take the chance of getting really sick and prolonging your healing? I don't recommend smoking at all when getting sick.

Of course, at the same time, I recommend plenty of rest (as applicable,I had to work while I was sick but before/after work I slept all the time) and also drink lots of GREEN TEA. That shit does miracles for your immune system and I accredite my speedy recovery from a recent illness from drinking 3-4 mugs of green tea each day. Lemon tea is great for sore throats but doesn't provide the immune system boost. You could also consider echinacea pills or tea RIGHT when you start feeling ill. IT doesn't get rid of illness but helps you avoid it in the first place. cheers.

14. if you have strep fuck smoking.All you can really do is hits out of a vape or some edibles.

15. ive smoked while sick a handful of times, and every time it almost totally got rid of the symptoms for an hour or two. but it just ended up making me feel even more tired

16. if you want to get better don't smoke... when i don't stop smoking i'm sick like twice as long.

17. Really? When I smoke I get better within 3 days. :confused_2: I know it lowers your immune system though.

18. The claim that cannabis "lowers your immune system" is laughable at best. Why do cancer patients take cannabis to get better? Why do people with AIDS take it to get better? Why do people with all sorts of conditions take it to get better?
    Probably because it is medicine. Cannabis is a anti-inflammatory, among other things, which is a benefit for anyone, especially when they are ill.

The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is an integral part of our central nervous system, our organ system, and our immune system. More study is needed on the exact interaction foreign cannabinoids play in our ECS.

19. Cannabis has always help with my allerges and dries me up a bit. I can usually clear out my chest also.

I would suggest vaporizing if you want to relieve some of your symptoms.