Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking on an empty stomach

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by WeedIsYummy, Oct 26, 2012.

1. This has happened to me probably about 5 times or so in the last month. Yesterday me and a friend were smoking from my bubbler, we smoked two pretty fat bowls and it was around 2:15 in the afternoon. I had not had anything to eat at this point in the day and had been up since around 7 in the morning. I started immediatly feeling sick and got nauseous. My vision began to get extremely blurry and I could barely see, I began to start falling down and was trying to grab on to the kitchen counter for stability but I was unable to see where it was due to my nausea. Everything became one again when I started eating food but this was a miserable and scary experience. Does this happen to any one else?

2. Happens to me all the time.

Eat first.

3. Nope. I've got stomach problems so sometimes I wake up and don't eat until I get back from class between 1-6 depends on the day. When I get back the thought of food make me sick. So I blaze. And feel alright :D and then eat my goodies :D

4. this never happens to me I just took 3 fat rips and my stomach is empty as fuck.

sounds like a good high for you besides the whole sick thing/enjoy it now while it's still super crazy

5. I'll smoke without eating all the time but I don't fall over n shit.

6. Yeah right? I smoke on an empty stomach all the time. You guys must be spoiled and always have food around haha. Never have I ever been falling all over a kitchen nauseas after smoking lolol

7. Your blood sugar was too low. NEVER smoke when your blood sugar is too low. No wonder you passed out. Eat something first.

8. This happened to me once the other day. I took a big fat bong rip. and was like fuck I don't feel good and just puked the water I had drank that morning.. Gotta eat man gotta eat!

9. Yes, I once passed out. I've been close to throwing up many times, i still smoke when i have an empty stomach, usually no problem. But when that tinnitus and nausea hits you, aucchhh thats a nasty feeling

10. I've fainted twice consecutively one day after I took a jay to the dome at the mall...In the middle of the food court, fell down, all fucked up and shit...It was definitely cuz I hadn't eaten that day and my fucking blood sugar got low

11. You need to keep some sweets near by for your low blood sugar, Grandpa.

12. I know if you accidently swallow some smoke it'll upset your stomach, I've had bad trips doing so... I mean puking and extreme nausea man! I know if you eat edibles(food cooked with thc) on a empty stomach it actually makes the "juices" kick in faster and be less work on your stomach to digest. However, if you have a full stomach it'll surely upset your stomach.

13. I actually prefer smoking on an empty stomach. If I'm full then smoke in get lethargic as fuck

14. Has only happened to me like this once, and I was coming down from unmentionables and stoned at the same time. I was actually fine until I cut my finger with a knife while chopping some potatoes. The combination of coming down/being stoned/being hungry/hurting myself pretty much sent me over the edge and I almost passed out. Not a lot of fun. The nausea is horrible.

15. Its not smoking on an empty or full stomach thats the problem. Its smoking on already low blood sugar vs high or normal blood sugar.

Weed makes your blood sugar drop (for some people more dramatically than others). This is part of the reason for the munchies, because usually when your blood sugar is a little low, it means you're hungry. But when your blood sugar gets too low, its harmful for your body and you get weak and sick and have symptoms like the OP described.

My suggestion to anyone who has this problem is to eat something with starch in it (potatoes, pasta, rice, bread etc) a little bit before smoking. These foods are broken down into sugars when you digest them, so they'll help keep your blood sugar up over time. Candies and simple sugars raise your blood sugar more quickly, but then it peaks and comes down again fairly quickly (sugar crash and getting sick from eating too much candy can both be low blood sugar from your body overreacting to simple sugar intake).

Also, if you eat candy before you smoke and the blood-sugar lowering effect happens just as your body is releasing insulin to bring your blood sugar back to normal, you could lower it too much and cause symptoms like these to happen when they didn't before.

Won't happen to everybody all the time though. Some people's bodies are better at regulating blood sugar than others. For me it varies. Sometimes I have no problem, and sometimes I feel faint if I don't eat breakfast.

16. I do it all the time, and it usually makes me forget I'm hungry at all haha

...until about 15 minutes to an hour later when the EPIC munchies set in. Then its inevitable; I'm going to smash hardcore until I feel sick

17. Smoking on a empty stomach shouldn't affect you... The work is all in your brain and bloodstream. I always smoke when I wake up with a empty stomach.

18. Yea, your blood sugar was most definitely low. Smoking weed makes it lower as well. So if you feel shaky and weak before smoking you should probably eat something first. I have type 1 Diabetes so I have to constantly worry about this. If your blood runs too low you could have a seizure.

19. This happend to me at a concert and i started sweating luckly i was leaning or somthing or i probaly would of passed out

20. I fast through out the day until 6pm, I often times wake n bake with no nausea, if anything, my hunger goes away