Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

smoking kill brain cells?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by liljeff64, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Im sure everyone heard this rumor before, i heard its not true and it only paralizes brain cells for two weeks. what do you guys think?:smoking:

2. It wouldn't matter if it did. Brain cells grow back very quickly.

3. Marijuana use does NOT kill brain cells.

Studies that show Marijuana smoking kills brain cells are directly attributed to asphyxiation. If you are not inhaling oxygen, and it cannot travel via blood into your brain, you will eventually lose brain cells. As long as you are a functioning human you will not lose brain cells. In fact, recent studies have shown that Marijuana actually stimulates brain cells.

4. Weston shut up you don't know what your talking about. Human brain cells replicate at the approximate rate of 1x2 every 80 years. Basically once you kill a brain cell you don't get it back.

5. In the test that "proved" that the test subjects(chimps) were suffocated. Suffocation = loss of brain cells.

6. How can they even tell if you lost brain cells. :confused: They must do some Hannibal shit and pull the top of you skull off, to take a peak.:eek:

7. #7 musho3210, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2009

Depends on age and type of brain cell..... No need for flaming.

Plus, not enough is known about brain cells and their reproduction/replication. Here's a study that shows brain cells do replicate themselves even in adults. http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/926345803.html

8. thank you sir.

9. "Thousands of new cells are generated in the adult brain every day, particularly in the hippo­campus, a structure involved in learning and memory."

From this months's Scientific American
    How to Save New Brain Cells: Scientific American

10. :smoking:<(IT TICKLES MY BRAIN!!!)

11. Lol ever heard of a CAT scan Or things similar.

12. Lmaooo, from what i know it fucks around with your short-term memory cells, but that's about it... oh and don't forget about your lungs man, i think i'm more worried about those than my brain lol

13. The only reason it fucks with your memory is because THC mimcs a chemical made in your brain called anandamide, One of the things that anandamide regulates is short-term memory. So if you smoke/eat whatever, and THC gets absorbed and processed in the brain by an andndamide receptor, its going to have some adverse effects on it, but its nothing serious, and should return to normal in a few days.

14. It tickles mine toooo!!!!!!:smoking:

15. #17 oldskoolgrower, Apr 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009

Don't listen to them when they tell you that it doesn't kill brain cells. Marijuana causes severe and permanent brain damage that you will never recover from. Take myself as a prime example. I've been smoking heavily for 30 years. I can barely form a coherent sentence at this point. Even just trying to spell a three letter word like 'the' causes me to have severe anxiety attacks and migraine headaches because my brain is so filled with little holes from the years of chronic smoking.

It's sheer luck that I have a successful career, nice house, lovely wife, nice cars, and unlimited supplies of food and smoke. By all rights, given the fact that I have been left with the IQ of a dill pickle from all the cannabis, I should be living in a flop house and sitting on the corner of Penn and 9th with a cup asking for spare change.

Quit while you can. Cannabis will fry your brain.

(end sarcasm)

16. How about some scientific studies? Nothing like FACTS to clear things up!

Effects of frequent marijuana use on brain tissue volume and composition
    Effects of frequent marijuana use on brain tissue volume and composition

Findings of a longitudinal study of effects on IQ
    Current and former marijuana use: preliminary findings of a longitudinal study of effects on IQ in young adults -- Fried et al. 166 (7): 887 -- Canadian Medical Association Journal

Heavy cannabis use without long-term effect on global intelligence
    IACM-Bulletin

Marijuana does not dent IQ permanently
    Marijuana does not dent IQ permanently - 08 April 2002 - New Scientist

Cannabis use and cognitive decline in persons under 65 years of age
    Cannabis use and cognitive decline in persons under 65 years of age

Non-acute (residual) neurocognitive effects of cannabis use: a meta-analytic study.
    Non-acute (residual) neurocognitive effects of can...[J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2003] - PubMed Result

Review: executive functioning and cannabis use.
    Unbound MEDLINE | [Review: executive functioning and cannabis use.] Journal article

And for the dude worried about his lungs-

Long-Term Marijuana Users Suffer Few Health Problems, Australian Study Indicates
    Long-Term Marijuana Users Suffer Few Health Problems, Australian Study Indicates

Smoking Cannabis Does Not Cause Cancer Of Lung or Upper Airways
    CCRMG

No association between lung cancer and cannabis smoking in large study
    IACM-Bulletin

Marijuana Smoking Found Non-Carcinogenic
    Medical News: ATS: Marijuana Smoking Found Non-Carcinogenic - in Hematology/Oncology, Lung Cancer from MedPage Today

CLAIM #4: MARIJUANA CAUSES LUNG DISEASE
    Erowid Cannabis Vault : Exposing Marijuana Myths

Click the link in my sig for more studies on all sorts of stuff! Mad Cow disease, MS, cancer, MRSA, diabetes, Alzheimer's....Check it out- I DARE you to read all the titles in my list! :p

Granny :wave: (toking for over 40 years)

17. Dude, check your spelling and punctuation, its disgusting, go back to school. Dumb stoners.....

18. LMFAO i really thought you were serious then man.