Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking daily bad for athletes?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Bigbax, May 31, 2012.

1. #1 Bigbax, May 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2012
    I'm going in to my senior year of high school i tried bud for the first time at the end of my sophomore year being about a year later i started to smoke every day about 40 days ago (i just smoke one small bowl and do 3-6 over the weekends)

Now that you have the background I'm a little worried about football this summer
    I haven't seemed to notice a change in my conditioning or anything like that but I'm still worried it will effect my performance.

so guess any other athletes out there share your wisdom should i stop for football or do you think I will be ok..

any way thanks for your help..

2. Im a hiker, and do crossfit 5 days a week.
    When im hiking i never really notice anything different, but when i go to do my crossfit workouts and oly lifts, i have a harder time breathing than the others, But it has never been too bad. Probably comes from me smoking cigarettes in the past more so than smoking weed everyday. As long as the rest of me is healthy i dont find it a problem.

3. oh! And the days i workout, i dont smoke all morning until after im done, or it tends to make the workout a little harder

4. I've been smoking everyday for a while and it doesn't affect my cycling skills.

5. i usually blaze before i hit the gym. then again I'm not doing any sports pro anymore =[

6. you shouldn't smoke all the time if you're athletic. if your lungs are clogged, you can definitely bet your stamina will be affected as well. that's why some people really moderate themselves. your lungs can be fucked up for a bit, but after some time, they should be fine

7. yea it can definetly affect your stamina. Just make sure you don't smoke before practice or games.

8. I'm sure it doesn't help but at the rate you smoke I doubt it has much effect. If your that worried maybe buy a vape? There a lot healthier.

9. Decreases lung capacity.

So yeah, it's bad for sports.

10. I notice that I'm more short of breath when I smoke everyday. I go running but I noticed that the more consistent I am on exercising the easier it gets to breathe. I guess the effects of smoking are reduced with the healthy lifestyle of exercising.

11. Goin' into your senior year, eh?:cool:

12. nickdiaz.jpg

13. I smoke everyday of HS , pretty much .

Played varsity soccer and ran track as a sophomore .

I think you'll be alright .

14. Eventually smoking ANYTHING will do bad things to the lungs. Just the tiny particles of carbon (from smoke) will irritate your lungs. Cannabis won't give you lung cancer, unlike tobacco, but breathing smoke isn't good. Get a vaporizer!

Beside protecting your lungs, using a vape will save you money since you use less. The "left-overs" make passable brownies (Yes, you can get high twice on your pot!). Vaporizing smells less than smoking, which can be a big plus!

Granny

15. I've noticed that directly after smoking I'm a little out of breath. But if I don't smoke directly before an activity I'm ok.

16. listen to this woman OP, she knows what she's on about.

i'm an athlete (basketball, cricket and aussie football) and i smoke erryday without any cardiovascular reprocussions, but if you are still worried, get a vape or make edibles.

happy toking :bongin:

17. Im a Junior and a varsity swimmer, all my friends think its crazy how long I can hold my breath, and It doesnt really affect my swimming so you should be fine with a sport like football which isnt that physically demanding..