Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking Cannabis and Asthma

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Aeternus, Sep 8, 2012.

1. #1 Aeternus, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2012
    Alright, last night I went to the ER because I was having severe asthma problems. They gave me two albuteral nebulizer treatments.

I am a regular weed smoker (almost everyday), and I was a regular cigarette smoker (usually smoking a lot of cigarettes when baked). Last night was a wake up call because I hadn't been to the hospital for asthma related problems in almost ten years. I had just started smoking cigarettes last summer around June, so it's been a year and a few months of smoking cigarettes, and since I was on probation when I began smoking cigarettes I wasn't smoking both at the same time. I got off probation in March of this year, and my asthma has gotten progressively worse.

There are other factors that played into last night's asthma attack, such as the fact that it's allergy season and I have a chest cold, but those are beside the point. I've been able to go through this time of year with ease simply using my inhaler, but now it's different, and I'm really reconsidering my lifestyle. I love blazing by myself and with friends, but I'm worried that if I keep smoking weed, the symptoms will get worse. I am quitting cigarettes, because I understand that they are a MUCH worse habit than smoking cannabis.

tl;dr I'm wondering if I should quit smoking weed to stop my asthmatic symptoms from worsening, or if I could quit the cigs and keep going with the bud.

2. #2 Sticky b, Sep 8, 2012
    Cannabis is a mild bronchodilator to be honest. In fact i just read an article in which a long term study (20 years I think) showed cannabis did not cause pulmonary problems such as lung cancer or copd. Multiple test subjects with many being heavy users and even they showed no worse pulmonary function tests than the rest of the non smoking public.

Though while you're having a flare up I'd hold of toking till you feel better.

Definitely quite the cigs though. Those things will definitely cause you nothing but problems.

From the first inhale of a cigarette you're body starts to react with inflammatory response that can cause permanent damage.

Oh by the way I work in the medical field. Respiratory therapy to be honest.

Peace

Edit
    You might want to consider adding an inhaled corticosteroid if you continue to have problems.
    PM me if you want I can help you come up with some treatment strategies.

3. Tried messaging, I'm assuming that I can't because of my post count. To put it simply, I'd appreciate any tips that allow me to smoke pot. It relaxes me, helps me sleep, and usually helps me concentrate. I understand I messed up with the whole tobacco thing, and I am done with them, but I'd really like to keep marijuana a part of my lifestyle simply because it makes life easier.

4. QUIT THE CIGS, THERE 99% OF THE PROBLEM!!! Weeds an expectorant so it will make all that nasty shit in your lungs come up when you smoke/cough, the only bad thing about it is the burning plant matter part.

I also have asthma and am an everyday smoker. Get a nice vape if you can. Dont smoke blunts. Try to stick to bubblers/bongs for your daily drivers. I switch back and forth between a vapor brothers vape and a glasss on glass bong with an ashcatcher (doublebubble=more filtration and diffusion)

In my state you can get your MMJ card for asthma as well.

5. First off, quit the tobacco!

You don't have to quit cannabis, just get a vaporizer!

I have a friend who is an asthmatic with other health problems. She would cough and cough when she would have a puff. One day I let her try my vaporizer. She took a puff.... and smiled! :D 5 minutes later, we were ordering her a vaporizer!

If you want to learn more about asthma and cannabis, click that first link in my sig. I collect a lot of medical studies and articles about the medical uses of cannabis. Some are kind of old-

Acute effects of smoked marijuana and oral delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol on specific airway conductance in asthmatic subjects (full - 1974) Acute effects of smoked marijuana and oral delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol on specific airway conductance in asthmatic subjects

Others are newer-

Medical Marijuana and Asthma (news – 2009)
    [FONT=&quot]https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/content/ailments/view/127?ailment=asthma-[/FONT]

Cannabis is a lot more than "just" a way to get high! :smoke:

6. #6 Aeternus, Sep 8, 2012
    Unfortunately, to be completely honest, I'm not in a very good financial situation right now, and literally the only piece I have is a pretty nice glass bowl. I'm assuming that would work for the time being until I can afford a vape or bong?

And, which state is that?

That's a lot of information that I'm about to delve into, and I will read it all, but, as I was discussing with a family member earlier today, there has to be some negative effects to it. In one of the articles of read already, it states that while there are good short-term effects to an asthmatic using cannabis, it may turn out worse for them in the long run.

That's obviously not word for word, but you get the point. I'll find the link in a moment.

7. Yes, of course. Just quit the cigs thats the most important part.

Michigan. Pretty sure you can in California and maybe Colorado too.

8. Weed as a bronchodilator is not a myth. I have asthma and just to see if it'd work, I waited until I had a mild asthma attack and tried taking a hit off of my bubbler with my inhaler to great avail. I didn't even need to take a hit off of my inhaler because the weed helped just as much. If anything, smoking weed while smoking cigs stopped the cigs from giving you more severe/frequent asthma attacks. IMHO, you should switch to vaping so as to avoid any lung damage from smoke inhalation, but other than that, there's no real reason why you should stop. :smoke: Just get rid of the cigs, for sure!!!

9. Well, with all of the vape suggestions, does anyone know where I can get a reliable yet affordable one?

10. [quote name='"Aeternus"']

Tried messaging, I'm assuming that I can't because of my post count. To put it simply, I'd appreciate any tips that allow me to smoke pot. It relaxes me, helps me sleep, and usually helps me concentrate. I understand I messed up with the whole tobacco thing, and I am done with them, but I'd really like to keep marijuana a part of my lifestyle simply because it makes life easier.[/quote]

Got your message and replied. Hope we can help. Actually I know we can. Were stoners. We can do anything..... Later.

11. Quit tobacco, and get a vape or learn to make edibles

12. Honestly I would just save up at least 150 for a nice reliable vape. Until then get a nice bubbler, and a bong if you can. Pick up some hemp-wick too and light your weed with that vs the lighter.

Get a bottle of iso too keep your bubbler really clean, like clean it so often that res cant build up. That will ensure cleaner hits.

oh and if you get a bong get glass on glass or its not worth it.

13. Its the cigarettes that are making your asthma worse, not the weed. Now maybe smoking it might not be your best option, try vaping, edibles, etc. My husband has severe asthma and has been through something similar, he still smokes weed, but no ciggs anymore, and no blunts or joints.

14. Well yes, I can see how you'd be puzzled by this decision...
    :rolleyes:

Quit tobacco, get a vape.
    This will not only fuck off the bad things that happen but it'll clear up your lungs some too. People that talk about smoking weed being "good" for asthma, might be onto something slightly...but really smoking anything isn't ideal no matter what it is.
    Vaping HELPS, smoking won't.

15. If youve got asthma definitely one hundred percent no hesitation quit the ciggies bro, smoking and asthma dont go well together at all. As for smoking weed, it probably isnt the best idea, but a vaporize would be more or less foolproof, invest in a vape if not for you for your lungs.

16. I meant to phrase that as quit both instead of one or the other. My mistake. :p

I appreciate all the insight and support. I am quitting cigarettes (crushed my last pack this morning) and I intend to save up for a vape. Thanks again.

Keep on blazing!