Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking before anesthesia

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Jvault tolks Os, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Well tomorrow I have to get surgery on my teeth, so I'm getting anesthesia, would it be okay to smoke the night before? Or even after I get home? Or should I wait?

2. What kind of surgery are you having? Without knowing, I would say yes, and yes.

3. I have impacted teeth, so they're pulling down my I tooth but they have to make and incision in my gums.

4. Oh same thing as getting your wisdoms out then. They say not to smoke because you'll get dry socket, but I'm gonna have to say that they mean cigarette smoke. When I had Oral surgery for my wisdom's, I waited till the day after I got them out to smoke, but only cause I didn't have bud. Honestly though, I'd wait until atleast the gum stopped bleeding, then you should be good to go, only because lots of suction might tear the wound while its that fresh out of surgery.

As far as the anesthetics, you have nothing to worry about.

5. Alright thanks bro! I don't have bud as of right now but I think I'm gonna pick up tonight... it all depends on how lazy I am!

6. It's the sucking motion from smoking that is the problem. When you draw in from a straw or cigarette, it can dislodge the blood clots. I'd give it a couple days if possible. That being said, edibles would be awesome.

Smoking the night before would be fine. I just wouldn't smoke close enough to the appointment that you're still high, since they will be sedating you.

7. +rep for both of you thanks for the help!
    :smoke: toke on!

8. The night before would be fine. Don't smoke for the recommended time afterwards (I believe it's two weeks) doing so could dislodge blood clots and put you at risk for dry socket.

Basically, take whatever they tell you about tobacco use, and it goes for weed as well. That said, edibles are fine, if you can chew lol.

Good luck! Dental surgery is a bitch.

9. 2 weeks?! oh god! haha, but im not getting wisdom teeth removed so i dont think there would be blood clots.

I got braces put in waaay to late and now have them, yes I am one of those older people with braces... :( But its better to fix them. ANYWAY, what they are doing is making an incision in my gums to pull down a tooth that is stuck behind my bite plate.. so in theory, there will already be an open whole where a tooth is coming through. Please help me out here.

Also the chain pulling down the tooth will be gold... ghetto...

10. I toked after I got my wisdom teeth out... just used a bubbler to get the tip past my teeth. But smoking a little bit before the treatment should be good... just don't go in ripped as shit as I have no clue :D

11. Oh I misunderstood. Well, I honestly don't know, but I'm sure you doctor will inform you about smoking, just listen to him/her. Whatever s/he says about tobacco goes for smoking marijuana.