Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking around unfamiliar people paranoia.

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Jumpfruit, Aug 3, 2013.

1. #1 Jumpfruit, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
    Okay, let me just make this clear: this thread is NOT for discussion of paranoia over getting caught, there are already threads for that. 

Let me give you an example of the kind of thing I would like to discuss:

When I started my time at university last September, I met some friends whom I later discovered were weed smokers. For the next 3/4 months I smoked semi-frequently with them. They were all male and obviously I didn't know them that well. We smoked in E's room, often with his weed and crashed there afterwards. E was clearly the 'leader' of the group before I met them, and he still was after I arrived. He was a big lad, too, and I was kind of intimidated by him, I guess. What I am about to explain is probably both the cause and the perpetuating factor.

When I got stoned with them I would have a good time but when I was super high, I would have awful quasi-hallucinations, both auditory and visual. When we talked in his room, I thought he was subtly threatening, insulting and intimidating me. I knew that the weed was probably to blame, but it was very realistic. He would be chatting with someone, or all of us, and I was often too stoned to really follow the conversation, but what I would often see is him turning towards me, staring me down and saying something like 'just fuck off'. It would usually be something in that vein. What made it worse is that he was usually a very friendly character, but seemed like he could have a dark side. Everyone loved him, but when stoned, he turned very nasty to me. I clearly remember chatting within the group in a darkened room and him saying something like 'I'm going to fucking kill you'. I was really tripped out because he would say that and then go straight back to laughing and chatting. It was like he was having terrible moodswings. 

Now, I am an inherently anxious person. I know that, and that's why I still blame this on my mental state. This behaviour led me to avoid E for about a month, but I became friends with him again after that time. Now, I know him well and he is a good friend. In fact I am moving in to a house with him in a week. I don't have the the paranoia any more.

To further evidence my theory: I was at a party yesterday and got very stoned. I danced among 20-30 people and thought for a good hour that everyone around me was mocking and ridiculing me. They weren't; I'm sure.

Thank you, anyone who has read this far.

Does anybody else have this extreme paranoia that you're being ridiculed when you're high? Usually amongst unfamiliar people? 

It's a very nasty feeling, but it passes with enough mental strength.

2. That's messed up. Can't say that's happened but I usually only smoke around the same people. I'd say don't smoke so much around these new guys for a while. Just smoke a little and say your good and see if you still see him get so mean.

3. Oh, I'm over it now. As I said in the original post, I'm good friends with him now and don't get the same paranoia anymore. 

4. What the fuck. He turns to you and says "I'll fucking kill you" in the middle of a smoking sesh? The guy redefines buzzkill. Glad to hear it's all good now but if he persists, fuck it dip and smoke somewhere else. You don't need that buzzkill alpha male bullshit ruining your good time.