Smoked/Grilled meats and fish

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by TimJ, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Welcome aboard HTownBudz. Nothing like a food thread to get your munchies in high gear,right. Thanks for the compliment, there are some very talented folks here. I hope you'll share your own grilling/smoking experiences with us.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Yeah they have bore here that comes out once a year that their diet is high in acorn. It totally comes out in the flavor. I try it every year. Every year i don't like it lol.

Sent with more cow bell!?

• Like Like x 3
  3. I've only had wild boar once and didn't care for it either. I like my pig with some fat on it's bones. Boar just seemed dry and had a very gamy taste.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Yessssss and add Acorn to it and I'm just like nope. At least i try it.... Every year, for going on 7 now lol

• Like Like x 3
  5. I tried alligator once when in the Florida everglades on a wild boar hunt. It was the greasiest awful tasting meat I've ever had. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But, it may have just been the way it was processed and cooked. It was in a restaurant on the Seminole tribes land.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Interesting. How did they do it? This is one thing I actually am interested in trying

• Like Like x 3
  7. It was alligator fritters. I would try it again. But, it would have to be in a restaurant that is well known for their alligator.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Ahhhh yeah i think that's pretty common

• Like Like x 3
  9. It was really good! It was alot more rice than pork so it was a different kind of bite but I'd definitely have it again.
    Same here!! I've always wanted to try alligator too. I went to a place that had it once and they were out. Someone once told me it tastes like lobster meat but I guess they were full of it

• Like Like x 3
  10. These are just grilled center cut pork chops. Better for us ya know... But, not a lot of flavor. So, I changed that. These are encrusted with Herbes-de-Provence. It's the lavender in this spice mix that really pulls this simple grilled chops off. I also add a pad of butter on each side to add some fat. 20210627_193656.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  11. OOOH! I have some chops in the freezer that were looking for a new way to eat. Was thinking to grill them and top with some sort of marmalade. That herb crust you used looks good! How'd they come out?

• Like Like x 3
  12. They were delicious 3Deez. I've only discovered that herb blend a few years back. I've never even heard of lavender as a spice for foods before that point. It really works well with pork.

• Like Like x 3
  13. I've had it in ice cream. If done right, it's amazing. If done wrong ewww

• Like Like x 3
  14. I
    I've never had it in ice cream. I bet it was great. I think the smell adds as much as the flavor does.

• Like Like x 3
  15. So on Alligator, we would only eat the tails. You have to skin the tails and soak them in salty water to get the gamey taste out. Then we would slice them into tenders, dip them into egg, and roll them in a slap your momma spiced flour mix and lightly fry them in a cast iron with some virgin olive oil .....ours never turned out too oily, but it all depends on how you prepare it, and what oils you cook with

HT

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Now that sounds legit

• Like Like x 3
  17. HTownBudz, I thought it was likely the way it was cooked. Maybe I was eating belly fat? I had some poorly prepared conch fritters the first time I tried conch. It was like chewing small pieces of rubber. The second time I had them they were fantastic.

• Like Like x 3
  18. i dont know were yall been eating your gator,but greasy,ya the grease was old and used up.
    im talking a fresh kill gator tail deep fried in peanut oil,dang im hurting myself hahaha with new arteries i cant have that hahaha.
    same with the hog marinade is the key,best to grind them up,go buy a porklion then get a beef brisket,match the pork with beef in weight,then if you have 30 pounds of meat,take that weight and cut to half with bacon ends,the scraps of the sliced bacon,come in 5 lb boxs,only bacon i can afford ,no joke,but take all that and grind it up,make sure all the meat is almost frozen,never let it get thawed or mushy,once you have a good grind on it all add all the seasoning and grind last time, put back in the cooler and get your stuffer ready or what i do is make breakfast patties.
    dont worry about going over board wrapping for frezzer,as soon as the kids find out you made it you will all sudden have so many friends hahahah

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Welcome to the thread old shol4evr, we don't have access to fresh alligator up here in NY. I bet that would make a big difference. I tried alligator when I was in the Florida everglades on a wild boar hunt. I agree, everything is better with bacon. I cut venison with pork butt / shoulder when making sausage. Now, when are you going to drop some pictures of some good southern grilling-n-smoking. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. since my surgery all i get to do is look hahaha i smoked some meat around 3 weeks ago though,normally we buy the months worth and smoke it ,cause we both lazy hahah put in frezzer and heat and serve lol.
    for some reason it just sits well doing it all at once,less work ,i think old should be in there some were,she is ,i aint,lol.
    ya next time you got wild game add some bacon ends and that smoke flavor is the ticket
    for some reason lot of folks are confused about boars,yes the meat is tougher ,the meat also is gamer if the hog sees you or is trapped ,it will put out a musk smell ,if it is a ear hit you couldnt tell the difrence between a sow or boar.
    it is a sport here ,catching hogs,they are caught,casterated and ear is notched,so if a hunter is hunting on a stand over a feeder or what ever if they see the notched ear they know the hog wont musk up,once caterated they get fat and huge ,they also loose the armor plate on the front shoulder

• Like Like x 4