Smoked/Grilled meats and fish

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by TimJ, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Anyone else here wood smoke their own meats and fish. I've gotten back into it a little. Here is a picture of a Chuck roast up top, poor mans brisket. And a pork shoulder on the bottom, for pulled pork. 20190923_213015.jpg The chuck roast will be smoked with Hickory and the Pork shoulder will be smoked with Apple.They both have dry rubs on right now and will be refrigerated until tomorrow morning.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Oh man Cookin like that will make neighbors pretty friendly to ya.

• Like Like x 4
  3. My neighbors are great cooks and two of them also smoke meats,fish and cheese. We share back and forth all the time. I have smoked Mackerel in the fridge from one right now. 20190923_225135.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Nice man sounds like expensive taste. Smoked meats n cheese with wine n weed u guys livin it up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Not really expensive.. The pork shoulder was on sale, less than 4 dollars. The chuck roast around 11 dollars. My brother is one of my neighbors and he caught the Mackerel in Maine on his vacation.

• Like Like x 2
  6. #6 TimJ, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    This is the pulled Chuck roast. It will be used for sandwiches and taco's. Also threw together a chocolate pie for dessert.Pork shoulder has about 3 more hours. 20190924_203012.jpg 20190924_175850.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ever do any deer jerky? That's my bread and butter! Usually make 20 or 30 lbs a year. (Couple of deer worth)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yes, I have Canibis. I haven't in years though. I used to use a jerky shooter with ground deer meat. I like deer jerky better than beef jerky. I also make my own sausage.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I dabble a bit, but don't really have a good sausage recipe yet. I thinks its kind of like growing. Takes a lot of time to truly master, but completely worth the trials and tribulations.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. View attachment 2683161
    Very true. My biggest mistake when first starting out was using to lean of cuts. Pork shoulder works good for your pork portion of your recipes. I've used this book as a guide since the late 80's. I've had great luck with many of the recipes in it. Also using fresh dried spices and ice cold almost partially frozen meats help a lot. 20190924_225816 - Edited (1).jpg

• Like Like x 3
  11. Here are a few pictures of the pork shoulder whole and pulled apart. 20190924_231509.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. This is what I'm up to this weekend. The ground meat is a mix of pork and beef with spices. This will become a smoked,dried sausage called Landjaeger. I make this every fall it is delicious. 20190928_172056.jpg 20190928_190714.jpg 20190928_190723.jpg The other sausage is Bratwurst it's a fresh sausage. Both German varieties.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Got a batch going on the smoker and dehydrators tomorrow!! Deer season starts Tuesday, have to make room

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. S2C ! How you been brother?

I need to make up the rest of my rough cuts soon, and smoke a batch or 5.

Hoping it cools down enough by November here. Because if it stays as hot as it is now, they'll be smoked by the time I get out the stand. Lol

• Like Like x 3
  15. Almost died in Jan and again in May when my bowels perforated. Came home from hospital Father’s Day weekend weighing 126 lbs. I’m up to 155 now but still weak and in pain. But I was given some more time for whatever reason, so I’m making the most of it now

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Sorry about what your going through Soil2Coco. I like the way you think. Given more time to accomplish something.

• Like Like x 4
  17. My 19 year old son just bought a house. It’s a full gut and remodel. Luckily I passed my home improvement company on to him as well and now he’s making the big bucks. I wanted to retire at 55 and hand him the reigns but cancer decided 37 was long enough. At least I’ll get to help him fix this house up and we’ll always have those memories.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. It's great your son wants to follow in your footsteps. He's young too. My son is 21 and still in college. He took a few years off. You and I had similar goals. I was a workaholic and wanted to retire at 55 as well,I worked for GE. I tried taking an upright freezer down a flight of stairs by myself and lost my footing. It made it down 11 steps when I caught it. I blew out 5 discs. I worked for another 6 years before I had a series of surgeries that ended up permanently disabling me. Then 10 years later I was diagnosed with MS. I'd spend as much time as I could with my son too if I was in your shoes. Not sure if you believe in prayer. But, I'll add you to mine.

• Like Like x 3
  19. I believe very much in prayer. And will do so for you as well. It’s the only reason I’m still here. God Bless brother.

• Like Like x 3
  20. I smoked some cheese today. This is my old smoker,used for low temperature items like fish and cheese. What you see up top is called a coldbox. It just raises the inside rack above the smoke/heater and allows me to obtain a lower temp. The second picture is the 3 types of cheese I smoked and vacuumed packed. 20191001_131551.jpg 20191001_232442.jpg

• Like Like x 4