Smoked/Grilled meats and fish

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by TimJ, Sep 24, 2019.

1. I sad the same thing lol. That skin looks like the finish glaze on a high end duck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. #62 TimJ, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    I smoked some cheese last night. Almost lost it all to an over temperature situation. Here's what it looks like. It still tastes delicious and will only get better with time. Smoked 1 1/2 hours with apple 80-100 degrees. Except when the temp. went to high at 107. Top row Colby Jack,Pepper Jack. Bottom row is Swiss and Monterey Jack. Oh yeah, they were each 1 pound blocks cut in 5 pieces. DSCN0814.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Oh yes please!

Sent with more cow bell!?

• Like Like x 5
  4. I used some of the Colby Jack in an antipasto salad I made last night,excellent mild flavor added from the apple smoke. I also tried the Swiss. It's the first time I smoked Swiss. The Swiss looks ugly.. But, is absolutely delicious.

• Like Like x 4
  5. I like what I’m seeing here folks everyone talking cooking techniques.

My weapons of choice are a Big Green Egg and a Blackstone and if I have to I can rock a conventional Oven.

Did some chicken last night roasted high above the coals at 300 for a hour and a half pulled at a internal of 165
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Looks delicious snackstick. I've always wanted one of those Big Green Egg's. Maybe someday.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Thanks Tim. I can tell you they are worth the investment , it’s a smoker you will be able to hand down to your children.

I got so sick of electric smokers breaking and my metal grills rusting and rotting I gave it a shot and man it was a game changer.

I’ve done everything from brisket to chocolate cake to eggs and cheese then back to sir fry and everything in between.

Good thread man I look forward to seeing what everyone is making

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. I'm looking forward to seeing more of what you smoke/grill as well. I've never been as adventurous with grilling as you have been. I've stuck with electric's for the smokers so far. I'm to forgetful to keep an eye on the heat source. I've had my Big Chief for over 20 years. I purchased a Masterbuilt digital electric 30" a few years ago, and that one is still going strong too. I use a Weber Spirit II gas grill for outdoor cooking.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Meant to post this here last night.

Yesterday, we got gifted some tuna and salmon. I'd already seen a video for smoked salmon with teriyaki glaze that I wanted to try so this was a good opportunity.
    IMG_20210605_192656.jpg IMG_20210605_192548.jpg IMG_20210605_204944.jpg IMG_20210605_205546.jpg IMG_20210605_205601.jpg IMG_20210605_205610.jpg IMG_20210605_210820.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Beautiful looking cuts of fish 3Deez, your very lucky. It all looks mouth watering delicious. I have a new goal smoked tuna this summer. I've never tried it. I like the idea of the teriyaki glaze too. Awesome job.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Thanks! I won't use mesquite for this next time though. It's very strong for this type of meat in my opinion.

That glaze is just a water, soy and brown sugar base. Extra brown sugar cause we like it sweet and chili flake for heat. It's came out really good. I want to try it on some wings.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Did up a leg of Black Bear today turned out really good. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Looks delicious snackstick. I've only had black bear once. I remember cooking it on an open fire on sticks and it wasn't something I'd try again that way. Yours on the other hand looks like it would taste very good. I've had moose a few times and it's my favorite game animal. I love the variety of meats you folks are grilling/smoking.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. I agree, I save mesquite,oak,hickory, and or pecan for red meats mostly. I like fruit woods for pork,chicken and cheese. I have some Mulberry I'm going to try on some chicken this summer. I like your combination of sweet and heat. That's right up my alley.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Looks like it came out good Snacks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. #76 Heavn, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    How is bear to eat? Never had it.

• Like Like x 3
  17. You planning on going bear hunting soon?

J

• Like Like x 5
  18. Oh you know it raaawwwrrr. No but i am really curious, it is one I'd be willing to try out. There are some things i take a hard pass on. Others I'm willing to give it a whirl.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. First time I tried it I was surprised how sweet the meat is. It’s hard to describe almost like a cross between pork and beef with a natural sweetness

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Can't believe i just seen this thread!!!!

My dads in to smoking thing a lot. My moms favorite is ICE. Then refreeze the ice and make cocktails with it. As the ice cube melts its gives off a smoky flavor.

How to Smoke Ice for Cocktails (traegergrills.com)

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1