Smoked/Grilled meats and fish

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by TimJ, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Definitely love to throw something on the grill or in the smoker. I use a couple of different grills and a regular old box smoker. I just like cooking outside.

I did a few slabs of baby backs on the grill today and also some cheater burnt ends. Took the backs off at 155, butter brown sugar, foil wrapped on the cool end of the fire. Came out tender as heck. Burnt ends doused in our sauce and left to caramelize.
    Screenshot_20210530-183536~2.jpg IMG_20210530_181347.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. man oh man drool

Sent with more cow bell!?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Looks delicious 3Deez, now I want to make ribs.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Well Timmy, looks like this thread is about to get all the bbq pics..........thread is officially being reopened

HT

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. That sounds good to me @HTownBudz. The season is here and I'm eager to learn from some real masters or even beginner grillers/smokers. And...Lets not forget desserts either.

• Like Like x 3
  6. I definitely don't consider myself an expert. I just grew up watching my grandmother get down on one of those split open drum barrel grills. She was the one who taught us all to remove the membrane off the bone side and actually prep a slab before hand. I always thought it was common practice but I've met quite a few who don't know or just prefer not to. I think it makes a huge difference for getting flavor into the meat.

I just like how the conversation stops around the table once everybody starts eating lol. That's how I know when I nailed em

• Like Like x 4
  7. Yesssss! Gimmmmmeeee your meat! Pictures!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Yes!!!! Get that blue membrane off! Hell yeah. I had to teach my man that. He assumed our butcher did it. I took a look and was like nope.

• Like Like x 3
  9. That's cool you got to learn from your grandmother and on a split drum barrel grill. I never knew about removing the membrane until I seen it on Primal Grill with Steven Raichlen. I still can't afford most of the cuts he uses. I do want to retry some ribs. Just not sure what ones to purchase.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Absolutely! Especially when smoking them. That membrane acts like a barrier to smoke flavor.

Do you get any good bbq where you're at? Is the approach pretty much the same? Good sauces there?

Im a sauce lover! Honey sweet with alot of spice
    I get my when they randomly go on sale. Spare ribs are definitely the cheaper way to go and I can get alot more meat by doing the trim work myself. If I have a choice though, baby backs are the way to go.

• Like Like x 3
  11. No, the beef they grow here is shit and the pigs seem about the same. Google Belgium blue. No fat. They got it in their head to exploit the gene that makes huge muscles. They forgot that fat adds flavor so the meat here is tasteless. I have to special order and pay a fuck load for it. Now with brexit good meat is harder to come but.

I mean you can only do so much chicken...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I'll be on the look out for the next sale then. I'm growing Tabasco,Jalapeno and Hungarian wax peppers this year for salsa and sauces.
    That sucks about all those lean cuts. Can you treat it like wild game and wrap it with fatty bacon? Or maybe inject those cuts with warmed bacon fat. Darn it, now I want a BLT...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lol it's just not worth it. Rather save the money and get real meat.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I know exact what you mean. I get depressed just thinking about another baked chicken dish in those house lol. Baked, bbq, rotisserie, grilled, beer canned...hell even fried. I get burnt out lol. Definitely a 1st world problem so I don't complain too loud lol.

That's crazy about the pork in your area! I just assumed that part of the world had an affinity for pork in a more refined European gourmet kind of way? A pig without fat is like a chicken with no drum sticks!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I don't know wtf. They figured out this gene and all their animals look like they on steroids. Sheep, pigs, cows, horses it crazy.

• Like Like x 3
  16. We just need get some of the Japanese black cattle, feed them beer and massage them for a few years and then we'll be set for awhile. Or pay the $300.00 a pound for Kobe beef. That's one thing I will likely never taste.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Here's the Red Wattle hog my brother is raising this season. I care for this guy when he is on vacation and in return I'll get a share of the processed hog. He's only around 125 pounds right now. DSCN0798.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  18. We did up a bbq last night!

We did a dry rub for the pork ribs. In the first picture.

I made a honey, rosemary and thyme marinade for rabbit. Grill, back, and it's front. For it's legs we did salt and pepper. As i have only had rabbit in stew i have been wanting to see how it was grilled. I was not disappointed in either of these. My man had never done it either and loved it.

The whole plate with a little bacon wrapped on a stick.

Followed by the long spicy sausage. Regular bbq sausage and more honey rabbit with grilled garlic bread. Of course garlic paprika corn!

For dessert we had eclairs! Mine was an apple Carmel and my husband had a lemon meringue.

I hope you all enjoy have a great day! IMG_20210602_175921.jpg IMG_20210602_180241_001.jpg IMG_20210602_175935.jpg IMG_20210602_180013.jpg IMG_20210602_183027.jpg IMG_20210602_183627.jpg IMG_20210602_184725.jpg IMG_20210602_185414.jpg IMG_20210602_210339.jpg IMG_20210602_210454.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. Wow... I love everything you posted. That marinade sounds great I may try it on some chicken. Unless I shoot a rabbit out back, they are harder to source in my area. Mmmm, that coating on the rabbit I just can't get over. It just looks like a candy apple.And bacon on a stick,you're killing me. I even love the sausages. I'd need a fork truck to move me around if I was your neighbor. The corn sounds interesting with paprika and garlic as well. Awesome post @Heavn. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

• Like Like x 3
  20. ️ thank you. It was a lovely meal. Really enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1