smart guy

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by bigtony1498, Nov 16, 2011.

1. ok i want to ask someone with some sort of a knowledge of science or just a good opinion. I'm one of the people that use water bottles to keep my rez cool,so i was wondering what would you guys think if i put salt or sugar in the water bottles before freezing will it make the water in the bottles last even longer before melting? I was just curious of what could slow the process of the melting down so fast or just do the obvious thing add more bottles. My water gets up to 75 or 78 sometimes but i wanted to get it down to 70 or 68 which is the ideal temp .But so far i'm not having any problems so far, i just want to be in the safe zone.Because those dam chillers are too dam expensive for my budget.

2. IMO even if they did help it would be such a small difference it wouldn't be worth it.

Is just have backups and backups to my backups. Get a cycle going.kill 2 birds with one stone if you know what I mean

3. #3 ohspyro89, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
    I did a tiny bit of research, and with saturated water with salt (which means no more can be dissolved) the temperature can reach -68 degrees.

Sounds awesome, but who in the hell has a freezer that can freeze stuff that low?

Another thing you can do, which I've done, is use a small refrigerator for a chiller. I removed the door and replaced it with a flat piece of construction styrofoam, the pink stuff. Then all I did was put anther small bucket, and pump into the refrigerator, and ran the hoses through the styro. Basically, the pump would pump water out of the top of the bucket into the top of my DWC. Then, there was a hose that went to each of the bottoms of the DWC and bucket. It worked fairly well, kept my reservoir temps below 70 most of the time when it was needed. Also, if you have anything that you can stick into the bucket in the frig to work as a heat sink, do it. I actually through some bottles into mine that were full of water and it helped pretty well.

4. hey ohspyro89 could you draw a picture of that setup you are talking about or show me what you mean?

5. hey i found a water chiller for 125 do you guys think this is a bargain to buy? it says High quality, durable,completely enclosed with digital control and titanium heat exchanger.
    Water flow 500gph minimum/800gph maximum
    Hose connections 1/2" or 5/8"
    12'L x 12" W x 13.5" H db rating 38 10 degree cooling up to 80 gallons 30 degree cooling up to 45 gallons.

Attached Files:

6. Where did you find this and do they have anymore ?

7. [quote name='"bigtony1498"']hey i found a water chiller for 125 do you guys think this is a bargain to buy? it says High quality, durable,completely enclosed with digital control and titanium heat exchanger.
    Water flow 500gph minimum/800gph maximum
    Hose connections 1/2" or 5/8"
    12'L x 12" W x 13.5" H db rating 38 10 degree cooling up to 80 gallons 30 degree cooling up to 45 gallons.[/quote]

Link or it never happen

8. As to your freezing question: you can put salt in the water and it will make it freeze at a lower temperature but I don't think it will effect how temperature is transferred to the reservoir. The salty, less frozen bottle will not be any colder than one without salt that's been in the freezer for just as long.

9. its ok now i have bought the chiller i posted from craiglist for that 125 price .Now i will move on to the next hurdle in my quest to grow . But i do want to know how i would hook it into my system from budslingers rdwc setup that would help me out alot

10. first you need to find the instruction booklet online... so figure that part out

read the directions... every chiller needs a different sized pump to maximize the effectiveness of the chiller... if the water moves too fast the chiller can't chill... if it moves too slowly it will freeze like a rock... so its important to know the minimum and maximum pump size requirements

then its simple.. just run the to and from lines from the controller... you can run it to the lid or put bulkhead fittings/push fittings down low... my personal preference is threw the side of the controller using push fittings, but above the water level... I like to see the water falling into the controller to see water movement

11. thanks for the info !!

12. ok just read a couple of posts back and i give the info on the water chiller i think its from 500 up to 600 max so you think anywhere in that range i should be ok ? i just want to be cool ha ha !!! get it .So i should make 2 more holes in my rez more or less thru the top for an outlet and a return from the chiller and i should be ok then. I was gonna use those grommets i used on the bottom of my rez that budslinger uses because i know they are really water proof and bitch to push the hoses thru i had to use dish soap

13. and please don't think I'm calling anyone stupid on here from the way my question was worded (smart guy) because what i meant by that was someone on here might have some sort of a science background is the reason i said it like that. I asked that question on my other site garden secure and everyone kinda got heated from me asking like that. I just wanted to put that out there

14. [quote name='"bigtony1498"']and please don't think I'm calling anyone stupid on here from the way my question was worded (smart guy) because what i meant by that was someone on here might have some sort of a science background is the reason i said it like that. I asked that question on my other site garden secure and everyone kinda got heated from me asking like that. I just wanted to put that out there[/quote]

That would of probably been a good indication to change the title IMHO.