small space big light!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by candy man uk420, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Hi all.

Been growing for a few years now and have acumelated alot of grow gear but all on the big side. Im just half way through a 4 plant 400w dr120 grow but when that ends il have to scale down operations for space reasons.:(

So never done any small grow always had dr120/dr240. long story short goin in attick. dr60 (will only just fit) im want to run my 400w hps in it with 5"ruck and cf for extraction to out side. would that deal with heat and would 100w per a sq ft be over kill or magic lol.

cheers in advance for feedback.

2. It will be magic I have a 400w hps/mh grow in a 4ft wide by 6ft tall and 2.5 deep. And my temps sit at about 75 average. I use a 400cfm exhaust fan with a speed controller so I can dial in the temps.

3. It will not be magic. It will be a pain in your ass to deal with.

Honestly, for a 2x2, just get a 250w and save yourself the headache. Attic grows are a pain in the ass on their own because of temperature fluctuations. A 250w will more than sufficiently light that area.

A 400w in that area is probably going to require a 6" inline fan dedicated to the cool tube, and a 4" fan and carbon filter for venting the cab. And even then the radiant heat is going to be ridiculous.

4. I use one 6 inch for filter and cool tube with no booster fans and works amazing.

5. In a space more than twice as large as his.

6. so your telling me a 600 hps would be hard to manage in a 2.7x2.7x5 tent? becuz I'm bought to buy one for my tent D:

7. Eh, not will be. Could be. A lot of people run 600's in 3x3's. I personally prefer 400's for 3x3's. Too many variables - I had trouble cooling a 400w in a 2x3 a while back. With a 6" vortex AND a 4" vortex.

I look at it in terms of efficiency. a 600w will not give you 200w worth of bud more than a 400w, this isn't because the 600 is not capable of it, but because the 600w is capable of lighting a bigger area.

I did a test a while back with 600's and 1000's in a 4x4 tent. One would assume that the 1000w would yield quite a bit more when grown from clones of the same mother plant. Yes, the 1000w did yield more (a bit over an oz) but that's 400w of energy we're talking about. I could put a 400w in another tent, pay the same amount in electricity, and get a half lb as opposed to an oz.

I've never run a 1000w in a 4x4 since. Never ran a 600w in a 3x3 since then either, for the same reason.

But yes, a 600w will give you denser nugs than a 400w in there.

8. Yh i fort 400w would be over kill. im just going to finish my current grow. Then buy a digi 250w hps and ds60 tent and stick it in the bedroom were i can control the temps. Plus with a 180m3/hr CF setup temps will be no drama. Check me diary out lol. Cheers for the help tho every one . 250w hps advice is gd advice .

Cheers