SMALL micro cab setup decisions, advice plz!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by MNPN, Jan 10, 2010.

1. So I have a set of delimmas for my first grow and would just like some advice. Im setting up a stealth micro cab to grow 2 lowryder plants in one side of my desk. dimensions are 18x10x26. I really want to try to pack as much punch out of it as possible but my biggest impediment is height. Originally I wanted to go with a small hps bulb for good yeilds but I just dont know how that will work in such a short space b/c of burning plants. The only way I can imagine it working is w/ cooltube hooked up to a 4" 100-150cfm inline fan and I feel I would still have issues as plants would be 3-4" from light at best. plz correct me if I am wrong. LED would be nice but price is high and really no one seems to use these or know much about them, seems extravagant and risky for my first grow. It seems like Im going to go the CFL route:(, concentrate on stealth and upgrade lights if possible later when funds/ingenuity allows.
    I need this thing to be damn near silent and not have any smell issues. It seems like the only way to accomplish this is with a commericial carbon filter($$) and the only way to run one of those effectively is with inline fan($$ if I want it to be super quiet). 4" is kinda big for my setup, wish they made those smaller.
    any advice or ideas on general setup of very small grow:confused:? do you think 150w hps could work? LEDs worth looking into? are there cheaper (or smaller) reliable alternatives for venting+smell that I'm not considering? Im just not sure PC fans and homemade filter will cut it. Thanks, will post pics once I get this thing started.

2. you could make it work but is there any reason you cant just upgrade to a small grow tent? say something 16"x16"x48". you could fit 2-4 lowryders in there and an hps with much more ease. you could make the desk thing work but in the end it would be much hassle. pc grow?

3. I'm pretty set on using this cab, I dont really have the option of a grow tent. I've also decided for sure on using CFLs at least for this grow. Still trying to figure out venting and smell, any suggestions? It seems like there's no comfortable medium between a badass 4" inline fan and PC fans, espescially if noise is a big issue.

4. unfortunately inlines and pc fans are about all there are. squirrel cages are another but there often bigger than inlines. i would suggest ionizers or ona gel for odor and a pc fan is probably the best option, wire it to a 110v plug, and cut a whole in your desk for the exhaust(or rig it up somehow). CFL's can be rigged up pretty easily.

5. I used this fan with this carbon filter with good results. I also had 2 3 inch passive intake holes if that helps your planning any.

6. K. Thanks. definately considering the PC fan and diy filter.