Small greenhouse to start plants

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by TwistedPuppy, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Hey blades,

Will be making a small greenhouse to get my plants started. Will use it for a couple weeks before planting them fully outside. Thinking of something small like 5 x 5 feet, 1.5-2 feet high.

Couple questions...

First, how exactly does a greenhouse work? I understand it traps heat, but how does that help once it becomes night?

What shall I do about ventilation? And if a greenhouse is ventilated, isn't that sort of defeating the purpose of trapping the heat?

What if I don't have it ventilated, but visit every day and open it for a few minutes to give it fresh air?

2. i built a mini green house for seedlings that are to small to be just in the ground, its 1ft by 3ft and 1ft high, i took a 2ft by 3ft screen(squares are 1in by 2in) and curved it into a half circle and wraped this thick plastic sheet that was twice as long as it, i then taped and wraped one end of plastic to close it off so no humidity or hot air escapes, on the other end i left it loose so it is easy to get the the plants, bassicly it doesnt do much at night besides keep animals and bugs out kinda but i think it helps them grow better than just in the open, and for vents i dont think you need one as long as you open it every so often, maybe cut a few slits in it.

3. Thank you for the reply:smoke:

Would a small greenhouse help the plants survive frost or would it not make a difference?

4. im sure it would help keep frost off the plants and if you put a few big black garbage bags on the ground first and maybe a cheap wool blanket under those itll warm it up more, i wish i could start growing now but theres half a foot of snow still on the ground

5. Never thought of the black garbage bags...that's a good idea. Someone in another thread suggested I cut the bottom off milk jugs and put them over my plants as well. I have plenty of 2 litre coke/pepsi bottles so I was thinking of using them. Do you do this or do you just use the greenhouse only?

6. what i do is use clear heavy duty garbage bags with some stakes around them to keep it off the plants then leave the bag up off the ground a bit for ventalation and zip tie the bag to the stakes legit ha and cheap.