Slug deterrent. and some questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by phishhead17, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Hey everyone. I started a little late, about 2 weeks ago or so. I have a couple questions. Only 2 out of 4 seedlings have survived (I wasn't expecting a largescale grow). Both have their first leaf set forming well, and the second leaf set of the older is already visible. They are about 2 inches tall or so. I found that sawdust is a good slug deterrent. I just sprinkled a layer on the soil around the edges of my 8" pots. Note: If you do use sawdust as a means to keep the slugs away, DO NOT USE THE DUST FROM PRESSURE TREATED WOOD. It contains a chromium compound that is poisonous. Pressure treated lumber is considered "green wood." It is greenish in tint.

Because I only have 2 little sprouts right now, I really want to have both of them by the time it comes to harvest. I don't want the largest plants in the world. Yield isn't so important to me, but I'd like to have the best possible end product. Do you think a plant can grow decently, to a height of about 2-3 feet, in a pot this size?

I'm trying to come up with fence to avoid deer/rabbit problems. I'm thinking about pyramiding 4 sticks and wrapping fishing line around it. More camoflauge than regular fencing material and very little sunlight exposure loss. What do you think? Any other tips so I can really fight hard to keep my plants alive and well all summer?

Peace

2. Use chemicals against slugs and also a thick ring of ashes, they shoud be fine.

3. Sand phishead. A handfull of sand around the plant means that no snail or slug can ever cross it. it sticks to their mucousy little bodies and kills them. they wont cross it.

4. Sluggo works wonders...

5. slugs cannot cross copper. ;)

6. have you got a link? I'm not finding much :eek:

7. HA HA I didn't know it was just copper. I knew they wouldn't cross it but had never seen these. Makes me wonder if the copper chore boy scrubbers would work?

oh and + rep for info ;)

8. Copper, huh?!? Did not know that. If I were to take a length of, say, 14ga copper wire and strip off the insulation then shape it into a big ring and lay that on the ground around the plant, would that be enough to deter slugs?

9. You might be able to deter some slugs by attracting them somewhere else. I know from experience that taking a can of beer and cutting it in half, buried in some soil flush so they can crawl in and it will attract and kill a lot of slugs and it solved my problems for the summer, maybe see if they like that more than your plants. I guess it could backfire on you though and just introduce more slugs into your area though who knows.

10. You could try it but I would use more than one ring. ;)

11. Good point. I just thought of something else. What if I took a copper pipe and cut a 1 inch, or so, piece off it to make a ring then put that around my plant and shoved it into the ground a little so the buggers couldn't get under it? Alternatively, I could fashion a ring out of copper flashing and do the same thing.

12. if you have access to copper flashing that's what I would use. I would do a 2" strip and put about a 1/2" in the ground.. :smoke:

13. The flashing isn't a problem. I can't get a lot of it but enough to make a couple rings wouldn't be a problem. Would putting down some diatomaceous earth around the plants in combination with the copper be good as well?

14. If you have some extra tuna fish cans laying around cut out the bottom and put them around your plant(s). Although the other methods probably work just as well.

Good luck to you and your harvest

15. Diatomaceous earth will help until it gets wet, then it just turns to cake. In it's dry form it is quite irritating to tissues, including human skin.

16. really? how reliable is the sand method ch? never heard of this one before but it seems like the most organic approach to voiding the slugs

17. Anybody ever use Vaseline ?
    I herd you put a little on the stems ?