Slow Growth and cupped leaves on young Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by muddygator, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Strain: Nirvana NL
    Medium: coco hempy
    Lights: started with cfl now under 400w MH w/ cool tube
    Temps: 76-83
    Nutrients: Botanicare PBP for Soil and Coco, Liquid Karma, Cal-Mag Plus
    Duration: 17 Days since germ
    Ventilation: passive intake and Stanley blower pulling across the cooltube and exhausted out the top.

Hey everyone i germinated 2 Nirvana Northern lights feminized in Burpee coco pellets. they sprouted after about 36 hours in the germ box under 4 23W 6500K cfl's. once roots began to grow out the pellets they were transplanted into 5 gallon hempy buckets of 80/20 coco/perlite. been watering about every other day or when the coco is dry in a 4 inch radius around the plants because they wont even be close to the res yet. PH has been around 6 (GH liquid ph tester shows about pee yellow). I began feeding after both plants had shown their first 3 blade leafs of just 2ml/gal of Liquid Karma. next was 1 feeding of 5ml/gal grow and 2ml/gal liquid karma. 3rd feeding before flush was the same as the second.

I had been lowering the light a couple notches each day and began seeing issues after it had been 14 inches from the plants for several days. Temps were still below 83. began to see the leaves roll up and raised the light to 20 inches and next watered with Distilled water ph'ed to 6 with 2ml cal mag. Hopefully it was the light but could it be something else? anything i should do?

These grew very slow as seedlings as you can see. the healthy plant just took off growing this week after feeding schedule began.

Plant 1
    [​IMG]
    Plant 2
    [​IMG]

2. looks like heat damage.
    For seedlings I try to keep the light 2-3 feet away, and slowly lower it down. Wait until you see growth, that tells you the plant is getting a root system. If they don't have enough of a root system to supply water, the leaves will try to minimize transpiration by deforming, right before they start to dry out.

3. ok ill jack the lights up a little more, is this caught early enough to fix itself? should i be watering every day still since they are not touching the res?

4. They'll be fine.. those leaves will never look good, but new sets should be fine. I don't know about watering for your growing medium, check the coco forum.