slime on my roots

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by zoomzoomfan, May 13, 2009.

1. I, growing hydro and 2 of my plants look like they have slime on them.WHAT IS IT AND WHAT CAN I DO

2. Could be a lot of things. No one can even venture a guess with the info you have provided. What kind of hydro setup? Are these roots submerged. What color is the slime? What color are the roots? What type of nutes and supplements are you using? Can you post pics?

3. I,m gowing in dwc they are submerged, the slime is clear the roots are whitei,m using general hydroponics maxibloom with a micro additive

4. Why are you using a micro additive with an all-in-one like maxibloom? Were you having deficiencies? How do your plants look? Do they look healthy? I have never used maxibloom, so maybe someone who has can chime in. Is the slime thick? Is there a smell to the slime/roots? White roots are a sign of health, so if you aren't experiencing any other problems other than seeing this, I would...do a reservoir change, flush the root system in between reservoirs, and keep doing whatever you are doing. Unless this slime seems to be causing problems to your plants, just keep going until harvest.

5. my plants look healthy no funny smells or anything else odd other than the slime.Am i not supposed to use an additive with maxibloom,I figured all it could do is help,if not please let me know .Thanks for your help it is much appreciated:smoking:

6. Maxibloom is designed to be complete in primary, secondary and micro nutrients. You should not need to use another nutrient (micro or otherwise) to get the desired results. If you do use additives with a "complete" nutrient you are risking nutrient toxicities and nutrient lockout. I recommend you use the maxibloom as it was intended to be used, alone, and see if this clears up your slime issue. You say the plants look healthy and are growing good, so be careful and don't make too many changes at once. I'd hate to clear up the slime problem only to start having problems in the foliage.

7. thanks for all the info you're the man.Ive spent alot of money on my setup,I've been burning for over 25 years these plants are pretty important to me.By the way they are femanized gigabud from G-13

8. #8 john, May 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2009

Zoom, what you've got is algae, your hydro system is not light proof, light is getting to your nutrient solution. You need to fix this problem before you do any thing.
    Hopefully you aren't using organic nutrients, if you aren't, buy some H2O2 (hydro peroxide), try and buy industrial strength, the crap you get in the hydro store is very low percent proof. I buy my from a food grade cleaning store 35%, i add it to my nutrient solution every 4 or 5 day to prevent algae and pathogens. You can buy 17.5 % stuff in some hardware stores, it is also good. H2O2 eats organic matter but will not harm your roots, it will eat that algae and root rot and at the same time oxygenate you solution.
    I add 1.5mL per litre of nutrient solution (before pH adjustment). You do the calculation with the H2O2 % that you buy. This will take care of you problem 100%.

9. Yea man you have algea. If your using rockwool it will show up if the rockwool cube arent completely covered. The algea doesnt affect the plants growth, but when the algea dies it turns black and can atrack fungus.

10. i just had the same problem recently....i emptied all my buckets and washed them with soap to get the algae off, then i put bleach water in and bubbled for and hour then emptied it and put fresh water and the correct amount of h2o2. let the h2o2 bubble in your bucket for an hour before adding any nutes and ph adjustment....

as i was cleaning the buckets i had a spare dwc bucket running with water and h202, and i let all my plants sit in it to clean up the roots and kill some of the algae before going in it bucket again.....

so far they are looking better..... cheers.

11. You would have to have a light leak, did you fix it? If you didn't the algae will come back. Algae needs light, nutrient and oxygen to live, if you cut of one of those, the algae cant survive. Obviously you can cut of the nutes and oxygen, so the light is the key.