Slight problem

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by GrapeNut, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Hello everyone, this will be one of my very first grows. The plant is greenhouse seeds white widow feminized. Now I started the plant off in a pot with a mix of vermiculite, coco fiber, and perlite. After it started to get somewhat large, I added earthworm castings and moved it to a larger pot. During the entire vegetative grow it received light from an 85-watt CFL, when being switched to flowering I put it under a 150 watt HPS. A few weeks ago, I made a purchase of Advanced Nutrients PH perfect Grow, Micro and Bloom; the person I got them from on eBay also included Carboload, Bud candy, and Organic B1. The great thing about this was I got it all for $35, which I think was quite the steal. The reason I just purchased these nutrients is that I am currently starting a second grow of another white widow and super lemon haze in a DWC and thought might as well take advantage of them by using them to finish up this grow. I currently water the plant every 2-3 days until I get about 20% run-off, a few days after I began adding the nutrients I've noticed the buds starting to take on significant mass.
    She is currently about to be 6 weeks into flowering however I have noticed something slightly strange occurring on the bud sites. First off, I have noticed that the tops of the two tallest sites have begun to take on new growth and second the new leaves that are forming from them seem to be very strange looking, some of them also are curling slightly and canoeing. The ambient temperature in the room is around 76 degrees.

The pictures I have included are of the bud site in question, some of them are spaced around a week apart.

Attached Files:

2. Here are more pictures of the plant.

Attached Files:

3. Here are some new pictures that I just took.

The first 2 are from the largest bud site that appears to have some new vegetative growth from the top

The next 3 are from the second largest bud site that seems to have the same problem that the largest one has

The last 3 are from other bud sites around the plant

Attached Files:

4. Damn, I didn't even notice that forum, is there anyway this thread could be moved there? The lights around 7 inches from the top, Im not sure of the PH or EC since I don't currently have a meter.

5. Everything looks fine to me...Ibet you had early trichome development right? The leaves curl from the large amount of trichomes. Congratulations :)

6. 7 inches could be a little close but then again I've only used 400+watt hps bulbs for all my grows so I don't know how hot that 150watt gets

Also do u have fans going? That combats the heat very efficiently

7. Ok thanks, My trichomes did begin to develop early, I was just curious as to why I was getting new growth from the tops of my bud sites a little more than halfway through flowering.

8. Ive read and watched jorge cervantes's book and videos and he said if i can put my hand around where the top of the plants are from the light and it didn't feel too warm everything was fine. So when I do that I barely notice any heat. I have a large computer fan hanging around the top of the plant.

9. Then you should be fine your hand is a great way to test the heat and keep up the good work shes lookin real nice

10. No they dont.

11. Take a look at my recent chop, same thing o_O...and I had trichome production two weeks into flower o_O

12. So what? Everybody does. It's what they do at that stage of thier life.

I'm not trying to be an ass but curling leaves is NOT related to trichome production.

J

13. Do you think the leaves are curling due to heat stress, thus more trichs are produced as a way to prevent sweating on the individual leaf?

Btw, I'm not a whiny bitch, its all groovy to disagree :) Gets more ideas out there

14. Great answer.

I really just think that different strains might have something to do with it too. Sativas can have very curly leaves. Just going into flowering can make for some funky leaves. Heat stress can definitely do it too - there's lots of variables.

Many strains start producing trichomes at week 2. I don't think that this makes leaves curl tho. Curious - which strain was curling on you? Were they curling down?

J

15. Your buds are foxtailing its not a bad thing its when instead of bunchimg calyxs they grow on top of each other i would check your trichs cuz when my buds foxtail there usually ripe. Good looking plant :)

16. I agree on the fox tailing/ripeness thing.

Nice.

17. Ive been checking them every 3 days with my 30 power handheld microscope, they still all range from clear to very slightly cloudy.

18. #20 GrapeNut, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012
    Guys i think i have a big problem and im worried now. During my daily inspection of the buds through my microscope I noticed a spot that looked very fuzzy and it reminded me of the pictures of spider mite webs but upon pulling back the bud and looking closer it was more cottony and mushy when I pressed upon it. I now believe that it is mold. I included a picture (I know the quality is bad but it was the best I could do) I am very worried for the rest of the plant and I don't know what I should do. It as about 7 and a half weeks into flowering and most of the trichomes are cloudy or clear with very very few amber ones. Please advise.

Attached Files: