Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Sleeping problems

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by rudolph, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Hey everyone.

I was wondering if a doctor in CA would approve a MMJ card for me. I have terrible sleep patterns. I can fall asleep just fine, but I find myself waking up every couple of hours. This is almost on a daily basis.

I sleep at work, and after I get off work. I'm always tired. My friends joke and tell me I have aids LOL.

The only thing is that I feel there is something wrong with me asking for a MMJ card. Am I being modest?

What do you guys think?

2. Hell yes you would qualify, im in Canada, but i also have incredible insomnia, or i did, before i started using bud.

I could NEVER get to sleep before 4 am, i would lie down at a very early time, like 10 pm, read, turn off all lights and stimulating media, take a high dose of Melatonin, nothing mattered, i'd be awake until at least 4 am.

Now i always set aside a portion of my bud for use at night before i go to bed. 1 joint and i'm out like a light:smoke:

Bud has to be the best insomia cure in history.

Its "prescribed"(i use the term loosely, because thats not what doctors do to give you weed) for insomnia quite a bit from what i've read, actually.

3. #3 rudolph, Feb 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
    The only time I've ever went to a doctor for help was when I had pneumonia. I just naturally felt like a piece of crap asking for a MMJ card. Now maybe I wont.

Thank you.

4. You will need to get your condition documented before you can get a MMJ recommendation. You won't be able to just walk into a doctor's office and claim insomnia.

5. I agree with the above posters that you have to be assessed by a regular doc first. There are things to discuss, such as sleep hygiene (is your bed used just for sleep, or do you hang out in your bed watching tv, reading, etc., do you use caffeine too close to bedtime, or alcohol, etc., how much exercise do you get, is your room too hot, or cold). Is it possible you have sleep apnea? All these things need to be discussed with a regular doc, first.
    Then you should allow your doc to prescribe you a sleep med. Whether or not you fill the prescription or not, is up to you. But that prescription would be evidence that you may have been diagnosed with sleep problems, and that script can then be taken to a cannabis doc.

6. #6 DRfacepunch, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023

7. #7 abilities, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
    i use marijuana illegaly, recreationally but also medicinally. i purchased a vaporizer because i'm an asthmatic (which it helps sometimes, but has hurt sometimes). but it helps me get to sleep cause i have DSPS, so when its getting late at night and im just starting to get a little tired, which doesnt really happen til like 10/1030, i toke and then im put in a state where i can pass out earlier, and then wake up on time.

i suggest seeing a doctor, though, and seeing if you can be given a diagnosis. from there you can probably obtain a card. i talked to my doctor and have been prescribed clonazepan for sleep as well, and 2 or 3 mgs of it with a bowl from the vap can put me to sleep much easier.

8. #8 DRfacepunch, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023