sleep paralysis

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by pieman615, Mar 22, 2009.

1. hey everyone :)

ill tell you about my experience i was in bed i woke up, decided to relax so i rested then slowly fell asleep. Thing is i started to hear static and tryed to move i was paralisyed could not move or talk or scream i was bloody scared. everything started to get darker (this was day time) i rememberd i read about this paralysis thing on the internet so i just closed my eyes (only thing i could do) and relaxed it slowly went away. i tell you guys its the worst thing someone can go through if they dont know what it is.

anyone else have this happend to them once?

2. I have experienced this quite frequently. It first started happening to me in college (freshman year) when I would take naps after my classes. I would be conscious, laying face down, and there was this sensation that somebody was sitting on my back suffocating me. It was frightening to say the least. It seemed like it would happen a couple of times a week for a few weeks, but then it became much less frequent.

It started happening to me again as a sophomore, but the suffocating feeling was replaced by a feeling that somebody/something was sitting right next to me. Again, this seemed to happen frequently over a short period of time a then just stop.

Since then, I would say that I have this occur 2-3 times a year. I am much more aware of what is happening now and I have come to enjoy it as the experiences just feel strange and not so frightening.

3. This morning as I was waking up I found myself in a (hazy) movie theater, and I was aware and even able to control what I was seeing, but it kept going forward, like a cohesive place. I opened my eyes for a few seconds and saw a full blown hallucination of some object, it disappeared really quickly because I recognized shapes and colors of my room and labeled it as a hallucination. Right before shutting my eyes some letters appeared on the wall and I was back to the dream of being in a movie theater with very few people in it. I felt like my body was paralyzed. A few moments later I willed myself to stretch, my body woke up and I was conscious and awake.

4. its called lucid dreaming , happens when u r able to control ur dreams
    and about the hallucinations is coz when u r sleeping u mind creates DMT witch is that liquid tha makes u dream..probaply ur mind produced a bit more maby:p

5. i know exactly what you mean and how frightening it can be. in my culture, it's very common and labeled as a type of paranormal experience which is an oxymoron but i didnt make up the rules. anyways it's hard to explain but it happens to me very often and at first i was terrified but now i just enjoy the feeling and try to ignore the creepyass nightmares that i have along with it.

6. no actually your wrong lucid dreaming is very different. this is when u wake up or something like that and your body has not awoken (paralyzed) from its REM sleep thats when all your dreams come

7. i used to get SP all the time. it usually happens when i take naps during the day, i am scared of taking naps lol. What freaks me out is that when it happens it feels like i am not breathing like i do when i am awake. i cant control my breathing so i feel like i am not getting enough air. you can try a trick that i use, try moving a finger on your hand or a toe. i usually snap out of it and fall asleep normally.

also, have you heard of OBE? (out of body experience) i would experiment with that idea because i would usually hear a buzzing. Thats another subject though.

8. if you hear the buzzing then concentrate on it while simultaneously visualizing your non physical body/astral body coming out and you can go anywhere you want and fly around and shit real scary/fun times

9. Holy shit man , I'm suprised of what you said . Your trick , of moving a finger or a toe , that's exactly what I do when I have them !

It's like I will wake up from a nap , and once I open my eyes , I cannot move my body at all . I will start trying to move my fingers or toes , and after a few seconds I will slowly be able to move my whole body . Damn that crap is scary .

The first time it happened to me I thought I had gone fully paralyzed or something . All you can do is lay there and stair straight ahead . You can try to talk and try to move but it just doesn't work . What causes this ? And is this common ? And why does it seem to happen during daytime naps and not during a normal deep sleep ? Weird stuff , I thought I was the only one .

10. hey i really wanna do an obe but im scared because there are things out there that can do fucked up shit to you and im scared of that i like myself being not possed by some demon :D
    but i will try what yous said

11. #11 DMG_KUSH, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
    It happens during REM sleep so that you won't act out any actions that happen in your dreams, which would turn out disastrous.

some have suggested that it may be linked to post-synaptic inhibition of motor nuerons in the ponsbrain. In particular, low levels of melatonin may stop the depolarization current in the nerves, which prevents the stimulation of the muscles, to prevent the body from enacting the dream activity (e.g. preventing a sleeper from flailing his legs when dreaming about running).

Possible causes:

• Sleeping in a face upwards or supine position
    • Irregular sleeping schedules; naps, sleeping in, sleep deprevation
    • Increased stress
    • Sudden environmental/lifestyle changes
    • Inducting lucid dreams that immediately precede the episode.

I've gotten them alot recently because i have been trying to lucid dream and it usually always happens before, scared me at first but I got used to it and excited for when they happens because then it means dream control!

12. geez imagine if somehow everyone in the world moved in real life accourding to their dreams for one night :|

well if anyone wanted to know i had a lucid dream right before the paralysis when i realized i was dreaming i woke up 10 secs after and i was paralyzed :|

13. It's me... I'm a succubus. Mwahahahaha

14. this sounds badass! i wish it would happen to me.
    i know i hate it whenever im dreaming, of someone, and we're talking or doing something, and in the dream i talk, and all of a sudden i realize im dreaming then i wake up
    pissses me off. :(

15. When you realize your are dreaming, picture yourself spinning in circles, it engages a deeper REM and keeps you asleep. Also rubbing your palms together works, not sure how though.

16. Just remember that wahtever thoughts you have, you will see. Your imagination is the steering wheel. You start thinking "ut oh I hope I dont run into any demons" your mind will think "DEMONS" and instantly make them come to you.

You are in complete control, so much control that you can forget you're in control

spinning circs works crazy well. Also looking at your hands is good.

17. First off , thanks for your answer to my questions above , that's some very interesting stuff . It makes sense though , about your body having to stop motor function so that you don't physically act out your dreams .

I have had a few lucid dreams also ( where you're aware that you're dreaming ) , and man I wish I could control those . Usually when I have them , I decide it would be fun to fly ! In my lucid dreams I flap my arms like a bird and I can fly around in the sky . Really , if you could master lucid dreaming , you could do some incredible stuff (pretty much anything) .

18. #18 pieman615, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
    well i lead to believe that astral projection which is what were talking about is a higher state of life which is what i believe to be a certain part that happens when we die it is our higher vibrational frequency or something.
    Which explains the static and vibrations you get when paralyzed or attempting astral

19. hey well i am currently trying to learn lucid dreaming would u like some links to teach you how all you need to do is as soon as you wake up to keep a dream journal right next to you (it sounds gay) and write in it the second you wake up. Also throughout the day you need to do reality checks doing. This will make you realize automatically in your dreams that your dreaming. tell me if you want some links maybe we can try to learn this together or something haha

20. Unfortunately I havent had any in the past year...along with no astral projections either...shit just stopped :(

but before that for like 6 years I had 4-5 fully lucid dreams per week. I got so damn good at controlling stuff. I started off having to swim in the to fly, but I learned how to Neo it. I also learned how to control my perception of time in the dream, so that usually, say my dream felt like it lasted 1 minute, I could make it last 5 minutes.

Unfortunately this was before I learned about OBE and astral projection...I could have been doing way cooler shit than just flying, using telekinesis and having sex with whoever