Sleep Paralysis - more than meets the eye?

Discussion in 'General' started by spikeystud88, Aug 11, 2010.

1. So my GF and I have been researching lucid dreaming, the astral plane, astral projecting, all that sorta stuff lately. We were discussing sleep paralysis and she sent me a link with some pretty interesting info:

* * * Before you read this, clear your mind, and open it. Be open to new ideas before you shun them, and just think about things logically. I'm not saying any of this is right or wrong, just sharing information with my blades :) * * *​

Pretty insane if you think about it. Sometimes I'll sleep for 9hrs and wake up feeling DRAINED, as if I only slept for an hour or two. Or some mornings I wake up just feeling like absolute shit. Maybe this is why?

What do you guys think?

I'm interested to see what people with sleep paralysis think about this.

Discuss!

2. i wake up in sleep paralysis alot and when it rolls over in like 30 secs i feel more awake. maybe its just me.

3. Ive experimented with lucid dreaming and stuff too. Idk about all this talk of dream vampires though.

AFAIK sleep paralysis is our bodies way of making sure we don't act out the actions of our dreams which could cause harm to us. Only the face remains unparalyzed. Some people are concious of this at random times (myself included) and I do not why, but it is annoying lol. Edit: like jayhaze said whenever i wake up from that shock of being paralyzed i usually have a lot of adrenaline and am more awake than I was before.

As far as waking up feeling drained. That can happen because you wake up deep in a REM cycle, and i dont remember the exact reasons but it throws you off and can make you wake up dizzy and without as much energy. You can get one of those iphone apps or whatever that wake you up at the end of your REM cycle.

Sleep is something that's very confusing and still open to studies. Its something everyone does but no one fully understands. Interesting stuff indeed

4. Definitely. And I dont really agree/disagree with what I posted, I just thought it was interesting.

But like you said, sleep is something that we aren't even CLOSE to understanding. Scientists have no idea WHY we dream, or what it causes and stuff. We know we need sleep for our PHYSICAL bodies, but what's the point of dreams? To pass the time (lol)?

Definitely interesting though. The more and more I read about this stuff the more and more I'm sucked in!

5. Wow. When I grow up and die, I'm going to be a psychic vampire. :devious:

6. yea the rem cycle plays a big factor to why you wake up so tired. i think cycles of 4 each being 90 minutes each and they repeat through out the night.
    you want to wake up during rem 1, i think while rem 4 is deep sleep and when u wake up during rem 4, your super tired.

7. Sometimes I think dreams are letting me see through of the eyes of a different me.

Sleep paralysis is annoying. It's uncomfortable. I have to force myself awake before I can comfortably fall back to sleep. I can even recognize it before it happens. I start having auditory hallucinations. I have a fan in my room, and the noise it makes changes when I am conscious but still in a REM cycle. I can use that to wake myself up. I will only go back to sleep when the hallucinations stop.

I experience sleep paralysis fairly often. I've even had visual hallucinations during. I once swore I could see an impish creature sitting on my desk watching me as I tried to force myself out of the paralysis.

As for the OP, I doubt it's anything like that... but who knows?

8. I usually experience sleep paralysis when I'm about to fall asleep for a nap. I'll be laying in bed or on the couch with my eyes open, fully conscious and aware of everything going on around me, but I won't be able to move my body no matter how hard I try. It usually only lasts for about 20-30 seconds, but I've had it occur multiple times in a row.
    I have no idea why this happens, but it's really frightening.

9. #9 Flemian, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
    Is this sleep paralysis???

More then a few occasions in my life I would be sleeping and then suddenly be consious but unable to move. I would know that Im awake/sleeping and can comprehend my thoughts but I try desperatly to open my eyes, Move my head, legs, arms, fingers. Anything. I even try screaming but It takes such hard work and dedication to finally get my mouth to move and any type of sound to project foward.

Is that sleep paralysis? Am I wakeing up in my mind wile still asleep and trying to mentally force my body to wake up?

Ive also noticed when falling asleep ide still be mentally aware and realize that I dont hear anything and wake up and suddenly I hear the tv again and such as If my mind was tuneing out the noise to prepair for sleep.

10. #10 1Trismegistus1, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
    Losing your "astral shell", which dies WITH the body only much slower, would not cause you to go to the lowest astral plane. Your astral body does not stay with you when you die, it stays with the body in many cases, though it disintegrates much slower than your corpse does. The lowest plane of the astral borders the earth and is where you would go if you are very materialistic in your development and cling to material possessions. A "sorceror" would likely end up there due to their use of magic for personal/material gain, and theres no way to go into the higher planes as you cannot adjust your vibration to do so, though one can come down into the lower planes from the higher.

Many times when someone is trying to contact a deceased person they are only contacting their astral shell, which holds memories, but it is not the intelligence/individuality that is the person, so it can provide nothing in terms of comforting the loved ones or anything like that. The astral body can also be immortalized so that you remain the same person through each incarnation as opposed to having new characteristics each incarnation due to the heads of the various planetary spheres that circulate, in the case of the zone girdling the earth there are 360 that change every 4 minutes. This is why astrology depends on the minute of your birth and monthly horoscopes are complete crap.

So you can count out dream vampires lol. The "dark presence" feeling comes from being dissociated from the physical body. If you've ever done coricidin/dxm or pcp/ketamine you know that kind of dark feeling that accompanies the use of dissociative drugs. It is the same thing, only much more intense as you are completely dissociated from your body in a conscious state which produces fear.

This is why I can't stand new age crap, it's just that, CRAP. It's occultism with magic hippie pixie dust sprinkled on it.

For the record, the closest to hell you'll ever get is purgatory where the soul is purged of it's karma via Cause and Effect, every action has a like reaction. Or here on earth, theres no eternal fire and brimstone.

• Like Like x 1

11. Congratulations, you have experienced sleep paralysis. :)

That's the term for it anyway.

12. got any good links that deal with this stuff? i had a friend who tought me alot and sent me alot of useful info but i don't talk to him now.

13. You seem to know your shit man. You ever astrally projected? Been looking for people on here that are into that sort of thing...thanks for the info btw.

14. Please understand I'm not a doctor but...

Actually there is some knowledge about what happens when we sleep. You may have heard of the drug called DMT (it seems to be some serious business) well there has been evidence which shows that DMT occurs naturally in our brains when we sleep and that is what causes us to 'hallucinate' and makes everything seem like reality and therefore keeps us from waking up...most of the time.
    Because we are naturally 'drugged up' so to speak, when we sleep our body tends to remain stationary.

So because DMT is making you halucinate it shows that your brain is still working and since things seem to be so real our brain is sometimes 'tricked' into pumping adrenaline if something, let say, scares you in your dreams or gives you a fright.
    This adrenaline can make you wake up, wide awake with a fright and often makes it hard to go back to sleep for a while. (think the adrenaline counter acts the DMT...not sure, as i said im not a doctor)

However this is just what i seem to remember from something I watched a while back.

15. #15 spikeystud88, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010
    Yeah, turns out we release lots of DMT when we sleep. Also, supposedly ALL of our DMT is released when we die (and that's what leads me to believe that we permanently disconnect from our PHYSICAL body and enter the astral plane after death...the amount of DMT that's released is so great that it causes a PERMANENT disconnection, instead of a temporary one, which is what you get when smoking it).

I see what you're saying, but none of this explains why it happens. We know what causes it, but why? WTF is the point of DMT?! Why is it in our body? Turns out DMT is all around us in plants, trees, animals, all over the place. But we still dont fully understand it...crazy shit indeed.

16. Careful with the DMT talk folks. As long as you guys don't go off topic with it, it should be fine. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ah my bad, I always forget about the rule change :/. Thanks for being cool! Want me to edit it out?

If not I'll be sure it doesn't go off topic :)!

18. There is not 4 rem cycles. There is 4 stages of sleep with the first 2 being light sleep and the 3rd being deeper sleep with dreaming (no REM) and 4th stage is very deep sleep, dreaming, and REM. But we go through the full cycle of these 4 stages multiple times a night. REM stage actually only lasts about 10-15 minutes so in reality even though dreams seem to last an eternity sometimes, they're actually really short. REM is needed to restore the brain to a healthy baseline mental state, kind of like a system restart on a computer to clear RAM if you will. Dreaming is supposed to be a way of the mind's natural counseling, similar to like "tripping" in that its a loss of ego and lowers your guard to help you make realizations in an objective manner. Also, it is almost impossible to wake up during REM sleep due to the fact that the sleeper is so deep in sleep that outside stimuli don't reach the brain easily aside from very loud noises, bright lights, etc.

~Source~ I'm a psychology major

19. probably best to just edit it out, a bit off topic since you're awake and not dreaming ;)

i've never experienced sleep paralysis is it horrible or just weird?

20. This should be really informative to all the people that are interested in this stuff:

Ask a guy that can Astral Project at will anything (serious) - Bodybuilding.com Forums

I read that whole thread and tried to astral project... I only got close once which was actually a week ago. I felt the waves in my body and then I realized that I'm about to astral project which woke me up..

By the way, I haven't smoked in months so it wasn't weed.