ska/punk

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Atomic_Slash, May 7, 2009.

1. anyone else out there a fan of ska/punk?
    Along the lines of Streetlight Manifesto, Less than Jake, early Homegrown ect
    I'm also a fan of punk in general (including pop-punk I don't really care what you think)
    As long as it's fast and with power chords I like it.

2. i have a pretty new thread about punk, you should search it. i love punk, but i hate the kind of ska you're talking about.

3. Ska/ punks the best, my favorite ska/punk band is goldfinger but there is a lot of good stuff

4. FUCK YEAH! Dude ska is the shit. I've had an obsession with streetlight for the past 5 years now haha. I love a ton of other ska bands too like LTJ RBF aquabats, five iron frenzy, bosstones (could go on and on) I also love bassically any punk or ska / punk mix. ANDD after many years I finally got to see streetlight with tip the van and reel big fish this winter, fucking awesome show! tip the van did a cover of "such great heights", i almost shat my pants.

...so in answer to your question: yes. I like ska. and punk.

5. I hate ska for the most part, I cant stand the trumpets.

But I do enjoy the Suicide Machines

after that im all about the crack rock steady.

6. Wow I didn't expect to get this many replies.
    But yea I used to hate ska, but then this girl got me into it.
    and I wish more people I knew were into ska, most of my friends like metal or rap.
    and the thing is I'm not really hardcore enough to be into the 80s stuff (I'll listen to it, but I was raised on bands like blink-182 so it's hard to adjust to more legit punk)
    Anyway, I'll list some of my favorite songs/cds
    LTJ- Pezcore, Losing Streak, Hello Rockview (and the song the Science of Selling Yourself Short)
    Both Streetlight albums, and the remake of Keasbey Nights
    The best part of ska for me is the basslines
    As a bassist/guitarist I love playing them.

7. Werd ska and punk ftw.

dropkicks, kennedys, DOA, addicts, exploited, rancid, OP ivy, sublime, specials, slackers, early beastie boys, black flag, mad caddies, the clash, Iggy, Lars and the bastards, leftover crack, dead boys, chocking victim, the stranglers, the pistols, UK subs, cock sparrer etc...

Don't know why I bothered to write all that out :p guess I was on a roll.

8. Bomb the Music Industry is pretty legit, although I'm not sure how ska you would consider them. A lot of their older stuff is more ska-esque.

I dig;
    get warmer
    stand there until you're sober
    unlimited breasticks, soup and salad days
    stuff that i like
    syke! life is awesome

Streetlight Manifesto is pretty ace,too.

9. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PGTmF_GKio&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Bad brains- At the Atlantis[/ame]

That is punk rock. What you're talking about, ain't punk buddy

10. #10 Budder81, May 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
    I love ska, but none of the stuff you hear on the radio... Mainstream ska sucks ass (not going to say any names, already been said).

Voodoo Glow Skulls (not really ska, but have brass instruments, and woodwind), hepcats, undercover ska, forgot the rest.

As for punk, I'll stick with Bad Religion and Misfits, the new stuff sucks, music from after 2000 is not music (to me).

Bad Brains seems pretty cool, too bad I was 1 year old when they were playing.

11. Yeah my favs are Voodoo Glow Skulls, Misfits(old) AFI(old) Thought Riot, Sick of it all, Most Precious Blood, Nerve Agents, Anti Flag, I can name a bunch of others that are also amazing but these are just my main favorites.

12. I know who the bad brains are.
    It's not my fault I have a soft spot for catchy vocals.
    (like I said in the first post as long as it has power chords and fast drums I'll like it)
    and to the guy who was talking about bomb the music industry,
    I like them too. Plus they're from around my area (LI ftw!).
    my favs by them are Bike Test 1.2.3., Stand There until your sober, and Dude get with the program.
    right now I'm listening to the flatliners.
    There more reggae influenced, but they're pretty good.
    You guys should check them out.