size of container

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by massmoker, May 16, 2011.

1. How long can I keep a plant in a 6" growers pot? What can I use as a pot if i dont have anymore? first grow be nice.

2. Well man, I personally go by the height of the plant. If the plant is 1 ft tall, use a 1 gallon pot. If the plant is 2 ft tall, use a 2 gallon pot, 3 ft tall, 3 gallon and so on. :)

3. You will want to give the plant as much root volume as possible -- you can't grow a big plant above the soil with a small root system below the soil.

Good cheap option is 5-gallon paint buckets from Lowes/Home Depot. Drill drainage holes in the bottom. Or if you have a cat you can use a big plastic kitty litter pail -- the ones designed for around 40lb of litter hold about 5 gallons as well. And since you're buying the litter anyway the bucket is free. Actually best to use two buckets per plant, an inner and an outer. Drill holes in the bottom of one (inner) and then it will drain into the outer bucket without creating a huge mess.