Situation as it pertains to using my tap water for my grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by thebombhaha, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Basically, I was told that soil is less sensitive to tap waters with high ppms, but since I'm growing in coco here I am not sure how it will react to this.

I made a post about it in another forum as well, and a guy said the nute dosage(my nutes are Canna Coco A+B) should be less in general, but he said using the tap water should work here. He says the TDS is 460 and that this is pretty high to start out with. I was told to do 1/2th the dose of nutes all throughout flowering, but another factor plays into the equation here.

A product one of my main mentors of my first run told me to buy by the name of Flower Fuel is something I'm concerned about because we don't know how the nutes+flower fuel are going to make the plants react. My plan was to see if there would be any burn, and if so, decrease the nute dosage from 1/2th the amount. However this is all an even bigger question for me because I'm trying to see if I can use my tap water here.

Bellow is a pic of my grow, and all water info. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

• TT.jpeg
      TT.jpeg
      File size:
      171.3 KB
      Views:
    • DD1.png
      DD1.png
      File size:
      73.1 KB
      Views:
    • DD2.png
      DD2.png
      File size:
      58.6 KB
      Views:
    • DD4.png
      DD4.png
      File size:
      70.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Looking good. That is some pretty hard tap water. There is special hard water nutrients out there. Filters can be surprisingly effective and not that expensive.

If you want to try to introduce a new supplement/nutrients always start it out at 1/2 dose or less and watch the plants for signs of issues. Only after a few successful feedings at half dose with no issues would I think about going above that. Most nutrient line recommended levels are quite high. I almost always feed 50-75% of recommended strength with any product.

Light and often always wins over less frequent and strong when it comes to feeding plants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I'd get one of those RO (Reverse Osmosis)machines

or even get my water in from the vending machine at your local Walmart

you can mix it 50/50 with the tap water to cut costs

but with such messed up water I'd be growing in soil ...as I do

something to consider on your next venture

good luck

4. Someone in another forum actually warned me about using filters, and even said they bought 60 plus dollars worth of them and they doubled the ppm.

5. How messed up is the water exactly, because I really can’t tell lol. I don’t know what any of this stuff means.

R/o system is out of the equation due to cost for this first run. Most likely in the future if I do continue growing with Coco.

What you suggested about the 50/50 was actually something some people in the other forum said they were doing. It seems reasonable. Reasonable enough for me to pull off, but I’m honestly stressing about the multiple time a day feeding the plants will require later on in flowering. I’m feeding once a day til runoff at the moment. Just started flowering a day ago.

6. That's why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Anyhow, you can buy a good cheap 4 stage 50 or 60 gallon RO system that will clean that 400+ water real good! Anyhow... if you are growing in coco, you really need a RO system, or buy distilled water, or get water from a better source, if your water is that bad!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. So far the only analysis I’ve gotten for my tap water is that “it’s pretty hard water”. I can put two and two together and understand that it’s not good water, but what does “hard” mean exactly?

What is cheap to you? 100 bucks? I can’t do even that right now. I was told I need to possibly purchase other kinds of nutes called hard water nutes if the combined ppm of the tap water and my current nutes are too high.

I’m fine with multiple day manual feedings. I just don’t want to damage my grow.

8. but what does “hard” mean exactly? Alkaline $5.00 ph pool strips from your 711 will test the ph...do it daily

What is cheap to you? 100 bucks? most members here are blowing a lot more on just seeds

later their is the light that cost bigtime $300 - $2000...

get your cash sorted or use the local dispensary

9. You’re telling me to get my cash sorted when you don’t even know my setup. I spent near a rack for my grow thus far, and it’s my first run at that.

I have bills to pay and I invested what I could into this first grow. Im saving my cash for products I will surely need in the future in an emergency situation. An r/o system is not something I consider essential, but it definitely makes things easier. I will surely buy one in the future if I continue growing with Coco like I said..

About the seeds, that’s myself included. I paid more than 100 for my feminized seeds. Speaking of the pH verification, I already have a tester for that. So I’m good in that department. I have the essential pH Down and Up to regulate it as well.

The whole question is about the combined ppm. @Soil2Coco and I talked about this, and I will administer 1/4th the dosage of nutes with my tap water and see how the plants react to this. Based on their reaction, I will either shift or use 50/50 r/o tap water like you advised earlier.