simple Q for rooting clones...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by eluxe65, Jul 4, 2009.

1. I hope this question is'nt too dumb,

Let's say I don't have access to to rooting hormone/gel or gyberellic(sic) acid, ans I just have SUPERTHRIVE, rockwool, and a humidifying tray.....

Would I be able to have success without the rooting hormones (gel or powder)???

I had relative success last harvest (sorry, no pics), and I need to get a move on with more cuttings, and can't get to a supplier for the next 72+ hours........can I get to work, or should I just wait???

Opinions, please.:confused:

2. As long as you change the water every few days, rooting can be as simple as putting a cutting in a glass of water. Just don't use a clear glass. Roots hate light.

3. do you have access to a air pump and a air stone if so... go to the dollar store pick up a 2 gallon dark tub with a lid, throw some distelled water in it, the stone , plug in the pump///
    Now cut round holes in the top....
    You know those floaty worm things people have in thier pools, grab one of those cut a slice off of it cut it to match the size to the hole...slice the center and stick ur clone in there...

Now you have a homemade bubbler cloner.... no hormones needed...

4. I've had clones root in papertowels. That clone stuff pretty much does all the work.

5. Thank you, my experienced 3 wise men.....

6. #6 Crucifier, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2009

Your welcome, my soon to be experienced wise man. :)

And there is never a reason to think a question might be dumb. I know there are some rude people on this forum, but you can't learn if you don't ask.

7. I fully agree,

I've learned over the past two years how to grow, and I've used both powders/gels.... I also need to be economical at this time (hence my question).
    This is my first outdoor/guerilla grow, and I knew I would gain plenty of experince by simply jumping in head first...

The two strains I have are outdoor strains. One is a bagweed/unknown strain, and the other is Purple Kush via California...my indoor grow was very minimal (forced the flowering very early to keep the stink down). I expect larger plants, and of course larger buds with going outdoors... I kept the harvest for myself (no interest in selling), and I must say I was real proud of my results.

I can't put up any pics, but maybe (if interested) I can keep a journal via this thread regarding my next 2 sets of clones (one set girls are ready for the woods, and the next set that I'm starting to root).

I expect to have problems/issues (where I plant, insects, raccoons, humans, and "The Beast"), so I figured I should put out as many girls as I can and deal with the problems as they come.
    I'm doing all I can to keep it as low-key as possible as well as being prepped for stealth, and transport back/forth from grow spots.

So that's the game plan... I hope you all had a happy/safe 4th/July....

giving thanks to all- Eluxe65:smoke:

8. UPDATE.........

The NINE CLONES I cut four days ago look great....

They're receiving a little sunlight (not direct), and they look spry and lively as if they have roots....... so glad this worked.....:D

Big props to Crucifier, Darkhosis, and BUDSLINGER

9. calling all wisemen.....
    i picked up a 40site cloner with 2" foams, pump etc.

every time i attemped(distilled h20 or with jumpstart) the stems would go all mushy before any roots developed, even the section covered by the foam..??? i was guessing the cuttings were too wet too long. but even if i misted hour on/ hour off, still did the same thing?.

I ended up rooting clones in rockwool cubes cuz i was in a hurry to check sex of my Cheese plants....but i hate it take 2weeks plus to root in rockwool....

any suggestion on what i was doing wrong.??

10. You need cloning hormones- cloning gel or powder. The jumpstart won't work solo and what's happening is your clones are just rotting not rooting.

Spend the 3 bucks and get some cloner!

11. but i had superthrive in there too....

12. Superthrive isn't for cloning bro. There aren't any rooting hormones in it... What Superthrive does is promote vegetative growth. If you use Superthrive too long into flowering your plants will begin vegging again.

You did all those clones without rooting hormones. You could have thrown out everything but the cloner, lol. You don't need Jumpstart nor Superthrive all you need is a cloning hormone like CloneX.

13. would STIMroot powder work or juicy roots gel from Advanced???

how much to use???

14. ANY rooting hormone will do. From the cheap Wal Mart crap to the expensive stuff it's all about the same.

Powder or gel works just fine. Gel is a bit better because it stays on the cutting easier but both work just fine. Just dip your clone in the cloning solution then put it in your cloning trays. There is no set amount to use- whereever that cloner touches a root will sprout.

I've even dipped clones in cloner and wrapped them in a papertowel and just plain forgot. Came across them a week later and they'd rooted like crazy grown into the paper towels. That's how powerful the stuff is ;)

15. shit son i mis-understood you, u meant to use gel or power on my clones before putting them in the cloner....i did that too.

i thought you meant to mix it in the res.

16. LOL! No no no!!!! Don't do that!!!!!!!!! Dude I'd hate myself if you'd did that and ruined your equipment.

No man the stuff goes on the clones! Take a cut from the mother plant, drop the cut end in the cloning gel/powder, then pop it in your rockwool/clone tray.

Sorry for that misunderstanding but we're all high here you know ;)

17. ya, i would cut them and dip in cloning gel or powder.... then place in the cloner...

i'll hafta pull it out and clean it , and try again.......

18. I only used Superthrive to soak cuttings for 30 minutes before making the razor cut and placing into each rockwool cube.....

Now, after several days my clones look even better than some of my earlier cloning attempts (which I used rooting hormones)....

.............I'll post after the weekend and update for all who are interested

19. so you make a cut put them in supertrive and recut again after soaking for 30mins?

you use it a full concentration when soaking?

20. ...since I had no more gel...

I started the post aking the question "What are my chances of getting success without any rooting hormone"? I rec'd a few positive opinions so I took a experimental shot...

Superthrive suggests to use the solutio(3 drops to a gallon) to soak your cuttings for 30 minutes, then make your razor cut and place into your medium (I have rockwool cubes) and they look great.... so good after 72 hours that I made 11 more clones.

They're barely drooping, and there's no leaf yellowing at all (or at least YET).....since it was an experiment/attempt to add to my grow...it's truly a BONUS*

I don't intend to make this routine for future cloning... I simply had none at the time. I was lucky, and I give thanks to "The Three Wisemen" who gave me the encouragement to give it a shot so I took a chance.... Crucifer, Darkhosis, and Cantharsis (in no particular order) thanks again;)

.... and if it failed...it would have been on me (since I did'nt wait the time to get more root gel).:eek: