silent1's closet grow (1st grow)

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by silent1, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Woke up to one more surprise this morning. The poor thing stretched like no tomorrow to try to find light. Poor baby. Oh well, it's with its brother under the lamp now, so maybe it will focus more on making leaves instead of stretching.

Moral of the story: just because your seeds don't poke thru the soil after 2 days doesn't mean they're necessarily dead. They might just be late bloomers. :D

2. repot when u have a few roots pokein out the bottom.

3. looking good! your coming up on that 2 week mark, replant should be top priority!

4. Well, I've learned some things over the last few days. Apparently, if I point the fan directly at the bulb, the temp lowers about 10 degrees. Now the temperature is about 75 degrees Farenheit on average, compared to 90 degrees before. This is good.

Also, the plants are getting more and more thirsty, which is good too. I had to increase the watering frequency a little bit, but they're ok. The leaves aren't exactly pointing straight up, but they're not wilting either, but you'll see in the pics.

I think that this is an indica strain. It looks a lot like Afgani from the pics I've seen. But then again, what do I know? I can also smell an odor, but it's nothing obtrusive, and you can only smell it if you hold it up to your nose.

Anyway, here's one of them. Note how the leaves cup, which is nice. Several nodes now too. Note that one leaf looks like its a little yellow. Hmm...

Attached Files:

5. Here's a view of that same plant, from the top.

Attached Files:

6. Here is that little one from last week. It's still growing, but it's smaller than the others. I have no idea what to think about it. Since it hasn't died yet, I left it alone. :)

Attached Files:

7. The red-headed stepchild seedling that I almost threw out. It's coming along nicely. Too bad it stretched from parental abuse. ;)

Attached Files:

8. I must be doing something right... none have died yet. :D I am gonna re-pot them this weekend. I've been busy with moving to the new place and with work.

A view from another from the top. See how the leaves droop a bit. But they're cupped. I guess that's the way they're supposed to look. I wonder what strain this is....

Attached Files:

9. Oh yeah, I finally learned how to take better photos. :D Those other ones were terrible, and these are much better.

Anyway, my babies aren't that tall, but they're definitely growing. And I haven't really done anything to them except water every now and then. The light is pretty low at 18 inches above the tops, and they're not getting burned, so I'm happy with that. Keep in mind that I put them under the paper towels on 9/14/03 at 10pm, so I'm just excited I haven't killed them yet.

That's all for this week! Next week: bigger pots. :)

Attached Files:

10. Looks good but by the droopiness of the leaves id say your watering a little too much. Other than that it looks good.

11. yip....nows the time to re-pot into at least 3 or 5 gallon pots as shade said.......also when doing so, bury the stem deeper into the new soil, bury the cotledons, that's the 2 very small round leaves that first sprout, at the bottom of the stem, ps what light is it under again, because if you've got the temp down to 75, you could try bringing the light in a bit, makes for tighter growth and better buds during flowering, certainly tighter buds if it's an HPS...........Peace out........Sid

12. aghh they're under a 400w MH......you should be able to get the light another 2" closer........i ususlly go by 4" to every 100w of power, but if it can go closer, and doesn't cause any heat damage etc, then you can..........Peace out.......Sid

13. Repotted them today in 9" pots. They needed it!!! The roots wrapped all around the cups. The bad part is I can only fit 7 pots in the space comfortably, so I am gonna donate the small seedlings to a friend. Oh well, down to 7 max for now. Other than that, I had to hang the fan from above, and I point it at the reflector to cool it a bit. We'll see how things go in a few days. :)

14. yeah good thing you transplanted them, did you cut down on watering a bit?

15. I will. I haven't watereed them since Monday. I wet part of the new soil, but most of it is a combination of new dry soil, and existing soil which was a little moist. I think the mistake I made was watering them until water came out the holes, which is bad.

16. what i do when that happens......when re-potted and the outer soil is dryer than the actual root soil, is just to add water to the dry soil, and avoid the root soil, so as when the roots reach out the new soil will be moist for them, i also add some superthrive in to help the roots along........Peace out........Sid

17. Yup, they like their new homes now! :D

Attached Files:

18. there you go! looking good and healthy! :)

19. Week 3. Everything is looking good. I guess I'll post pics less frequent until flowering or pruning starts.

Attached Files:

20. More.

Attached Files: