Side Project.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by CannabisKings, May 9, 2012.

1. The Briefing:
    I am currently in the process of looking for a new place to begin my indoor forest, but for the time being I've decided to toy around with mother nature and the elements and see what they can grace me with. In no way am I expecting to sit back, pack bongs, roll doobs and leave it to the earth to provide me with the ever-so-sweet sensimilia... but for the most part I'm going to keep this as basic as possible.
    I have decent relative knowledge in the field of cannabis cultivation (more so with indoor growing), but make no hesitation in correcting or critiquing! I'm doing this for the sole purpose of gaining more knowledge, and in hopes that I can also help others gain knowledge. Don't be shy!

The Situation: (and I'm not talkin' buff, orange, Italian and metrosexual)
    This post probably should've happened a few weeks earlier, but the schedules been jammin'.
    As of now, I have 3 plants under the sun, all of which are "rescues".
    Long story short, a buddy of mine started some babies from seed, raised them indoors for about 3 weeks on the first batch, and only a week on the second before he decided he no longer had the time/resources to give them the attention they need. Being the Canna-sseuer I am, I gladly took them under my wing in hopes I could provide the TLC necessary. Took in 12 plants, divided them up with another friend who is of equal ability and embarked on Project..... Bubba-afghan-purple-goo-cheese.
    I knew that moving these plants outdoors at such a young age after becoming accustomed to 18/6 (light period on/off) and a constant 70degrees would stress the hell out of them, especially considering this A-Town weather has still been dipping below 50 some nights (and even lower occasionally), so I kept them in the basement for the first 2 weeks under 450watts CFL 18/6 still and ranging the temp between 60-65.
    After I was confident they were hearty enough I moved them outdoors. Within 2 weeks I had chopped 2 plants that threw up pollen sacs, and later removed a 3rd that herm'd out on me, and was beyond saving.
    So now I'm left with 3 plants, 1 from my buddy's first batch, and 2 smaller from the second.
    Of these, the oldest is currently flowering, one of the smaller has herm'd, BUT I believe I have fixed that problem, as I removed the male flowers as soon as they appeared and since, she (I'm hoping it's a she, at least) has shown strictly vegetative growth. :hello:As for the other, it's remained relatively small, but is now really beginning to show some decent veg. growth.

The shift of climate/environment really seemed to stress the plants, as expected, but even more than I thought (force-flowering nearly all of them). Possibly due to the 42degree nights following 75degree days over the first weekend they saw of the outdoors. Overall though, I'm happy with where I stand so far, as I'll get to have a little taste of the bud earlier than expected. :yummy:

This is only the beginning.

Of course I'll be updating regularly on these plants, BUT in about 2 weeks or so (whenever my schedule permits), I'll be starting 20 more seeds to add to the outdoor extravaganza. Only these are going to lack the environment switch, hopefully allowing me to accomplish my original intention... To grow something BIG. Large. Grande. I see all of these insane journals and logs of ridiculously massive outdoor beasts, and it makes me oh so happy, but OH. SO. JEALOUS!
    This is my attempt of something at least a QUARTER the size of some of those giants. Who knows, maybe we'll end up with a monster?

That's all I've got for now.
    No nutrients have been given to the babies, the flower-girl has been given small amounts of the remaining bit of Foxfarm big bloom from a prior grow, but nothing on a schedule (I know, I know.....). Watering lightly twice daily, and all plants are getting full sun for majority of the day. Organic soil mix from a local nursery that uses their own "recipe", but I've added a touch of perlite.
    I DO plan on upping my nutrient for the upcoming batch though. Suggestions? Lemme hear 'em!
    As I said, I'm going to TRY to keep this basic, but I tend to spoil my herbs so if this ends up going big, so be it. I'm a go with the flow kinda guy. :cool: :smoking:

All I want out of this is to obtain fresh knowledge, some funky green, and hopefully expand the knowledge of others.
    It's gro-time!

Here's a little peak and the baby-girl showing her flowers. Shots taken this past friday:

Attached Files:

2. 2 little guys haved been removed from the operation. One was unfortunately munched on by a critter of some sort, and the other began to flower male.
    Flowering female still going strong. Decent growth pace, no signs of damage/stress/pests. Also now surrounded with chicken wire as to protect from the little bugger that devoured the baby. :hello:
    Time will tell.
    Next batch of seeds are on deck and ready for germ. Going to prep. the germ. tray tonight, and hopefully get them in by the end of the week.

Would it be best to germinate them indoors under sufficient lighting, and then move them outside once the seedling is stable, or just germinate outdoors?
    Weather isn't as radical as it had been. Been staying between 60-80 for the most part.

3. Little bit more frost. Trich's starting to get a bit milky.
    Knocked off a really small weak bud site from a low node and tossed it in the bowl for the hell of it. :smoke:

Attached Files: